Why become a member? ×

Audition next week, how do I prepare?

4-string-thing

So, I have an audition for an "original rock" band next week and I was wondering what your opinions are on how I should approach and prepare for it?

My two most recent bands have been a rock covers band and a folk-rock band. The covers band was pretty easy, as I recall. Get a list of songs, learn songs via youtube and tabs, play songs, get frustrated at guit, sorry, ham-fisted meatheads inability to do same, but carry on anyway. A year later you have (just about) enough songs to start gigging.

Folky band was also easy, I knew most of the stuff anyway, and I ended up calling the shots, so I picked songs I liked and the others went off and learnt them! A year later (and a few line-up changes) you are ready to gig, simple!

This band is not so easy though. I had a chat with the drummer the other day and he wasn't very helpful. All I got out of him was that they play "rock music" he wouldn't elaborate. They have no, or are not willing to send me any, mp3's so I can't learn any of their songs. He wouldn't say who their influences are or who they remotely sound like. All I know is, they hate blues, HM and funk (just like me)

So, do I practice? Do I just turn up and hope for the best? Which bass do I take? These and a few other questions are going through my mind.

What would you do?

Thanks in advance,

Mark.

Edited by 4-string-thing

take your precision bass, and choose half-a-dozen songs that fit the 'rock music' description and learn them, so that if they look to you for suggestions you've got something you can play.

other than that there's not much you can do...

what can they expect of you if they won't tell you anything ?

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1328221759' post='1524161']

not sure i would want to be in a band that wont tell you much.

would give me bad vibes before i got my bass out.
[/quote]

Exactly, not sure what they are trying to achieve with the "secret squirrel" approach.

Take a tuba, they asked for a bass player.

Take them all boozing beforehand... worked for me :lol:

The Precision will cover all eventualities, to be honest.

In terms of preparing, it's a real shame they can't share anything - though, if it's early days, they might not have anything to share. You can still practice, mind - pick out a smattering of rock tracks and just jam out some bass lines over the top. It sounds as if that's probably what you'll be doing in the 'audition', working through any tracks they have; or, if they want a cover, you've got some in your pocket you know.

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1328221759' post='1524161']
... not sure i would want to be in a band that wont tell you much.

... would give me bad vibes before i got my bass out.
[/quote]
Agreed, if it was me, I wouldn't go to an audition on the basis of what the OP describes.

I also wouldn't rehearse for a year for a gig.

I wouldn't be too concerned that there's a lack of info - whilst we've always provided information overload for auditionees in our band, we've also usually made our decision about suitability within the first 10 mins of conversation without instruments. Skill is fairly easy to gauge once you know you can actually stand to be around somebody; maybe these guys have an evolved sense of this fact and once they know that you all get along, it'll just be a run through 'Smoke on the Water' and hired.

Take the P, and don't stress stuff they've decided ain't important.

Of course, if you subsequently decide they don't even have an evolved sense of the difference between arse and elbow, it's cost you a couple of hours and they can keep on looking :)

Must admit, an audition where they won`t give you any of the music beforehand is a tad strange.

As others have said, a Precision holds its own in most genres, so that would be a wise choice on the bass to take, however, there`s a lot to be said for taking the instrument that you play the best, and feel most comfortable on.

Other than that, I don`t really see what else can be done, aside from do some online research for the band - have they got a website/vids on youtube, that sort of thing, anywhere you can find an idea of what they do.

I've been to auditions where I've been given songs to learn, covers to learn, or just had to go in blind before!

In your situation, if you're fairly well versed in rock music, just turn up with your P Bass and play along to whatever they throw at you, you won't have an issue :) Maybe jam out a few riff/bassline ideas to let them see what sort of thing you can bring to the table. If you gel with them, it doesn't matter that you don't know the songs yet. You'll know them soon enough :)

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1328253539' post='1524346']
I've been to auditions where I've been given songs to learn, covers to learn, or just had to go in blind before!

In your situation, if you're fairly well versed in rock music, just turn up with your P Bass and play along to whatever they throw at you, you won't have an issue :) Maybe jam out a few riff/bassline ideas to let them see what sort of thing you can bring to the table. If you gel with them, it doesn't matter that you don't know the songs yet. You'll know them soon enough :)
[/quote]

+ 1. Turning up with some riffs/suggestions is definately a good idea. If its originals - they should be up for working on new stuff, then everyone's on the same footing.

Play them at their own game... when they ask who your influences are say, 'rock music'.
Or just take some acid an hour before the audition and stare at them weirdly throughout.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1328224840' post='1524227']
I also wouldn't rehearse for a year for a gig.
[/quote]

+1 What's this all about? :)
Joined a new band last year and had two weeks to learn two 45-minute sets...

Edited by discreet

I'd think a lack of info beforehand was a bit unusual - most musos I know are dying to ramble on about their band ideas, influences, plans, past history, etc, etc. Maybe it'll be different when you get there and get to chat face to face. The Precision is all you'll need, especially with that Acoustic rig.

On the rehearsal time point, our originals band are having to go out round the pub circuit to generate some cash, so we're having to put 20 or so covers in. The first gig's next Friday, so the vocalist has sent round the list of covers this week, and we're having a 3-hour rehearsal on Sunday, which should do it. To be fair he and I play most of them in his other covers band, so two of us will be good to go, anyway... :D

Some interesting replies here, thanks chaps!

I would almost certainly have taken the Precision anyway, it sounds good through almost any amp (even the rubbish they have at this particular rehearsal establishment)

They play originals, so learning a few covers seems a bit pointless, as they won't be playing them anyway. I have played rock covers before, so if they wanted to jam something, I'm sure we'd find something we all know. I don't think they have been together long, so probably have no demo recorded, hence the lack of mp3's but a few chord/lyric sheets would have been handy.

As for my previous bands taking a year to get gig-ready, I can blame line-up changes in the folk-rock band (people joining then deciding after a few weeks that it's not for them) In the rock covers band, I can mainly blame a guitarist who took a month to learn a song because he insisted on learning every solo etc note-for-note. His lack of ability to improvise a solo was incredible! One song a month = a year to learn a 45 minute set!

Well go enjoy yourself, they can't expect too much having given such a meagre brief as to what they want. They may just not know what they want themselves at this stage if it's a new project. Ideal opportunity to make that slot your own and sell yourself to them as a character and player. At least they can't start nitpicking with the 'I'm not sure it goes like that dude' bit.