Why become a member? ×

Am I a wuss...?

Evil Undead

For not being able to cope with basses much over 8.5lbs?

I find that 9lbs is my absolute maximum (partly due to back trouble and partly because I'm a weakling girl), which hasn't really been a problem in the past. But now that I'm looking for a Fender Precision I find that anything that I come across that's in my price range, in a colour that I like and with a maple fretboard is between 9-10 lbs, sometimes even more.

Has this been a problem for anyone else, or should I just "man up"?

No, you`re not a wuss.

However, I too have a bad back/shoulder, and my previous Precisions were usually under 9 lbs. When I bought my 77, it weighed 10 lbs. And with the strap length I used, it was a tad heavy, and made my shoulder ache a fair bit. So I raised the strap - not too much, I play in a punk band, too high wouldn`t be right - and now it`s fine. To be honest, the heavier bass at that strap height is less of a pull than my 8.8 lb basses slung lower.

Just a thought, it worked for me, maybe for you as well.

Yeah, you big jessy, you ;)

Any risk with the back is a serious one. I'm built like proverbial sh*tehouse, played rugby for years and hit the gym regularly... And slipped a disc doing something totally f***ing innocuous, after not heeding the warning signs.

Damage to the back is often permanent and certainly painful. If it's not comfortable, don't do if - and power to you :)

As well as Lozz's strap height advice, I was wondering if you use a comfort strap (or other padded ergonomic strap)?

They can really improve weight distribution across your shoulders. I'd also say maybe try a double strap? It's essentially two straps that go over one shoulder each and meet behind you back. Ultra comfy and makes a 15lb bass seem like nothing! They don't look very cool though!

Truckstoo

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1329986734' post='1550718']

[b]Damage to the back is often permanent and certainly painful[/b]. If it's not comfortable, don't do if - and power to you :)
[/quote]

+1 on both counts in my case. Being a musician is supposed to be fun - where's the fun in having constant back pain?

Yeah, be comfortable first and foremost. I have neck and shoulder issues so sympathise completely, but for me it's less about weight (though it is still a factor) than it is ergonomics; the Warlock 5 that I used to play looked great and forced me into some very 'metal' poses, but it hurt like hell so it had to go! Was a sad day, but better than living on Diclofenac.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1329986288' post='1550707']
I don't think your a wuss. You need to be comfortable when you play and your health comes first.
[/quote]

Big +1. I used to comfortably bench press 100kg for 8 reps, was able to do sets of 10 strict curls with 60lb dumbells and did aikido. I now have 2 slipped discs and shoulder problems and even my 8.5lb-9lb Rics are giving me trouble; I'm also starting to get fed up with carting my ABM500 about(35lb-ish?). If you're a wuss I'm twice one. The only wuss in my book is somebody who's scared of saying when they're having problems.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1329987625' post='1550735']
As well as Lozz's strap height advice, I was wondering if you use a comfort strap (or other padded ergonomic strap)?[/quote]

is what I was gonna post. The straps I use for bass and my guitars are very wide, for the comfort. They also happen to be shiny and reflective B)

Aerodynes are great basses and very light. Fender HMT, semi hollow, Peizo, active, thump to chainsaw.Sadly rare and pricy.
Many basses made from Basswood are very light (Fender Japan make quite a few, as do other companies).
The weakest point on many of them are the pick ups, but DiMarzio WillPowers/Seymour Duncans will sort that out.
I know this stuff coz I have been a gear tart :lol: who is desperately trying , and failing, to go cold turkey.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1329988462' post='1550751']
I now have 2 slipped discs and shoulder problems and even my 8.5lb-9lb Rics are giving me trouble; I'm also starting to get fed up with carting my ABM500 about(35lb-ish?).
[/quote]
It's no fun, is it?
I've got a herniated lumbar disc & I'm sat here psyching myself up ready to get my 73lb EBS combo downstairs ready for a recording session this afternoon.

Maybe a workaround on this is to find a Precision that`s the right colour scheme/weight. Buy it, and put a replacement maple neck on it, if you had to go down the rosewood route.

For info, my US Precisions that I had, the 1997, 2006 & 2007, they were all between 8.8 & 8.10 lbs.

Whereas the MIMs i had were all 9.4 lbs.

[quote name='sk8' timestamp='1329985955' post='1550700']
No is the short answer!
[/quote]

How heavy is that USA Precision of yours Mike? I'm curious.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1329986321' post='1550708']
No, you`re not a wuss.

