Why become a member? ×

Wings or The Beatles

deepbass5

As the old joke goes.... "both bands spoiled by a woman".

Niether were my favourite bands ever but both produced one or two of my favourite songs ever.

I really have to say The Beatles for their influence and legacy... if nothing else.

Edited by thepurpleblob

My vote is for the beatles

My all time favourite beatles song and bass line is "all my loving"

Here is a link to the song with the bass sound that i could find on youtube - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLozc5DY-UQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLozc5DY-UQ[/url]

I love the original version the best :)

Edited by Chris Horton

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1331503674' post='1573970']
The Beatles, no argument whatsoever really.
[/quote]
Absoluteley! McCartney had already made his mark as a bass player long before Wings. While Wings had some great songs, they really didn't [i]'up'[/i] PM's reputation as a bass player any further.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1331505784' post='1574018']
Absoluteley! McCartney had already made his mark as a bass player long before Wings. While Wings had some great songs, they really didn't [i]'up'[/i] PM's reputation as a bass player any further.
[/quote]

Absolutely.... though I think Wings definitely bought him forward as a songwriter

I'm gonna have to go with the concensus (at the moment at least) and say the Beatles when it comes to the overall 'promotion' of Bass - they really made huge inroads into the music scene and pretty much put Britain 'on the map' on the worldwide music stage.

I think Wings was probably a welcome departure from the routine of the Beatles and allowed him to both mature as a musician and have more creative control over songwriting.

I'd say Beatles every day of the week and twice on sundays.

Wings was a massive come-down which mainly gave credence to the observation that Lennon was the better writer..altho, I wouldn't go that far having heard some of his solo stuff.
They both REALLY needed the other person, IMO.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1331550294' post='1574443']
I'd say Beatles every day of the week and twice on sundays.

Wings was a massive come-down which mainly gave credence to the observation that Lennon was the better writer..altho, I wouldn't go that far having heard some of his solo stuff.
They both REALLY needed the other person, IMO.
[/quote]

Agreed. The Beatles every time.

Beatles, for sure. McCartney has a gift with melody, no doubt about it, but he needed Lennon's cynical edge to reign in the twee factor. There were still plenty of Beatles tracks where he edged over the borders of good taste, though... Honey Pie, Maxwell's Silver Hammer... urgh.

Because Paul CONTINUED his bass contributions with Wings , and becasue Wings was - in my opinion - the Paul Mac Project and much less of a band than the Beatles...

I'll go with the Beatles. Michelle being a fave of mine , and Penny Lane.

Having said that I always noodle around with Silly Love Songs as a warm up exercise.

[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1331550442' post='1574449']
Beatles, for sure. McCartney has a gift with melody, no doubt about it, but he needed Lennon's cynical edge to reign in the twee factor. There were still plenty of Beatles tracks where he edged over the borders of good taste, though... Honey Pie, Maxwell's Silver Hammer... urgh.
[/quote]

Hmm, strange that the bass on these two less popular songs was played by George Harrison.

When I was learning the bass, a mate played me the Beatles song, Rain, I had never heard the bass played so high up the neck prior to that, I loved it!
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ppKhsgYMxI&feature=fvwrel"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ppKhsgYMxI&feature=fvwrel[/url]

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1331551137' post='1574470']
When I was learning the bass, a mate played me the Beatles song, Rain, I had never heard the bass played so high up the neck prior to that, I loved it!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ppKhsgYMxI&feature=fvwrel[/media]
[/quote]

Brilliant! I love it. McCartney and George Martin actually did start to spend a lot of time looking at how the bass got recorded after it became apparent that a lot of their sound rested on what was happening with Paul's incredibly melodic approach to playing. Superb stuff.