Why become a member? ×

Are Squiers actually any good?

lxxwj

I've been thinking about getting a cheap bass, and there's this one Squier
lefty with P/J pickups that plays pretty nice. However, I was playing through an
awesome (to my ear) Fender Rumble 150 at the time. Are Squier basses actually any good?
I think I might get it and then convert my old Peavey to a fretless..

I've got a lefty 2008 Indonesian made Squier PJ.In terms of build quality,finish and playability I can't fault it,and I have used it in preference to my 78 Fender P,as it's a lot lighter.And black.The pickups are the weak spot,slot in some aftermarket pickups and in my opinion you'll have a very good bass.

Edited by Spike Vincent

I bought a 10 year old, made in Indonesia, standard Squier, 3rd or 4th hand for £95 ($150). It played and sounded great. The neck was slightly out of alignment with the bridge but nothing too bad. The newer ones such as the VM or classic vibe are even better.

I hate to say it but at the time I had a Geddy Lee Jazz and a 62 reissue both made in Japan. Guess which one I preferred playing?

My nephew has started playing bass so I gave it away to him.

I'm seriously thinking of buying another standard Squier Jazz (if anybody has one going cheap - black or sunburst please).

Edited by gjones

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1330189958' post='1553964']
Sounds good! :D Glad I wasn't just hallucinating at the playability
of that bass!
[/quote]
The thing is,if you think it plays and/or sounds great it doesn't matter what make it is and how
much it costs (unless you are worried about what other people think..in which case,get over it).

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1330189740' post='1553957']
I've got a lefty 2008 Indonesian made Squier PJ.In terms of build quality,finish and playability I can't fault it,and I have used it in preference to my 78 Fender P,as it's a lot lighter.And black.The pickups are the weak spot,slot in some aftermarket pickups and in my opinion you'll have a very good bass.
[/quote]
I think that's the Affinity Series, I tried one and yes, fit and finish great but the tone was best described as muddy. I've got budget (£15) P bass pickups in my twin neck and the tone is infinitely better. (I tried the Squire next to a Westfiled P and that also had a better sound. I don't think you need to spend big bucks to improve an Affinity.

As said many times. The Squier VM and CV series are both well made from cheap parts. A very worthwhile purchase in their own right and you can get some that play better than even the American Fenders.

I have one such VM and it started out as a really playable bass with some shortcomings in the equipment stakes however, having upgraded everything but the neck I now have great sounding and loud pickups, solid hardware and a bass that I would pitch against any Fender or clone in terms of playability and against any Fender in terms of build quality ;) . All bought new for less than the cheapest Fenders available (except the body - which is a Fender).

[quote name='StraightSix' timestamp='1330189522' post='1553951']
If you get a good one they are as good as anything else IMHO.

Many owners rate the Squier VM series and the CV series better than the genuine Fenders...
[/quote]yep there can be a jem, but that statement may be a broad one.. i think most Fenders made in Japan are better than the USA models..

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1330189340' post='1553945']there's this one Squier lefty with P/J pickups that plays pretty nice. However, I was playing through an
awesome (to my ear) Fender Rumble 150 at the time.[/quote]

The playability of the bass has got nothing to do with the way it sounds... as many have said (and with which I would agree) some Squiers can play brilliantly, but often their tone can be a disappointment (particularly the Affinities). Whip oot the pickups and put in some cheap but decent ones and the difference is incredible!

If your hands tell you that a bass is a good 'un, then it's a good 'un!

I have 2 squiers at the mo and they are both good. I have upgraded some of the hardware with half decent budget gear and have gigged them lots and I have never had any complaints. Like all mass produced things, if you get a good un, bingo!!

Jez

Edited by jezzaboy

Yes. And I was skeptical too until I got a Squier Matt Freeman Signature Precision. It just plays so good and sounds like it should. I previously have owned a Fender Sting Signature Precision, a 2008 Fender American Standard Precision and a late 90's Fender Japanese 70's Reissue Precision. None of them were as inspiring in tone or playability as the Matt Freeman - and I am genuinely surprised by that.

I've had three Squiers in recent years, and yeah, I'd say they're pretty great nowadays, although that definitely hasn't always been the case.

My first bass was an affinity Precision, sometime around 1999-2000, and it wasn't really up to much. In 2008, I had a VM Jazz to keep me busy when I was living in New Zealand for a while, and it was an absolutely amazing instrument... I'd definitely have another one of those right now if I could justify having one. Again, I moved to the US for a couple of months, and bought a Squier Jaguar (the non-VM cheap one with the P/J pickups) - it felt pretty decent, although maybe not quite up to the standards of the VM/CV models. The fit and finish was pretty decent, I just didn't really care for the pickups or the active electronics - something you could very easily rectify later with some fairly simple modifications.

I'm gonna be totally 'up front' here and admit that my experience with Squier is based on the brand when it first appeared.

By the time you've bought a Squier, replaced the pickups, upgraded the electronics, put a new set of machine heads on it and maybe pushed the boat out and fitted a new bridge - wouldn't it have been cheaper and quicker to have bought an MIA in the first place... :blink: