Why become a member? ×

BC meetup @ the London Bass Guitar Show, 03 and 04/03/12

Silvia Bluejay

thanks go to Martin and his backstage team for the live stage yesterday.

The friend who i was with wanted to see TM Stevens, but is disabled with spina bifida, and can only stand for short periods of time, after queueing to see Yolanda's master class yesterday, her back was starting to go on her.

With Martins help he allowed her to get in, after queueing seated closeby. She was so grateful.

Some more photos from the show,in addition to those published by you guys. Will also add a link to your album on FB.

[url="https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150644056799207.413204.528729206&type=1&l=d2b1575e92"]https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150644056799207.413204.528729206&type=1&l=d2b1575e92[/url]

[quote name='daflewis' timestamp='1330872446' post='1564116']
+1 I tried to do the same, but it was pointless! - i really felt for Alan, John and Dave on the ACG/East/EAD stand - i think it was starting to drive them nuts... it was really out of order and as they were overloading the amps it just made them sound cr@p as well! Hopefully things are better today. :unsure:

I was fortunate enough to be dealing with Innovation/Ernie Ball on the strings and things stand in the entrance hallway - a lot quieter and everyone was sticking to the 15mins live sound per hour rule.
[/quote]

As far as I was aware, we were 15 mins on and 45 mins off, it's what I stuck to and shortly after playing just went gear spotting. It was monitored haha. :)

Edited by TomKent

[quote name='Rainbass' timestamp='1330848696' post='1563623'] - GK MB112 is light enough to carry all the way from the Show to the Mulit-Story Car Park out back (had to get up early today to smuggle it into the house :-)
[/quote]I ended up brazening mine out having had a two pronged sales attack on the Overwater stand (not an expensive one I hasten to add and tonights eBay & the last couple of nights gigs cover it - just)

Chatted to a few BC'ers, missed a few more one the way (Seashell I think I may have been sat next to you at Neil Murray;'s masterclass but am a shy retiring flower) and kept almost getting a word with Dood but not quite, then Doug Wimbish rean over and it was too late.

Ah well, there's always next year

Nice to meet a few of you guys at the show. My ears have just about stopped ringing. Lots of great gear on show.

As others have said the volume was , and always is an issue at these shows. Its never likely to change I guess. The 15 minute time slots to try and demo stuff became pretty hard work when so much was going on around you, most of the time we just banged in the earplugs to ride the storm, certainly a real struggle to talk to people and a little too much non stop self indulgent twangy twiddles going on from some stands.

Great to catch up with some familiar faces and meet some new ones. Had a good chat with walman about bass guitars suprisingly, and synth keyboard pedals as we both fancy ourselves as tap dancing bass players.

Shame as an exhibitor that you dont get to see the acts, but thats life !

On the whole i had a great time with john east and alan, always a great laugh irrespective of what the shows are like.

Dave

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1330903000' post='1564727']
I ended up brazening mine out having had a two pronged sales attack on the Overwater stand (not an expensive one I hasten to add and tonights eBay & the last couple of nights gigs cover it - just)

Chatted to a few BC'ers, missed a few more one the way (Seashell I think I may have been sat next to you at Neil Murray;'s masterclass but am a shy retiring flower) and kept almost getting a word with Dood but not quite, then Doug Wimbish rean over and it was too late.

[/quote]

Awww sorry fella! Right, next time we'll be sure to have a coffee!

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1330897325' post='1564621']
I went there today and as for basschatters, I've only met Ped and a very tall man with a pony tail that was having fun with a 6 strings Dingwall ABZ
[/quote]

whoops..................................c`est moi!!

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1330874507' post='1564155']
Most random thing happened afterwards though. Just drove back to have lunch in Marlow with my BC book keeper Dave and we were spotted by a BCer who was in Pizza Express for his sisters birthday. I'm really sorry I have forgotten your username but it was great of you to come and say Hi! Give me a shout if it was you and I'll send you a present.
[/quote]

My name is Oopsy and I claim my 5 pounds...now...where is Marlow again?

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1330874507' post='1564155']
Most random thing happened afterwards though. Just drove back to have lunch in Marlow with my BC book keeper Dave and we were spotted by a BCer who was in Pizza Express for his sisters birthday. I'm really sorry I have forgotten your username but it was great of you to come and say Hi! Give me a shout if it was you and I'll send you a present.

