Why become a member? ×

Gigging with Earplugs

Stroopy121

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' timestamp='1323180152' post='1460172']
I bought some of these 18 months ago and have been very happy with them. They attenuate the damaging frequencies but without losing clarity, and I can still hear the bass.

[b][url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alpine-Music-Safe-Filter-Plugs/dp/B000VO8PR0"][color=#000000][size=3][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Alpine MusicSafe Pro Earplugs[/font][/size][/color][/url][/b]
[/quote]

I've got a set of these - they're good plugs. Have been wearing plugs for nearly two years & have found them a godsend... No more ringing ears after gigs - makes me wonder why I didn't wear them before.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1323179233' post='1460151']
[size=4]Edit: Right, got it, thanks! :) [b]What an arse.[/b]
[/quote]
[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1323191767' post='1460410']
My bad. Sorry. :)
[/quote]

Eh? I meant me. :)[/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' timestamp='1323180152' post='1460172']
I bought some of these 18 months ago and have been very happy with them. They attenuate the damaging frequencies but without losing clarity, and I can still hear the bass.

[b][url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alpine-Music-Safe-Filter-Plugs/dp/B000VO8PR0"][color=#000000][size=3][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Alpine MusicSafe Pro Earplugs[/font][/size][/color][/url][/b]
[/quote]

Can I ask which filters you're using? I have a set of these, and with the silver filters in I thought I had forgotten to unmute my amp, I couldn't hear my bass at all. I use them for motorcycling or sleeping after a night shift, but I found they filtered out too much to use for playing.

A couple of years ago we had to have some in-ears made for a tour in churches where you couldn't use amps..
Together with the in-ears I had some ear-protection made for me (moulded to fit my ears) but unfortunately I never used this protection since after trying it once I missed the live-feeling and felt a bit isolated.
This morning I had an appointment with the doctor because I have been suffering from a very quiet but still disturbing high tone in my left ear (especially in the quiet of the night I get to really notice it).
Conclusion : from now on I'm going to wear my ear-protection..It's already a bit too late but better now than never since I want to keep hearing things (I'm turning 50 next year so plenty of music ahead of me).

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1323169745' post='1459956']
+1

It's all down to using the right earplugs. If you use cheap foam jobbies (such as I used to use at track days) then they protect your ears from [i][b]loudness [/b][/i]... they do absolutely nothing to help you hear things.

If you use ER20's (or, for considerably more money, ER15's or ER25's which are moulded precisely to your ears) then not only are your ears protected but you can still hear everything.
[/quote]

Massive +1

They really are worth the money and will make saving your hearing a pleasurable experience rather than an inconvenience - my biggest problem now is recording / listening to stuff on headphones... I like it loud-ish... doh! But I have the ER15s and they really are amazing...

[quote name='Deep Thought' timestamp='1323194660' post='1460454']
Can I ask which filters you're using? I have a set of these, and with the silver filters in I thought I had forgotten to unmute my amp, I couldn't hear my bass at all. I use them for motorcycling or sleeping after a night shift, but I found they filtered out too much to use for playing.
[/quote]
Just had a look - the gold ones!

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1323179390' post='1460154']
The £150 I spent on some ER15s a decade odd ago was the best money I've ever spent on anything music related.
[/quote]

Agreed. Worth noting that you're supposed to renew them every five years (completeley new plugs and filters). I've had mine for ten years too!

Got some ER20s' a while back to replace the foam type ones, which although they killed a higher level of sound, they didn't filter evenly. The ER20s' do...

Still have tinnitus mind (but that is after 30-odd years of aural abuse). It started not going away after a day or so, a few years back, even with wearing earplugs. It's a real PITA, though it is totally my own fault. :)

Anyone not using earplugs in their teens & twenties, playing in bands is risking getting permanent tinnitus by the time they're 40. And I'm afraid that is not lecturing, that's bitter experience.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1323445716' post='1463536']
Got some ER20s' a while back to replace the foam type ones, which although they killed a higher level of sound, they didn't filter evenly. The ER20s' do...

