Why become a member? ×

How easy is it to play in two bands?

Benplaysbass

Just after opinions on how to cope with two bands and keeping both sides happy. The number one band is a gigging band with dates in the diary, love the guys to bits and its real good fun playing with them. Although the music is good I am after something with a bit more life in it. So along comes another band just getting together with a live drummer playing my kind of music.
I would imagine I try to fit the new band around the main one. Trouble is I just love playing live and can't say no, and as there is a shortage of bass players round here is a good thing for me.

What I did was declare the first band as having first dibs on me, and if they didn't have anything booked (rehearsals / gigs) then I would agree to do them for the other band.

At first it caused problems because the first band always arranged stuff quite last minute, but eventually they started planning ahead a bit more.

So long as both bands know how you're prioritising it and agree to it, then it's not a problem.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1322486664' post='1451318']
So long as both bands know how you're prioritising it and agree to it, then it's not a problem.
[/quote]

+1. The only other thing to consider is have you got enough time to give the secondary band your best shot.

Just be straight with both bands, and keep lines of communication open.

If you end up in two bands, each of whom averages - say - one gig a month, then it doesn't take too much date-juggling to avoid conflicts.

If you end up in five bands, all of them actively gigging, then contact chris_b and ask him how the hell he manages.

You need to good with a diary and one band will inists they are 1st priority.
If both bands know where they stand and are happy to share...with the potential screw-ups that might bring, then it can work out.

I always say that anyone any good will be in demand so it is unreasonable to expect one guy to be exclusive, but you need to keep on top of this
as you'll likely get a few upsets along the way

This is different than a total dep situation where every plays that game, it is where there is only one or two guys in an established unit where the problems may come...and despite
trying to understand and being forewarn... you'll hit a few double booking type situations and that will upset someone...

Of course, it depends how busy you think both will be...

[quote name='johnny_frog' timestamp='1322487044' post='1451326']
Of the 3 bands i'm in, 2 of them have members who are also in other bands, do session work, dep, whatever, so I haven't hit any pressure to be monogamous.

I run on a first come first served basis gig wise, no particular priority of one band over another, so far so good.
[/quote]

Yes

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1322487154' post='1451329']
Just be straight with both bands, and keep lines of communication open.

If you end up in two bands, each of whom averages - say - one gig a month, then it doesn't take too much date-juggling to avoid conflicts.

If you end up in five bands, all of them actively gigging, then contact chris_b and ask him how the hell he manages.
[/quote]

Yes

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1322488130' post='1451358']
I was in 9 at one time. First come first served, as it were. Noone complained.
[/quote]

Yes

I think the big is issue is [b]what you want out of it[/b] and[b] what you can give[/b].. I work freelance and have an originals band and the originals band knows I take paid work first in general.. however, I will not not screw them up last minute either, there is respect for both of our time.. You need to be $hit hot on your diary ( I use google and sync to my Phone), and usually both bands soon realises that it will work if people book things early and value each others time.. You'd only have a problem if both bands want to rehearse 4 days a week :)

I was in an original band years back and the singer hated that I did freelance work as he felt I wasn't 'committed'.. but when we started writing and recording in the studio he soon realised that all the other gigs/sessions I did made me the on of the strongest members in the band, which helped everyone.

Bottomline, is if you play more you can only get better... give it a go and see what happens

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial][color=#222222][font=Arial][color=#222222][font=Arial][color=#222222][font=Arial]I’m in several bands. There are occasional bands and they are at the end of any queue for my time.[/font][/color]

[color=#222222][font=Arial]There are a couple of working bands and there is a pecking order. The band that works the most is the cover band which I can easily dep given enough notice.[/font][/color]

[color=#222222][font=Arial]Everyone must know and accept that you might not be able to do every gig that they get. It helps if all the bands are organised and are booking several months in advance. I bought my 2012 diary in August. [/font][/color][color=black][font=Arial]There are no prima donnas in my bands, which helps a lot. [/font][/color]

[color=#222222][font=Arial]Gigs always come before rehearsals.[/font][/color]

[color=#222222][font=Arial]First in diary gets it, unless a better paying gig comes in later. [/font][/color]

[color=#222222][font=Arial]You should be able to dep out up to a couple of weeks before. I won’t move a gig within 2 weeks but be very nice to everyone because emergencies sometimes happen.[/font][/color]

[color=black][font=Arial]Always be positive, happy and very sorry when you can’t do a gig. Know the numbers inside out and always sound better than the deps![/font][/color][/font][/color]

[/font][/color][/font][/color][/size]

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1322490537' post='1451405']
[font=Arial]I’m in several bands. There are occasional bands and they are at the end of any queue for my time.

