Why become a member? ×

Household name bassist...in the jungle?!

steverickwood

My apols if this has already been discussed. I don't watch a lot of tv but someone said the new 'Jungle King' (?!) is a bassist called Dougie Poynter. You don't get many household name bassists/tabloid exposed bassists (maybe Mark King in the 80s and Sting and McCartney obviously).

So, who is he? IS he any good? Is he flying the flag for the bass community? Is he a closet expert bassist?

I want to know:)

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1323006241' post='1458150']
Not really a bassist then...
[/quote]

Not if you define a bassist as someone who sits around their bedroom all day going widdlydiddlydo at 1 000 000 bpm on their fingers. However, he's made more money than most people on this forum by playing a bass. IMO I think that pretty well qualifies him to put "bassist" under "occupation" on his census form...

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1323006523' post='1458154']
Not if you define a bassist as someone who sits around their bedroom all day going widdlydiddlydo at 1000000 bpm on their fingers. However, he's made more money than most people on this forum by playing a bass. IMO I think that pretty well qualifies him to put "bassist" on his census form...
[/quote]

:) :) :)

Not if you define a bassist as someone who sits around their bedroom all day going widdlydiddlydo at 1 000 000 bpm on their fingers. However, he's made more money than most people on this forum by playing a bass. IMO I think that pretty well qualifies him to put "bassist" under "occupation" on his census form...
[/quote]

Well said. Definitely a professional bass player. Think McFly are going to be touring soon as well.

PS - I know that final detail because our guitarist asked if we could enter a competition to support them on one of their gigs. As we're an alt-rock band with no desire to play to children, we politely declined.

I hated them with a passion for years. Probably because they're my age and I'm jealous. Music aint my cup of tea, certainly used to be teenage girl pop stuff. They come across as nice guys when they appear on TV though.

They're my fiancée's favourite band. According to the calendar in my kitchen, Dougie plays a sparkly Sterling.

I have full respect for Dougie, and to be honest, after seeing some clips of them playing live, McFly are totally 'on it' when the play live. Much heavier, faster, and aggressive than the teen-pop singles.

I really enjoyed this years Celebrity Jungle, whereas normally I wouldn't bother watching it. Watched every single moment, and I think Dougie came across as a thoroughly down to earth and nice lad. You can tell he didn't go in there to boost fame; he didn't need to!

I will admit to watching bits of I'm A Celebrity & Strictly and the guys from McFly have done well on both. I'm pleased Dougie won, not cos he's a bassist but as he came across really well. Mark Wright, the runner up, also came across well, although I will never watch TOWIE!

A few years ago, I took my young daughter to see Busted at the NEC. McFly were the support band. He looked about 15, but I was really impressed both with him and the rest of em. Good little RocknRoll band, was nice to see kids playing good R&B stuff like that.

Yeah, he can play, he was good even back then then..

I dont mind admitting that I saw them live, uncool or not. I cant see how anybody who admits to watching reality 'celebrity' TV crap like Up The Jungle or whatever is fit to judge me :) :) .

Edited by Slipperydick

[/quote]
I've never watched celebrity jungle dancing or heard of whatever his name is but this is spot on.

Dougie Poynter of McFly. I haven't watched I'm A Celeb (It is crap) but i am a fan of McFly. He's a decent player, he does what he needs to, and i want his basses. Metalflake Musicman Sterling 4's with Matching fret LED's... Yes please....

Liam

Not to mention the frontman (Danny) is a Local lad from Bolton, which makes them a little bit better in my eyes.

Edited by LiamPodmore

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1323011736' post='1458244']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX8K2Y6hiPE[/media]

Tune!!!!
[/quote]

Yeah that is a great tune but sadly very little to do with McFly. It was written by Daniel P Carter who does Radio 1's rock show and his writing team which is basically the song writing members of the band 'A'. So the story goes he was asked to write a song that sounded like the band Jellyfish and came up with star girl. McFly also covered a Jellyfish tune called babys coming back. Daniel P and Jason Perry from 'A' pretty much wrote all of that McFly album and recorded and produced a couple of their albums I think.

They are a brilliant writing and production team and have done some brilliant albums with various bands, coincidentally they also wrote and produced another 'King of the jungle's album, Matt Willis from Busted. The whole album basically sounds like a watered down 'A' album with some massive nods to bands like Jellyfish and Def Leppard.

Sorry for the lecture, I only mention because I love spreding the word about 'A' I think they are vastly underrated and I also like McFly and Jellyfish, and Matt Willis album sadly!

[/quote]

Well put.
Dunno why really, but watching McFly when they used to be on Saturday morning TV ( seemed like every week) always reminded me of the Monkees.

A nit off thread really I spose', but didnt the Monkees stuff have some great Bass Lines ? I wonder if they were all played by Carol Kaye, or did Nesmith play any of them at all.

Either way, he made a good few bob.

[quote name='Slipperydick' timestamp='1323034166' post='1458576']
Well put.
Dunno why really, but watching McFly when they used to be on Saturday morning TV ( seemed like every week) always reminded me of the Monkees.

A nit off thread really I spose', but didnt the Monkees stuff have some great Bass Lines ? I wonder if they were all played by Carol Kaye, or did Nesmith play any of them at all.

Either way, he made a good few bob.
[/quote]
Joe Osborne, I think, but if not then probably Carol Kaye.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1323027451' post='1458459']
Yeah that is a great tune but sadly very little to do with McFly. It was written by Daniel P Carter who does Radio 1's rock show and his writing team which is basically the song writing members of the band 'A'. So the story goes he was asked to write a song that sounded like the band Jellyfish and came up with star girl. McFly also covered a Jellyfish tune called babys coming back. Daniel P and Jason Perry from 'A' pretty much wrote all of that McFly album and recorded and produced a couple of their albums I think.

They are a brilliant writing and production team and have done some brilliant albums with various bands, coincidentally they also wrote and produced another 'King of the jungle's album, Matt Willis from Busted. The whole album basically sounds like a watered down 'A' album with some massive nods to bands like Jellyfish and Def Leppard.

Sorry for the lecture, I only mention because I love spreding the word about 'A' I think they are vastly underrated and I also like McFly and Jellyfish, and Matt Willis album sadly!
[/quote]

I did know that but it was buried in the back of my head, 'A' were a great band, 'How Ace Are Buildings' is one of my fave albums, saw them many times in the late 90's.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1323008341' post='1458190']
I have full respect for Dougie, and to be honest, after seeing some clips of them playing live, McFly are totally 'on it' when the play live. Much heavier, faster, and aggressive than the teen-pop singles.

[/quote]

I've heard clips of them live too and they surprised me a bit.
They can and do actually play live which is more than can be said for some other famous acts.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1323031101' post='1458521']
What makes you say that then?
[/quote]

I'm afraid I've just been guilty of assuming that they would be superficial and crap and not 'proper' musicians due to my perception that they were manufactured. <hangs head in shame after making an assumption without trying to give the guy a chance by listening to him>