Why become a member? ×

Practice rooms - Bad experience!

LemonCello

So here's the story. The band goes to a new studio Friday night for a couple of hours. Very nice too, big room and good kit. Rehearsal was good, we pay our twenty quid and off we go. Happened to go out without my mobile yesterday and when I got home 8 missed calls and a text from said studio "ring me back ASAP". I phoned back to be told "a Shure 58 has gone missing and you were the only band in last night, so you must have nicked it" "Whoa" I said, hang on a minute, where's your evidence? "You were the only band in so it must have been you" says he. Now I haven't been with this band long but we all work and I can't imagine for a minute that anyone's stolen anything.

Unbeknown to me, he's also texted our guitarist, full of swearing and accusations of theft, gonna get the police involved etc etc. Anyway, long story short the band knows nothing about a nicked microphone and we phone him and tell him so. An hour or so after this, I get another phone call from the studio - he's discovered that his mate had taken the Mic home with him without telling him!

To be fair, he did apologise, and so he should I reckon - just handled it all wrong!

Question is do we go back?

LC

Guess I'm going to be the odd one out here.

Is it possible the guy involved was just having a particularly bad day ? overtired perhaps ?

is it very likely that a studio is going to hire someone with generally poor public relation skills ? I do wonder if it was a case of exceptional circumstances here.

It may be worth going back and trying to get to know the individual concerned a little better. It may be worth it in the long run, as after all, a good reputation at the studio can go a long way.

Just my 2p

I can see why he would have made that assumption, however he should have spoken to all employees at the studio first, before contacting the band and making accusations. Even when contacting, the right way would have been to ask if anyone mistakenly packed the mike away in their gear, and could everyone have a look, and get back to him either way.

Agree a freebie should be on offer, as way of apology.

Last year whilst rehersing regularly at Berkley in Glasgow, Steve the owner called me and asked if our drummer had taken away the clutch from the kit whilst packing his gear away. Called the drummer who checked and it turned out he had. Called back Steve who was just grateful he had it, promised to bring it back in the next time, job done.

I think it`s like most things in life, it`s how you speak to people. This guy sounds like a total noob and if you have other good options, I would go elsewhere. Sod getting accused of being a theif.

Jez

As the guy rang back and apologised when he found out he was wrong, he's probably very embarrased about the acusations he made.

I reckon the relationship between the studio and the band will have changed significantly and you'll be on the 'good guys' list now.

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1330866529' post='1563947']

Is it possible the guy involved was just having a particularly bad day ? overtired perhaps ?

is it very likely that a studio is going to hire someone with generally poor public relation skills ? I do wonder if it was a case of exceptional circumstances here.

It may be worth going back and trying to get to know the individual concerned a little better. It may be worth it in the long run, as after all, a good reputation at the studio can go a long way.

Just my 2p
[/quote]

I buy all of that. But it's a business, and the customer is king, etc, etc. If one of my suppliers rang me up and accused me of theft, including dosing me with some choice words, I'd tell him to take himself at his word. And then never place any more business with them.

It's up to the OP if he wants to give them another chance; to my mind, he doesn't have to. He doesn't owe them, I'd think they owe him and should make nice about it.

Edited by Gust0o

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1330870113' post='1564064']
I reckon the relationship between the studio and the band will have changed significantly and you'll be on the 'good guys' list now.
[/quote]

This. He now owes you one. Everyone deserves a second chance. As has been said, he may just have had a sh*tty day.

I've just spoken to the rest of the band and we've decided that we will go back. Hopefully the guy will apologise mano a mano and we can all move on. He's young which is probably why he handled it in the wrong way. We're gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and see how it goes.

You live and learn.

As the guy rang back and apologised when he found out he was wrong, he's probably very embarrased about the acusations he made.

[/quote]

Yeah, absolutely right. Just let it go,

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1330866529' post='1563947']

Just my 2p
[/quote]
Having run a rehearsal studio i can see where he is coming from although a bit more diplomacy would have been nicer.

Poorly handled but can imagine that, like most studios, he's sick of people blowing his amps, pinching cables etc etc. Go back. Everyone gets a 2nd chance. Judging by how he handled the missing mic I doubt he'll be forthcoming with a free session but well worth asking. If anything like this happens again then knock it on the head.

[/quote]

and another +1, you could make light of it - and say something like "Of course you do realise we expect cheaper rates now"

[sub][size=4][size=5]If you do go back, I'd let him know that it was a close call about boycotting the place. If someone upsets you, they have to be told about it.[/size][/size][/sub]

[sub][size=4][size=5]Good practice space is hard to come by so if this is the best for you then, yep, its' worth pursuing[/size][/size][/sub]

[quote name='LemonCello' timestamp='1330861173' post='1563815']
So here's the story. The band goes to a new studio Friday night for a couple of hours. Very nice too, big room and good kit. Rehearsal was good, we pay our twenty quid and off we go. Happened to go out without my mobile yesterday and when I got home 8 missed calls and a text from said studio "ring me back ASAP". I phoned back to be told "a Shure 58 has gone missing and you were the only band in last night, so you must have nicked it" "Whoa" I said, hang on a minute, where's your evidence? "You were the only band in so it must have been you" says he. Now I haven't been with this band long but we all work and I can't imagine for a minute that anyone's stolen anything.

Unbeknown to me, he's also texted our guitarist, full of swearing and accusations of theft, gonna get the police involved etc etc. Anyway, long story short the band knows nothing about a nicked microphone and we phone him and tell him so. An hour or so after this, I get another phone call from the studio - he's discovered that his mate had taken the Mic home with him without telling him!

To be fair, he did apologise, and so he should I reckon - just handled it all wrong!

Question is do we go back?

LC
[/quote]

+1 to a free practice. Which rehearsal rooms is it?