However, I too have a bad back/shoulder, and my previous Precisions were usually under 9 lbs. When I bought my 77, it weighed 10 lbs. And with the strap length I used, it was a tad heavy, and made my shoulder ache a fair bit. So I raised the strap - not too much, I play in a punk band, too high wouldn`t be right - and now it`s fine. To be honest, the heavier bass at that strap height is less of a pull than my 8.8 lb basses slung lower.

Just a thought, it worked for me, maybe for you as well.
[/quote]

I have my bass fairly high anyway (waist-ish) - otherwise my beer gut wouldn't let me reach the strings :D

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1329987625' post='1550735']
As well as Lozz's strap height advice, I was wondering if you use a comfort strap (or other padded ergonomic strap)?

They can really improve weight distribution across your shoulders. I'd also say maybe try a double strap? It's essentially two straps that go over one shoulder each and meet behind you back. Ultra comfy and makes a 15lb bass seem like nothing! They don't look very cool though!

Truckstoo
[/quote]

I have a padded leather strap that's about 2.5" wide. I don't know if that's sufficient?

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1330001463' post='1551104']

How heavy is that USA Precision of yours Mike? I'm curious.

[/quote]

I don't know. I'm curious now. I'll have to weigh it and let you know :)

Have a CV 60's Precision now as well so can do a comparision.

Any risk with the back is a serious one. I'm built like proverbial sh*tehouse, played rugby for years and hit the gym regularly... And slipped a disc doing something totally f***ing innocuous, after not heeding the warning signs.

[/quote]

My story is very similar: Rugby, gym, (and rowing) slipped disc in neck.

I acquired an Overwater padded strap a few years ago that is the widest and most comfortable I've yet found. The amp and cabs are now very easy for me to lump around and aside from the OW all my basses are relatively light. I couldn't tell you exactly what my Precision weighs but I'm sure its around 8lbs.

So don't force yourself to carry things that will damage your skeleton in the medium to long term. It really isn't worth it.

If you're commited to keeping the bass you've got why not think about a Status graphite neck? They are £250+ but weigh next to nothing..You could always replace the original neck if you decide to sell the bass - I don't expect too many problems trying to sell a Status Graphite neck..

Sounds like it's time for a parts bass. Head over to guitarfetish.com and check out their lightweight bodies. They're made of Paulownia, which is quite soft and very light. It's very resonant and works well for guitars, and seems to be gaining popularity. They'll build up into a bass well below 8lbs.

As you'd expect for ~$55 apparently quality can be a bit variable and they're not the most detail perfect bodies ever from what I hear (things like contours and roundover radius not being perfect) but worth a try if you need something light on a budget?

Caveat: I've not played one.

Now dont laugh..but i have been using orthotic insoles in all my shoes for the past 18 months (I said don't laugh) and I cant remember the last time i had significant back pain after a gig. I used to use a comfort strap but don't even bother with that now i just have a wide leather strap. It may not be the case with all back pain but i have certainly found the correction of posture due to the use of insoles has helped me enormously. Not much use if you are wearing heels but if you have trainers or fairly flat shoes they can work wonders.

Yeah, you big jessy, you ;)

Damage to the back is often permanent and certainly painful. If it's not comfortable, don't do if - and power to you :)
[/quote]

There was a prog on the telly the other day which said that most back damage was caused by bad posture and powerful back and stomach muscles rather than the actual weight you're lifting. Your own back muscles damage the back, and cause most slipped disks.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1329985635' post='1550686']
For not being able to cope with basses much over 8.5lbs?

I find that 9lbs is my absolute maximum (partly due to back trouble and partly because I'm a weakling girl), which hasn't really been a problem in the past. But now that I'm looking for a Fender Precision I find that anything that I come across that's in my price range, in a colour that I like and with a maple fretboard is between 9-10 lbs, sometimes even more.

Has this been a problem for anyone else, or should I just "man up"?
[/quote]

You are not a wussy at all. I've suffered with back and shoulder problems so I know it can be VERY painful indeed. Try using a wide strap or a cushioned one (or both) if the bass is a bit heavy. Or has been suggested, raise your bass up on the strap a bit. You can get light weight Fender Precisions anyway such as the Japanese made Precision Lyte amongst others.

Edited by clarkpegasus4001