Why become a member? ×

Please beware TC power ratings...I didn't...

basstech

Hmm, surprised by this thread.

Charic's rig is the first rig ive been properly impressed with for ages, yet not getting a lot of love here? Considering buying a TC setup but now... Hmmm... Need to go and try one again first... Particularly IVO the outlay

[quote name='Stag' timestamp='1329782116' post='1547448']
....Hmm, surprised by this thread....

Charic's rig is the first rig ive been properly impressed with for ages, yet not getting a lot of love here? Considering buying a TC setup but now... Hmmm... Need to go and try one again first...
[/quote]

What surprises me is that you've heard a TC rig, liked it, been impressed by it... then you seem to think that because people are posting against TC, somehow that didn’t happen!!

The Staccato is as loud as my Thunderfunk and the RH750 is much louder than that. If that isn’t the case then it’s down to user error. The only thing to worry about is do you like the tone.

You already heard it so you should know that!!

The tc stuff is no doubt 'loud' and sounds great within a certain range but I think the APM does diminish some of the dynamic sound of the amp overall. I guess the responses to this just shows up the fact that amp sound/tone is very subjective and we have different preferences depending on our own interpretation of the output.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1329778845' post='1547377']

+1...low mid kick is what I'd say the RH amps have in spades...
[/quote]

I guess that illustrates the differences in taste we all have.

I found it almost completely lacking in low-mid kick, and that's after wrestling with it for 100-or so-gigs over a year.

I'm starting to wonder if we have different definitions of "low-mid kick" here :lol:

[quote name='Stag' timestamp='1329782116' post='1547448']
Hmm, surprised by this thread.

Charic's rig is the first rig ive been properly impressed with for ages, yet not getting a lot of love here? Considering buying a TC setup but now... Hmmm... Need to go and try one again first... Particularly IVO the outlay
[/quote]

That's not surprising considering the elapsed time and the write-ups of late mate. Feel free to give me a shout if ever you're in the area :)

Yep cheers mate. I wasnt having a go, just seems that there are so many differing opinions floating about on these at the minute when before I didnt hear a bad word about them! And then you get this thread, combined with a few people moving them on... beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say. I tried yours with the ACG I believe and that was IMMENSE sounding... would it necessarily do the same with a stock Precision or Ricky? Must go and have a play soon.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1329811753' post='1547598']
I'm starting to wonder if we have different definitions of "low-mid kick" here :lol:
[/quote]

Plus 1.

In comparison to the Streamliner 900, the RH750 does NOT have the absolutely HUGE low end. When I say low end, I mean actual bass. Some Streamliner owners say the low end is juist too much, but its a unique product.

The RH450/Classic/RH750 definitely, to my ears, have that kick in the low mids region for a punchy rock tone. Even with a scooped Jazz with both pups on full, the mids still ring through. The RS cabs themselves also have a small low mid bump. Together, you get a more 'sealed 8x10' low mid kick and less of the real low frequencies, (which some like, some don't).

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1329817793' post='1547676']
Should really be stickied at the top of every thread in this forum :D
[/quote]

A thousand times yes.

Recently bought a TC RH750, chose to completely ignore the advice about the amps power ratings, and quite frankly I was right to do so. I trust my ears most of the time, and my ears tell me that my RH750 is friggin' loud. Most of the the complaining on TB came from the hobbyists who were more interested in stats than the actual performance of the amp in a live situation if I recall correctly.

A note on the low/low-mid thing. I owned an Eden WT800 and no other amp I've come across recently could top its low/low-mid abilities (they were extreme, virtually unmatchable in sheer power). To me, the low-mids seem a lot more controlled and usable in the RH750, although its still a new amp to me so only time will tell if this is true across the board at all the venues I tend to find myself playing.

Edited by risingson

[quote name='Stag' timestamp='1329834250' post='1548117']
Yep cheers mate. I wasnt having a go, just seems that there are so many differing opinions floating about on these at the minute when before I didnt hear a bad word about them! And then you get this thread, combined with a few people moving them on... beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say. I tried yours with the ACG I believe and that was IMMENSE sounding... would it necessarily do the same with a stock Precision or Ricky? Must go and have a play soon.
[/quote]

With my MIM Pbass (1/4lbs and BAII) I get almost the same sound as with my ACG. It's a bit different but not much. Also with the added cab the sound has got even more IMMENSE :) There's so many tonal capabilities that I have to remind myself not to fiddle all the time.

I've a TC Classic. It's plenty loud enough for me. It's not got the huge globs of volume that my Orange Terror has. But it's still very, very loud. I've not noticed a compression problem and even like a tiny smidge of the onboard one on. If my Terror had a half decent DI I wouldn't have bought it. But I'm very happy I did. It seems to suit my playing. Couldn't care less if it were called the TC450, TC232.5 or TC99flake. It does the job well.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1329837889' post='1548226']Most of the the complaining on TB came from the hobbyists who were more interested in stats than the actual performance of the amp in a live situation if I recall correctly.
[/quote]

I'll try not to be offended. :)

FWIW, I thought there was something 'odd' about my RH450 and sold it way before any of this came to light.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1329839275' post='1548265']
I'll try not to be offended. :)
[/quote]

I didn't really mean the stick it got on this site :) but you always get that impression from TB that its largely people that like to complain about nothing, just for something to argue about, without having much or any experience of how gear performs 'live'. A sense of self-entitlement seems to go hand in hand with these kinds of subjects over there. Not wanting to tar everyone with the same brush of course, and I know there's some players over there that really know their stuff. But for me, gear is black and white. It either performs for you in the way that you want it, or it doesn't. If it doesn't... well then don't use it I guess!

Edited by risingson

It's a head with a particular voicing, a hatful of features you won't find anywhere else, and some clever background gubbins which makes the most efficient use of the voicing. The top end roll-off and Tubetone functions should really be a pointer to the target audience, and if, like me, you're in that target audience, then it works really really well. Every amp made will have a sound which is disliked by someone, and if you like low low end rather than rock-type low mids, then it isn't for you. The sanctimonious witch-hunt on TB was just ridiculous, and as indicated above, it's fuelled by a herd of bedroom warriors who have never owned (let alone gigged) one, and who can't/won't see past "watts=volume".

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1329842164' post='1548337']
Cannot agree. A mate of mine, a very experienced bass player purchased an. R.H 450 rig last year and continues to comment on the lack of volume.
[/quote]

Despite not getting on with the RH450 dynamically, I never had a problem with a lack of volume.

If anyone has problems with volume, I'd ask them to make sure they've done a factory reset and ensure the patch volume is maxx'd.

It might not be the case for your mate, but I'm sure there will have been instances where people will have tried it in the shop etc. and written it off because the patch volume was set really quiet..

I can only conclude there's something wrong with either his rig or his ears, then - I play in a band where I use ear protection because we have a full-on rock drummer, and I've never been anywhere 11 o'clock on the volume. I've played club gigs where I didn't go through the house PA, and the sound guy didn't realise until he tried to lower my fader and remembered he hadn't connected the DI cable... :) That's where the "Where's the rest of it?" comment in my sig comes from - after the gig, he didn't believe I only had the kit I did. What cabs is your mate using?

Edit for agreement with WoTs far more coherent possibility... :D

Edited by Muzz

FWIW, the RH750 sounded VERY pokey to my ears.

I have others misgivings about class D in general but wouldn't complain about the demo I had.
Not in the market for another amp, but if I had been, the 750 would be on my list
unless a TF750-A and DB750 was on the horizon.

No..scrub that..would go for the TF or Ag..no question :lol:

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1329808690' post='1547578']
I guess that illustrates the differences in taste we all have.

I found it almost completely lacking in low-mid kick, and that's after wrestling with it for 100-or so-gigs over a year.
[/quote]

Low mid is where my hairs on the back of my neck start to stand up. The RH didn't do this. It sounded 'oily' if that makes ANY sense at all - lol

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1329842709' post='1548351']
I can only conclude there's something wrong with either his rig or his ears, then - I play in a band where I use ear protection because we have a full-on rock drummer, and I've never been anywhere 11 o'clock on the volume. I've played club gigs where I didn't go through the house PA, and the sound guy didn't realise until he tried to lower my fader and remembered he hadn't connected the DI cable... :) That's where the "Where's the rest of it?" comment in my sig comes from - after the gig, he didn't believe I only had the kit I did. What cabs is your mate using?

Edit for agreement with WoTs far more coherent possibility... :D

you will have to make another conclusion. He uses RS 210 cabs and his ears are pretty sharp judging by the quality of his playing
[/quote]