Why become a member? ×

Gigging with Earplugs

Stroopy121

So. When I gig I do quite a lot of backing vocals and singing, so I like to wear earplugs because it means the vocals come through really clear and I can hear my voice a lot better.. The problem is, this cuts the bass out almost completely, so I can't hear if I'm out of key, out of time or too high/low in the mix when I'm wearing them.

I've tried wearing just one plug but it makes me feel weird and lopsided and generally gives me the worst of both worlds as I can't hear the vocals much better but the bass is still cut a lot.

Anyone else faced similar problems? More importantly anyone have any kind of remedy...?

xx

I`ve never used them, so have no personal experience, but at our last band practice, the guitarist was wearing them. We got to the solo, he played his solo, in completely the wrong key, and never noticed. We all cracked up, and then told him, and his reply was "I couldn`t hear myself, I`d best turn up".

Surely if he`d not been wearing the darn things he would have been able to hear himself!

I find for some reason that I can't hear my vocals as well when I have earplugs in. I know that doesn't make any sense as the voice should be louder in my head...but I just can't hear it. Also I never get the live buzz if I play a gig with earplugs in. I really want to invest in some of the moulded earplug, but at £150 I haven't managed it yet. They'll be one of my first purchases for 2012 I think, as I've stupidly punished my ears enough over the years.

I've been using ER20s for a few months now and agree that wearing ear plugs really helps with singing live. Personally I haven't had any problems with hearing my bass - since the plugs attenuate more or less evenly across the frequency range I would have thought that if your onstage monitoring was set up so you can hear what you need to hear without the plugs, then it should be fine when they're in as well. Can't think of any solution other than turning up your monitoring!

+1

It's all down to using the right earplugs. If you use cheap foam jobbies (such as I used to use at track days) then they protect your ears from [i][b]loudness [/b][/i]... they do absolutely nothing to help you hear things.

If you use ER20's (or, for considerably more money, ER15's or ER25's which are moulded precisely to your ears) then not only are your ears protected but you can still hear everything.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1323167657' post='1459920']
"I couldn`t hear myself, I`d best turn up".

Surely if he`d not been wearing the darn things he would have been able to hear himself!
[/quote]

I play with a drummer who uses plugs - fair enough, he's looking after his health - problem is, it means he batters seven shades of sh*t out of his unfortunate kit.

[i][quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1323169745' post='1459956']
+1

It's all down to using the right earplugs. If you use cheap foam jobbies (such as I used to use at track days) then they protect your ears from [i][b]loudness [/b][/i]... they do absolutely nothing to help you hear things.

If you use ER20's (or, for considerably more money, ER15's or ER25's which are moulded precisely to your ears) then not only are your ears protected but you can still hear everything.
[/quote][/i]

Quite. I plan on having some shade of hearing when I'm 30 so I use plugs all the time. Both our guitarists refuse to use plugs, and both are pretty much deaf in their upper ranges at least. They too say they miss the "feel" of not having plugs in, but having worn plugs for the last year or so and gotten used to it (that happened very quickly) there's no way I'd go back to not using plugs.

Added bonus, it's nice to wake up the morning after a gig and not think the fire alarm is going off...

It also depends a bit on your monitoring setup. There's plenty of stuff on the market that will take an output straight from the desk and connect to the headsets via RF transmitters (assuming you have enough monitoring channels that is). I produced a young band a few years ago that did it that way, and they all swore by it - they could hear their own preferred individual mixes, and I didn't get constantly bugged about FOH levels. That, in turn, depends on having everyone connected to the P.A. - IMHO a must for all gigs (worth it even if you never need it out front as you still have the monitoring facility).

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1323169745' post='1459956']
+1

[/quote]

+1

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1323169745' post='1459956']
+1

[/quote]

+ another!

I had some ER15's moulded a few years ago. Blinkingly expensive at the time but it's been a life- (or should I say hearing-) saver.

As already said, cheap earplugs are pretty agricultural and false economy. They'll stop your hearing getting damaged but at the sacrifice of the quality of sound you do hear when you wear them. Not ideal if you're depending on hearing the full sonic picture to successfully make your music.

I'm no expert so I don't mind being corrected but better designed plugs like the ER15's attenuate across the frequency range which mean you're still in theory hearing the whole sonic picture, only not as loud. In the ER15's case, it's about -15db. Surprise, surprise eh? :)

I love mine because they not only protect my hearing but REALLY help me sing because I can physically/mechanically hear myself, without having to rely wholly on monitoring. The old "stick your fingers in your ear whilst you sing" thing.

It does take some adjusting to playing with them in but you soon get used to it. I tend to do the sound check with them out/half in to make sure everything sounds ok but they're in the moment I'm happy with my tone and volume.

T

Edited by tonyf

[quote name='huwgarms' timestamp='1323168522' post='1459939']
There is a wireless system where u can get the output from your bass and input from the pa for vocals i.e monitor output, was about £170 if i recall sounds like exactly what you are looking for
[/quote]

Wireless IEM System, many on offer ranging from about 200 quid to well over a grand, but you also need good earbuds which can be costly.

I used to use Hearos Rock n Roll series earplugs, but now i use some mould your own customs which are a hell of a lot better. I don't sing, unless you count shouting a few things into a mic, so i don't really know how they are with vocals.

Liam

I've wondered about IEMs as, although we're not particularly loud, I think they would greatly help with monitoring, particularly for the singers. One thing that has always concerned me though is the volume levels through the IEMs themselves. it's one thing to have a ham-fisted desk jockey give you a burst of stage monitor feedback but I think I'd be a nervous wreck if they could do the same thing with my IEMs.

I'm sure this danger must be addressed in practice but I don't know how. Can anyone who uses such a system explain how it is all handled? I'm thinking of systems driven from the desk rather than locally controlled by the band members.

I bought some of these 18 months ago and have been very happy with them. They attenuate the damaging frequencies but without losing clarity, and I can still hear the bass.

[b][url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alpine-Music-Safe-Filter-Plugs/dp/B000VO8PR0"][color=#000000][size=3][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Alpine MusicSafe Pro Earplugs[/font][/size][/color][/url][/b]