Still have tinnitus mind (but that is after 30-odd years of aural abuse). It started not going away after a day or so, a few years back, even with wearing earplugs. It's a real PITA, though it is totally my own fault. :)

Anyone not using earplugs in their teens & twenties, playing in bands is risking getting permanent tinnitus by the time they're 40. And I'm afraid that is not lecturing, that's bitter experience.
[/quote]
Or eighteen...

edit: In summary, don't risk it. Worn plugs at clubs, some pubs, rock gigs, orchestral gigs, just about anywhere there's a real drummer or a PA. Unfortunately the damage was done.

Edited by velvetkevorkian

I had some moulded blue sparkly ear plugs once, got them on a special deal from uni. They were amazing, and did a great job (although might be tempted to not have the highest filters) but I lost them. Haven't had the money to replace them since. :) If I get a job with a band I recently auditioned for though, they are willing to pay for gear so I'll be definitely putting those down at the top of my list! Might even go pink this time. :) x

our singer woke up one morning nearly deaf after being at a gig, not one of ours, he goes to loads, got into a right old panic, bought some ear plugs, anyway after a few days his hearing came back, and guess what? he still doesn't wear the earplugs he bought, who said it was drummers that were thick?
Oh btw I use ER 20's, they do the job nicely

Edited by PaulWarning

I have had a set of er15's for about 4 months now after being told my frequency range had gone by about 40%. However i just ain't adapting to them, I often find with both plugs in I can hear jack sh*t of any cymbals and end always end up taking one of the plugs out depending what side of the stage I end up on. Protector myself the most on the drummers side(noisy bastards!). Not sure if I should try mixing them up by buying one single 9db filter or a full set, or even look at the aforementioned IEM plugs just concerned that the 9db are not approved by the hearing councils as
Official protection and the IEM wouldnt really provide that much protection would it? just more of a tailored mix? Anyone any expeience on either solution etc.? Speak up I cant hear you ;-)

[quote name='tonyclaret' timestamp='1323510000' post='1463981']
... I often find with both plugs in I can hear jack sh*t of any cymbals...
[/quote]
That's the whole idea! :)
I have done orchestra shows with one plug in (I have worse damage in the ear that always faces the brass section :) ) and to be honest I didn't like it- I found getting two different sounds irritating. I would say stick with the matched pair- it's just a matter of getting used to it for the most part.

[quote name='tonyclaret' timestamp='1323510000' post='1463981']
....However i just ain't adapting to them....
[/quote]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Plugs are not ideal but they are a million percent better than the alternatives of going deaf or stopping playing. I'm not a big fan of either of those or of the noises I live with on a daily basis because I didn’t start to use plugs soon enough. [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]You’ve just got to deal with it.[/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1323531647' post='1464283']
[font=Arial]Plugs are not ideal but they are a million percent better than the alternatives of going deaf or stopping playing. I'm not a big fan of either of those or of the noises I live with on a daily basis because I didn’t start to use plugs soon enough. [/font]

[font=Arial]You’ve just got to deal with it.[/font]
[/quote]

+1 Get those plugs and use them now!! you will only miss the water when the well runs dry. I am just sorry I did not start using plugs years ago. in my experience musicians only start to use plugs when the damage is done (just like me!). So look after your hearing guys. once its damaged its damaged forever

Another vote against hearing loss. I have to wear hearing aids as a matter of course as my hearing is shot to bits and also have tinnitus. Both were taking a steep nosedive before I got moulded earplugs. Neither has deteriorated further since I started wearing them - that's good enough for me!

The problem is that they are expensive and you see nothing tangible for that expenditure - but it is not what you get, it is what you don't get, that makes them worth every single penny. Once your hearing is gone it doesn't come back - it is pretty final.

I wear Doc's ProPlugs when rehearsing and gigging. http://www.proplugs.com/musicandnoise.shtml

They really protect against loud noise. I can still hear my bass and all other instruments in the band. They do take a bit of getting used to but that's totally dealt with in 1 rehearsal.

I always wear them for function/rock band scenarios and if I'm close to a drummer at big bands, I'll stick just one in. The ear closest to the drummer obviously. This just helps to filter out the high frequencies of the cymbals so it's not so harsh on the ear.

Your ears are the most important tools as a musician. Look after them. Seriously.