Why become a member? ×

Fender 'Jazz' Bass

Bilbo

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='165532' date='Mar 28 2008, 08:17 PM']Funny or not this was indeed the logic used, and it was actually how Leo Fender & friends thought of their first elite lines till about '65 when Fender became CBS property.

The Precision bass was a the first wide production solidbody fretted bass, and unlike doghouse basses - they allowed the player to play with 'precision'.

The solidbody electric guitar for radio & later TV - the Broadcaster and the Telecaster.

The jazz bass and the jazz master were intended for the solidbody electric guitar and bass break into jazz market.

The solidbody guitar to make music to the heavens - i.e. the Stratosphere & space aliens - the Stratocaster

The lesser line were named after animals, mustangs, jaguars, broncos...

The Fender Coronado broke this chain of logic.[/quote]

I thought the name Broadcaster was changed to Telecaster as Gretsch had copyright on the name Broadkaster for their range of drums, and weren't happy about Fender's use of the same name, albeit spelled differently (read properly), and not because it was intended for the TV, as it's essentially the same guitar. The Gibson colour 'TV yellow' however was named as it was intended to show up better on the TV and make it stand out more. It's the colout they use on LP Juniors.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='165283' date='Mar 28 2008, 02:35 PM']Lakland... Basses played exclusively by the inhabitants of Lak-Land. (A bit like LapLand but with far fewer toys at Christmas!)[/quote]

and much less interesting national dancing

:)

Does this mean that to play a Squier* you have to be in service of a Knight (or Nobleman) ?

And to play a Sterling do you have to work at the Bank of England or the Royal Mint?

*I know, but I think I can just shoehorn it in due to it's phonetic meaning

Edited by Buzz

Steinbergers only to be played at McDonalds during Oktoberfest?

SX basses only to be played in white stilettoes?

Ashdown's popularity up since the smoking ban?

Stingray's only to be used while following proper precautions and yelling "Crikey!"

ESP's only to be played if you can feel their presence?

Encore's only suitable for repeat performances?

Buzzard basses exclusively for people called Leighton.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='165186' date='Mar 28 2008, 01:39 PM']I would also insist that 'Precision' basses should be played with precision and that all Double Basses should be played twice. :)[/quote]

My Double bass is a 3/4 so I shall only play it 1.5 times, any requests for me to play it twice should be forwarded in writing to my manager as new clauses will apply.
My Jazz is redundant for Jazz as I Jazz on my 1.5 Bass although as a Jazz player at least in part or parts, 1.5 specifically, Jazz can be heard in approximately 3/4 or 75% of the noises I make of a non-Jazz nature but that notwithstanding, still, at least in part, specifically 50% (from now known as 'the proportion') divided as it is between my duties as a 1.5 bass player and an electric player on either Jazz or Alembic which I am now considering employing to create a large volume of whisky rendering only 50% of its duties to bass playing by 'the proportion' 75% of which by aforementioned tendency will be at least Jazz(y).
Put another way, nobody is getting their hands on my Jazz missus. or my 3/4 x2 (1.5)

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='166738' date='Mar 31 2008, 09:38 AM']awesome.

I am the musicman, I come from far away and I play, (what can you play) I play the stringray, wump pa wump pa up pa pa, wump pa pa, wump pa pa.

Either that or im virgil from thunderbirds who also plays Mexican Jazz music???[/quote]

That's not Virgil - it's John!!!
And if you read closely here it's easy to see why the filthy little plastic pervert looks forward to Alan's visits up to Tbird 5 so much!
[url="http://www.fab1.co.nz/characters/john%20tracy.htm"]http://www.fab1.co.nz/characters/john%20tracy.htm[/url]
Wonder if it floats??........

Anyway..

Does all this mean I can put my Explorer bass deep in the heart of the Amazonian rain forest where it'll be made into the squatting bar of some crude,native latrine??

Which is , or course , all the f*****g thing's fit for!

Edited by Dr.Dave

[quote name='jakesbass' post='194450' date='May 8 2008, 09:25 AM']My Double bass is a 3/4 so I shall only play it 1.5 times, any requests for me to play it twice should be forwarded in writing to my manager as new clauses will apply.[/quote]
I think you'll find that means you're only allowed to play waltzes on it.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='165186' date='Mar 28 2008, 01:39 PM']I am about to start a campaign that seeks to ensure that Fender 'Jazz' Basses, of all hues, are only ever used to play 'Jazz' and that any use of said basses for idioms other than Jazz should result in the removal of that instrument from the perpetrator and it sale, at a reduced rate, to responsible jazz musicians in order to gain funds for the Musicians Benevolent Fund.

I would also insist that 'Precision' basses should be played with precision and that all Double Basses should be played twice. :)[/quote]

So when you get really good at playing jazz on a Jazz bass you can progress to a Jazzmaster bass?

I'll have to learn Indonesian Jazz on my Squier VM 70s!

I'll also have to move to Coventry to play standards on my Warwick Streamer Std, damn. At least I don't have a Dolphin as I'd have to learn how to swim while playing, somehow avoiding electrocution, and catch fish in my mouth while making clicking sounds.

Does that now mean a Vintage Icon bass is now worth more than the Fender it copies? And why does no-one manufacture a model called "Dubious Sounding Heavy Metal" bass, and until they do, do I have to stop playing?

Edited by leonshelley01