Why become a member? ×

Audition next week, how do I prepare?

4-string-thing

This is just me... but I'd simply thank them and decline. There are several possibilities - they don't know what they play (bad!), they actually don't have any songs (worse!) or they are just dicking you around to see what happens (inexcusable!). My one experience of "oh, just come along you'll know some of the songs and we'll help you with the others" has mentally scarred me. It consisted of incredulity that I didn't know all manner of weird and obscure "standards" and or the singer making weird symbols with his fingers that (I later found out) denote chords in some offbeat religions.

Sorry.... I'll shut up now :)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1328311374' post='1525540']
This is just me... but I'd simply thank them and decline. There are several possibilities - they don't know what they play (bad!), they actually don't have any songs (worse!) or they are just dicking you around to see what happens (inexcusable!). My one experience of "oh, just come along you'll know some of the songs and we'll help you with the others" has mentally scarred me. It consisted of incredulity that I didn't know all manner of weird and obscure "standards" and or the singer making weird symbols with his fingers that (I later found out) denote chords in some offbeat religions.

Sorry.... I'll shut up now :)
[/quote]

I won't know any of the songs, its all originals :unsure: and I only play guitar a bit, so if it's basic chords, I'll be able to follow them, but if they go up the dusty end, I'll be lost!

At the end of the day, the rehearsal place is a 15 minute drive away and it's a couple of hours out of my life. Hardly the end of the world if it all goes pear-shaped!

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1328363220' post='1525997']

At the end of the day, the rehearsal place is a 15 minute drive away and it's a couple of hours out of my life. Hardly the end of the world if it all goes pear-shaped!
[/quote]

Exactly right. Please let us all know how it pans out! I love following these sagas.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1328365744' post='1526044']
Exactly right. Please let us all know how it pans out! I love following these sagas.
[/quote]

Well, I went along last night..... it was fairly terrible! Their songs were boring and all used the same 4 chords, they had no style as such, and I learnt 4 of their songs in about 20 minutes, hardly challenging! To cap it all, the drummer started telling me how to play, after running through the first song once! I resisted the temptation to lamp the tw*t and made my mind up that there was no way I would be joining. The search goes on!

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1328218046' post='1524054']
So, I have an audition for an "original rock" band next week and I was wondering what your opinions are on how I should approach and prepare for it?

My two most recent bands have been a rock covers band and a folk-rock band. The covers band was pretty easy, as I recall. Get a list of songs, learn songs via youtube and tabs, play songs, get frustrated at guit, sorry, ham-fisted meatheads inability to do same, but carry on anyway. A year later you have (just about) enough songs to start gigging.

Folky band was also easy, I knew most of the stuff anyway, and I ended up calling the shots, so I picked songs I liked and the others went off and learnt them! A year later (and a few line-up changes) you are ready to gig, simple!

This band is not so easy though. I had a chat with the drummer the other day and he wasn't very helpful. All I got out of him was that they play "rock music" he wouldn't elaborate. They have no, or are not willing to send me any, mp3's so I can't learn any of their songs. He wouldn't say who their influences are or who they remotely sound like. All I know is, they hate blues, HM and funk (just like me)

So, do I practice? Do I just turn up and hope for the best? Which bass do I take? These and a few other questions are going through my mind.

What would you do?

Thanks in advance,

Mark.
[/quote]

No brief is not a lot of good to anyone...
If they don't seem to want to put any effort into it, then I don't see what you can do..or why..!!

Treat it as light-hearted as they seem to be

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1328730442' post='1531895']

Well, I went along last night..... it was fairly terrible! Their songs were boring and all used the same 4 chords, they had no style as such, and I learnt 4 of their songs in about 20 minutes, hardly challenging! To cap it all, the drummer started telling me how to play, after running through the first song once! I resisted the temptation to lamp the tw*t and made my mind up that there was no way I would be joining. The search goes on!
[/quote]

Wow, I didn't know my band were auditioning replacements :lol:

Oh well, plenty more fish for you mate. It's all experience, etc.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1328735002' post='1531999']
Wow, I didn't know my band were auditioning replacements :lol:

Oh well, plenty more fish for you mate. It's all experience, etc.
[/quote]

If thats your band, I'd get out now, while you still can! :lol: To be fair, apart from the drummers faux pas, they seemed like nice enough blokes, just nowhere near as good as they think they are! I mean, I'm no Jaco, but if I can learn a song after just one run through with no prior knowledge of it, then it can't be up to much.

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1328737611' post='1532050']
If thats your band, I'd get out now, while you still can! :lol: To be fair, apart from the drummers faux pas, they seemed like nice enough blokes, just nowhere near as good as they think they are! I mean, I'm no Jaco, but if I can learn a song after just one run through with no prior knowledge of it, then it can't be up to much.
[/quote]

or perhaps you are better than you think..........

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1328743166' post='1532166']
[/quote]

Crikey, that's dangerous territory! I always start from the bottom... then I can be pleasantly surprised at how good I am. I mean, if I knew I was f***ing brilliant and beyond human mistakes, I'd be the singer, right? :lol:

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1328743166' post='1532166']
[/quote]

Hmmm... I've been accused of this before, didn't really believe it though. Then I saw a video of my old band playing a festival and found myself thinking "did I really play that? Bloody hell, I'm not bad" :blush: