Why become a member? ×

westone bass

phil moore

I had a Westone that I bought for 50 quid and the P style pickup was one of the hottest I have ever heard. But I couldn`t keep it as it was far too ugly and heavy! I should have took the pickup out of it before I punted it though.

Jez

I used to sell these back in the 80's in a shop I worked in.
Like the Arias of that period, these were made in the Matsumoku factory and we sold absolutely loads of these straight from the box, no setup needed and never found a defective one.

Real groundbreaking basses for £129 and obviously well made to still be around and lusted after 30 years later... :)

Thunder 1A was my first bass!!!

"upgraded" to a Hohner Cricket Bat which turned out to be the biggest pile of cr4p...I sold the Westone to a friend in 1990...it went round in a big circle before ending up with another friend who paid a tenner for it..I tried to get it back only to find he'd given it to the bassist in his uncle's band..

Never noticed that it was supposedly heavy...

[quote name='Kostas' timestamp='1325588797' post='1484658']
I just bought a Westone 1A Thunder and I'm waiting to arrive. I have a Jazz and I wanted to try the precision sound but also a bass with a wider nut.
Do you know the nut size of the Westone?
[/quote]
This looks like a nice one,same as my 1a, the nut on my 1a and 1 (passive with ash body) is about 42mm wide but I think you will like the neck, very quick and easy to play. The solid colour westones like yours will have a maple body which is very resonant.Hope you enjoy it.

I had 2 Westones.

Thunder 1A was my first bass - great bass to learn on, tough as they come too.

Also had a black Westone headless Steinberger copy - great great sound - just too shorter scale for me as I was used to playing a precision.

For the amount of £100 basses out there nowadays - these are a steal if you get chance to get one!

Search 'Westone' on here and I am usually one of the first to chime in with praise. Awesome value for money - the necks are as good as anything I have played. Mine were all 40mm wide at the nut, incidentally. Too heavy for my particular brand of lumbar problem, sadly, so I no longer own one. My pimped Westone Thunder Jet is lighter and does sterling service.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1325438184' post='1483146']
I have a Westone Quantum (32" headless) with the 'Magnflux' pick ups. Staggering output level - equal to my active basses, and an excellent range of tones from two pick-ups, two volumes and a shared tone control. Probably the favourite tone of all my basses.
[/quote]

I've got one, as well VERY powerful - real punch.

Just sold my Westone Rail - plug that in after you have set up the amp
for a Jazz and you had better duck for cover!! :lol:

NB.

I have some Westone Circuits and other odds and ends, so if anyone has lost
their active, I may ge able to help.

Cheers. :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1326818045' post='1502370']
Possibly worth mentioning at this point that I am looking for a Westone Pantera Deluxe X790 bass. Just in case there actually is someone out there with one going spare who just so happens to be reading this... :)
[/quote]

There's one here but it'll cost yer AND you have to get it shipped from the 'States.

Looks pretty good though, I only wish Westone had made a 5-string Thunder or even a Superheadless 5-er..*sigh*

EDIT: I should put the link in shouldn't I!

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/circa-1987-Westone-Pantera-Pro-Bass-X-750-guitar-X750-MATSUMOKU-Japan-MIJ-/380374739531?pt=Guitar&hash=item589019ea4b"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/circa-1987-Westone-Pantera-Pro-Bass-X-750-guitar-X750-MATSUMOKU-Japan-MIJ-/380374739531?pt=Guitar&hash=item589019ea4b[/url]

Edited by chaypup

Good memories... my second ever bass was a Westone Raider, Explorer stylee with a split P-bass style pickup and two-tone paintwork, though thankfully not as garish as some that were available at the time! Mine was the red/metallic charcoal version. Think I paid about £100 for it.

My second Westone was a truly superb Thunder 1A (with old style script on the headstock), sounded amazing with the full 18v active circuit in play, think I paid about £40 for it from a mate of mine. Sold it a few years later to another mate for about £50. Need to get in touch with him & see if he's still got it!

I have my 1985 Westone Thunder I-A for over a week and I'm very impressed. It is in near mint condition, completely stock and everything work as it should be. Both passive and active sounds are useful and it's easy to play. I really didn't expect this quality, I'm going to leave it stock as it is. I'm wondering if anyone has done an A-B test with a Fender Precision, it would be interesting to read your opinion.