Cheers
[/quote]

That'd be me! Great to meet you guys! Hope your pizzas were significantly less burnt than ours :lol:

Was lovely to meet so many basschat people at the weekend! I can't remember anyone's usernames here, and am sorry to anyone who caught me as I was running from one place to another. Was a silly busy weekend, and I completely missed seeing some old friends all together.

All in though, what an amazing event! I've been to a LOT of bass-day type events round the world, and it's one of the best organised with the most exciting vibe. The noise on the expo floor is ridiculous, but I'm not that sure how they'd get past that. I was really inspired by Yolanda Charles, Jon Thorne and Doug Wimbish's masterclass sessions... all three gave some serious food for thought and quotes I'll remember for a long time.

Special thanks to all of you who were so encouraging about the masterclass - really glad you enjoyed it. Was a whole lot of fun to do, and I think Dave Marks will post some video of it v. soon :) Hope those of you who bought the 'everything stevie' USB stick are enjoying the mammoth amounts of music ;)

See y'all soon :)

Steve

I got back around half 12 last night and had a cracking weekend! Met quite a few new people from here and not on here, including Molan, Tom Kent and Dood. Also got to have a play with Dood's Shuker 6 which was truly beautiful too...though one exhibitor wasn't too keen on us trying it out with an amp, so we politely moved over to the Hartke stand (possibly a mistake for me as I now want a new rig :lol: )

Best basses of the show for me was probably the MGR basses, the fretless 6 he had was to die for, followed closely by the blonde 5... then the fretless 5 with a Delano. Sod it, they were all awesome :P As for the noise levels, I wasn't too fussed by them. There was a lot of slap, but when the air horn went off things did generally quieten down. It was mainly the guys on the Taurus stand who didn't give a crap, much to the annoyance of the poor guys on the GHS stand right opposite them!

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1330804013' post='1563309']
Back home! I met Shelley (seashell) early on in the day, then spent most of the time flitting from one masterclass or gig to another. We were unable to identify most of you guys who were there, though, and hoped you would recognise us.

Rumple, you should have said hi! And seashell was with me while I was talking to Jason of Rotosound.
[/quote]

I recognised you ;)

[quote name='Eggy' timestamp='1330882833' post='1564310']
+1 on the volume issues, did not bump into any BCers as do not know anyone although I did spot a pair of DMs on a T shirt way up a queue I was in.
[/quote]

Aye, that coulda been me.. If there was a bog-brush hair cut on top, you could be able to claim your £5.

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1330903000' post='1564727']

[/quote]

Aw, you should have said something. Was that you sitting to my left (actually come to think of it it must have been, because there was a woman sitting to my right! :lol: ).

I really enjoyed it. Went both days, mainly for the masterclasses and performances. TM Stevens - what an inspiration! He was so good with the kids in the masterclass. Quote of the day (I paraphrase wildly here) ' i haven't come here to be Mr Widdly-Woo. Slapping is part of your musical vocabulary, you don't have to use it all the time'

Neil Murray - completely different character, very unasuming, almost seemed a bit shy. However came out with some really interesting stuff. (E.g his insight into the difference between playing with Cozy Powell and Ian Paice).

Really enjoyed meeting bluejay, billyapple, dood, ped and a couple of others. Also got into random conversations with a couple of people who admired my bag (it's got 'E-A-D-G, Right?' on it). And chatted to some randoms in the queues, which made the queuing more interesting!

Last but definitely not least, I queued up to meet John Paul Jones and got his photo and autograph! I know that makes me sound like a totally cheesy fan, but then again I am. I just thought I would regret it if I didn't go for it, having been a fan for about 40 years!! :o

It was great meeting you, Shell, and roaming around the show chatting to other members of this forum and, in my case, of the Warwick forum i'm also a member of. My avatar helped quite a few of you to recognise me and say hi.
Next year we must definitely find a way for all of us to recognise one other more easily and also to meet up in the evening, when we don't have to rush to masterclasses o gigs!

And... I want a bag with "B E A D G, yes - have a problem with that?" :D :lol: :P

I think once we have the BC stickers in the shop in the next few weeks people could wear one on thier forehead or something. That might work.

I'm also thinking about a BC branded lanyard with name tag holder for various BC events. Watch this space.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1331029469' post='1566408']
If there was a BC stand next year that would be an ideal place to meet up with others forum members.
[/quote]

Yeah, I'll see if I can swing it. Not sure how much it'll cost and no way of telling how much £ we'll have spare (spending a lot on some neat developments here on site). Perhaps I can blag a free table somewhere!