Why become a member? ×

IBASS MAG Dead and buried.

blamelouis

I emailed them about 6 weeks ago, trying to find out whether I could backdate a subscription and pick up the back issues. I never got a reply.

Have they gone bump then?

Edited by tredders

I may try the same thing with my new idea [i]iGuitar online[/i], £30 for 12 issues, Put out one issue then declare it bankrupt, so i dont need to repay anyone legally. Lovely jubbly

Then theres, iDrummer, iTrombone, iVibrator, the list is endless. (Hey why am i giving away all these good ideas ?)

I'll see if I can get hold of him for an update and let you know.

Although the business is based on an online service some people don't always properly gauge the importance of forums and how the public (customers) use them. Perhaps the shift from printed media to online content was more difficult than expected in this respect.

Cheers

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1330886660' post='1564396']
I thought this was an on-line project only?

What printed media did it come from?
[/quote]

He was a staffer for Guitar Buyer and the editor of Bass Guitar Mag before setting up iBass.

To be honest the whole thing smelled like a rip off right from the start. They were touting the exact same articles and interviews available in other online bass mags and sites, but asking for money. I couldn't believe it when I visited the preview then to go further I had to pay.
Ludicrous.
I think people either want forums or site like bass musician magazine, no treble etc or they want a hard copy like bass player mag.
Can anyone tell me if iBass had adverts in it as well?
Cheers

We should remember that this thread is in an area of the site viewable to the public. It would be legally unwise to suggest any underhand or fraudulent behaviour by the proprietor of IBass before the facts have fully been ascertained.

Unless, of course, anyone really wants to be on the end of an action for libel / defamation. Perhaps it might be best if this thread were locked by the admins until such time as the affiliate partner has clarified their position.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1330888153' post='1564434']
We should remember that this thread is in an area of the site viewable to the public. It would be legally unwise to suggest any underhand or fraudulent behaviour by the proprietor of IBass before the facts have fully been ascertained.

Unless, of course, anyone really wants to be on the end of an action for libel / defamation. Perhaps it might be best if this thread were locked by the admins until such time as the affiliate partner has clarified their position.
[/quote]
Seconded if thats how these things work. Wise words.

I emailed today and got this reply

Thanks for the email.. great to hear from you.

We've been delaying the release of issue 03 while we implement some pretty big changes to the way in which iBass works. Essentially, we're dividing each issue and making the main pages available for free. We're also introducing a new area called 'iBass Xtra', which will give paying subscribers access to a bunch of exclusive pages featuring extended video edits, subscriber only interviews, lessons and competitions. We're also making iBass available on the iPad this month.. It's all taken some time to re-program hence the delay, but we're almost there now and aim to be back up and running this week.

Once again, apologies for the wait and please do let us know your thoughts on these changes. If you're not entirely happy by all means give us a call and we'll happily offer you a refund. But, if you can bear with us I honestly believe that the changes we're making are for the better. 

Thanks again for the email.. and for your patience!

Nick Wells
Editor

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1330886358' post='1564392']Perhaps the shift from printed media to online content was more difficult than expected in this respect.[/quote]
It's not difficult. Been there. Done that. And my experience was 2002, with today's advantages it's a breeze.
[quote name='Maxcat' timestamp='1330902457' post='1564721']We've been delaying the release of issue 03 while we implement some pretty big changes to the way in which iBass works. ...[/quote]
In the publishing industry, as in other industries, you run in parallel when implementing new practices/procedures, so I'm not finding the explanation all that credible. When you're contracted to deliver a product to subscribers that's the overriding consideration, and takes precedence over enhancements being made to a product.