Why become a member? ×

Are Squiers actually any good?

lxxwj

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1330444842' post='1557588']
My VM had rusty screws and pole pieces after 3 gigs! (see my other post about acidic sweat!) but I've kept the screws on as it looks more authentic :)
[/quote]

I think I'm the same y'know :P

Does the rust affect the pole pieces at all? My '91 had the rusty bits when I got it..

[quote name='Leon Transaxle' timestamp='1330545816' post='1559260']
I hope they are. I'm getting one Friday.
[/quote]

Worth the money, as you can see is the general consensus :)

[quote name='Valhalalf' timestamp='1330340883' post='1555809']
I'm currently looking at getting the Deluxe V active jazz bass as I want an active 5 string jazz with full size jazz body, jazz string spacing and 4+1 tuners on a traditional style headstock. The Deluxe ticks all the boxes and the price tag doesn't scare the wife.
[/quote]
I have a jazz and I was surprised at the wide spacing on the deluxe - it was very much wider than I expected

[quote name='Jayben' timestamp='1330546302' post='1559277']

Does the rust affect the pole pieces at all?

[/quote]

Yes my pole pieces are quite rusty (not the original pickups though). But you know people pay a fortune for that authentic vintage sound from old '60s and '70s pickups because they 'break up' nicely - that's the rust. Eventually they will go microphonic (which can be addressed) but its the corrosion of the windings that causes them to fail, by the time the rust on the poles spreads to the windings it will probably have already gone microphonic. I don't think theres anything wrong with a bit of rust on the top of the pole pieces though :)

Without reading the first 3 pages out of pure lazyness, I would say they definitely are. My first instrument was an old Squier strat which to be honest was awful. There was a huge gap in both sides of the neck, sharp frets, uneven neck and shoddy electronics. I have, however owned a classic vibe duo-sonic which was just as good as some american fenders I've played. Squiers these days can be a hit and miss but so can anything. They were generally pretty awful about 10 years ago but they are getting even better as the days go by. The first, Japanese Squiers were great though.

I think Fender make the new "modern player" series at the Squier factory in China. I'm not sure though... wouldn't surprise me.

Gutted! Despite my misgivings about P bass tone (pedestrian..) I still want one for that kind of song :0)
Anyway, made an offer on a L/H Squier Cort factory 90's P bass. Heard nothing for 2 days.

I gave up thinking the offer was too derisory to the owner. I go and buy a s/h Hohner B2A.

2 hours later, email arrives accepting my offer for the Squier. nooooooooooooooo!!

I need to see a doctor, terrible case of GAS...

I've got two bass guitars, one is a 1991 Warwick Thumb, the other is a Squier Standard Jazz (fake walnut finish) that IIRC I paid fellow basschatter cd_david £100 for on a platform at Newcastle Central station.

I've since replaced the bridge (iffy A-string saddle) and the pots (wanted to try 500k volume pots), tone cap (.1uF - I was in a reggae band at the time) and fitted a series/parallel push/pull tone pot (BOOM!) but the actual pickups are still the stock pickups and after spending maybe £30 on hardware (and to be fair, more on strings - it's got LaBella 760FLs on it) it sounds and plays fantastic. I use it for '60s soul and rocksteady sounds and my word it is the business, even recorded. Also took it to a gig earlier this month where another bassist (who has a £10,000 double bass) asked if he could play it for one tune he was doing, and he loved it.

One downside: It has a bit of a dead spot on the lowest G#. Real shame. It's like a rescue shelter dog where there's just one little niggling thing that lets it down. But hey, my double bass has a dead spot in the same place, and I've bought basses for over a grand that had dead spots, it seems unfair to pick on the Squier.

In short: The standards are OMFG cheap, but there's very little wrong with them. Mine is honestly a keeper. Limited role, but a keeper.

Edited by thisnameistaken

• 1 month later...

I bought a L/H Squire vintage modified Jazz a couple of years ago, it is a great gigging bass, I did change the strings and bridge though,( D`Adario XL`s and a Schaller 3 D roller bridge) the fit and finish on my bass is the equal to any Fender that I have seen upto the american standards!

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1330189740' post='1553957']
I've got a lefty 2008 Indonesian made Squier PJ.In terms of build quality,finish and playability I can't fault it,and I have used it in preference to my 78 Fender P,as it's a lot lighter.And black.The pickups are the weak spot,slot in some aftermarket pickups and in my opinion you'll have a very good bass.
[/quote]

I did exactly that,with my 2004 Squier PJ.
And also put on some flatwounds-awesome It's my no1 go to bass.
wouldnt ever part with it

I have a lefty VM Jazz in Maple and its a corker! nicest neck I've ever played on, good variety of sound, cost £249! May at some point put on a high mass bridge and batter machine heads as they are probably the weak link in the chain, bue hey, its a budget bass and I've played many more expensive basses that aren't as good overall.

My brother has a squier stratocaster from the '90s - it's an absolute beauty. He's in the process of refinishing it as we speak and sanded all of the laquer and paint off expecting to find a 3-piece body. It's solid bodied. Cheap as chips and outplays his Fender.

ive been fortunate enough to luck out with a really nice affinity J - even straight off the peg it is good - ive changed the bridge for a heavier one which deffo did improve and the only other mod i have in mind is installing a pair of wizards

the shop i bought it from had some mim j's and p's but there was no significant improvement over the afinity - guess i was lucky to find a good one :) but it might not be 'all' luck as im sure this is a tale you will hear often repeated