There are a couple of working bands and there is a pecking order. The band that works the most is the cover band which I can easily dep given enough notice.

Everyone must know and accept that you might not be able to do every gig that they get. It helps if all the bands are organised and are booking several months in advance. I bought my 2012 diary in August. [color=black]There are no prima donnas in my bands, which helps a lot. [/color]

Gigs always come before rehearsals.

First in diary gets it, unless a better paying gig comes in later.

You should be able to dep out up to a couple of weeks before. I won’t move a gig within 2 weeks but be very nice to everyone because emergencies sometimes happen.

[color=black]Always be positive, happy and very sorry when you can’t do a gig. Know the numbers inside out and always sound better than the deps![/color]

[/font]
[/quote]

+1000000

do this and you'll be fine

I am in 2 bands and, as been said, transparency is the key. There are benefits - drummer from band one decided to leave, drummer from band two stepped in - result! The rhythm section is now shared between both bands - we kind of fit around each other quite well now!

I play with two bands but we only do about 10 gigs each per year and there haven't been any clashes yet so it's no big deal.

Obviously it must get more difficult to schedule things with more bands and more gigs but, ultimately, it's no more difficult than juggling all our other commitments such as family occasions, holidays etc. Just keep a diary and deal with things on a first-come-first-served basis. if a clash can be worked around then fine but if it can't then the first commitment takes priority - just like all the other demands on our time really. Anything else and you're breaking commitments somewhere and will become known for being unreliable.

I`m in 2 bands. One is an originals band, with 2 bassists, so not really a problem if I`m not available. There are 8 members in this band, and 6 of us play in other bands.

My other band is a covers band, of which there are 4 of us, 2 of whom are in other bands.

The way I work it is whoever calls first gets my time. This is the way we all work it. Luckily, everyone in all the relevant bands is very relaxed about it. I think all in all, there are about 7 or 8 bands interlinked.

[quote name='Soliloquy' timestamp='1322501946' post='1451669']
....One thing I'd never do is take another gig because it was paying more money though....
[/quote]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]It's a fact of life if you don't have a day job. [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]And as long as the bands know and understand then it should be cool. As I said before, give plenty of notice and if a dep can't be found then you honour the gig. [/font][/color][/size]

A agree with chris b

If a gig is more money and your playing keeps a roof over your head, you do the gig that pays the most. However, you don't leave the band high and dry and you provide a suitable dep, or come to an arrangement. I would never bail on a gig, but at the same time, I might change my plans if I got paid more. I do the same as I would allow to be done to myself

[quote name='Soliloquy' timestamp='1322501946' post='1451669']
One thing I'd never do is take another gig because it was paying more money though.
[/quote]

Have to agree here. If I've made a commitment, I follow it through. Even if it's a charity freebee. Currently in 4 bands (got out of Nos 5 & 6 recently)

It works okay, have a Google diary that is shared between the bands. All the gigs go on it so at any point, anyone can see if a dep is needed and gets it sorted.

Main band does about 20 a year, the others tot up about another 20 between them. Only went pear shaped once and ended up doing four in two days, but lucky as it was afternoon / evening on both days.

it all depends how busy you are and how busy you want or have to be.
and how understanding people you are involved with when you have to bump a gig...? which you will probably have to do once or twice, either because the money is too good or the gig itself is too good.

I have a main band which is the most organised, the dep gigs are fillers after that fact but even then a last minute gig to the main band might cause a problem because I am out for a dep gig..
People say they are cool .....but you will probably have a few trying times along the way, for sure, to test that out.