Why become a member? ×

Ear plugs: 17 or 24db Filters??

Count Bassy

NOTE: Just checked and the choice is actually 17 or 24dB. Apart form that the question remains the same

I've bought some pro-guard moulded ear plugs. Impressions all done and ready to send off, so the question is Green (17dB) or Red (22dB) filters.

My son (a drummer) has the 22dB ones and says that you can still hear everything fine, and still hold conversations, so why wouldn't you go for those.

Spoke the the bloke at Proguard who said that the 17dB ones are generally enough.

Being a bass player I do spend quite a bit of time stood next to the drums, and the drummer in one of my current bands is particularly loud.

So which would the collective wisdom of Bass Chat recommend?

Thanks in advance,

The Count.

Edited by Count Bassy

I use 15dB ones in my Elacin plus, but have been considering getting a set of 25dB filters as I'm rehearsing and playing a lot more with my new band, even though they are generally a bit quieter than the old outfit. I've consistently said that my custom moulded plus are the single best piece of musical equipment I've ever purchased.

I started off with 25db at first but found that they were too effective and I struggled to hear anything much. I now have 15db filters and they are just perfect - loud drummer in heavy rock covers band etc - I can still hear all the instruments. No more ringing in the ears after rehearsals, gigs or seeing other bands!

But this is with the caveat that my hearing is pretty well shagged anyway - I wear hearing aids to hear normal level conversations!

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1322243491' post='1448606']
NOTE: Just checked and the choice is actually 17 or 24dB (rather than 22dB). Apart form that the question remains the same
[/quote]

I think for bass, less is better in terms of balance - since all the low stuff isn't really altered by the plugs it can get a bit boomy. I have the ER15s and it's plenty. 15dB is still less a very big attenuation in terms of power, about 30-fold! My mind always boggles at the thought of bands where 15dB isn't enough to protect the hearing, they must be just insanely loud.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1322242893' post='1448601']
If you get the 22db and don't like them I have a brand new (in packet) set of 15s for sale (Etymotic Research ones)! :)
[/quote]

Have you got an ER15s cloning lab going or something? I bought a spare set from you last year! :)

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1322246499' post='1448655']
Have you got an ER15s cloning lab going or something? I bought a spare set from you last year! :)
[/quote]

Specsavers apologised for messing up my moulds by giving me spare sets! :)

As to needing more than 15db of reduction; obviously it is personal preference but if I were to use any more than 15db attenuation I think I'd be too isolated from the onstage mix. As for requiring more than 15db to prevent hearing damage; I'm not sure of the science/maths behind it but I'm confident that if you were playing so loud that 15db reduction wasn't sufficient then you'd be playing so loud that the difference between 15db and 24db wouldn't save your hearing... actually thinking of the maths side of it, I'm not sure that any cab/amp combination could go loud enough to damage your hearing whilst wearing 15db of attenuation. :)

[quote name='paulconnolly' timestamp='1322247645' post='1448669']
Can I ask:

How much do these cost?
When you say moulded are they a "one size fits all" or specifically moulded to your ear shape like a hearing aid mould?
If specifically moulded who does it and where do you go to get it done?
[/quote]

Specially moulded to your ear and many places do it (look in the yellow pages) but Specsavers on the local High St is as good as anywhere.

Sorry, should have mentioned but my wife is an audiologist and I was just curious to know where, how you got them and how much they cost. Discussions about hearing loss/protection etc.. always interest her from a professional point of view. She may be biased but she says try your local NHS Trust Audiology department. Not as widespread as Specsavers but they may be cheaper and the technical quality of the mould is likely to be better.

[quote name='paulconnolly' timestamp='1322247645' post='1448669']
Can I ask:

How much do these cost?
When you say moulded are they a "one size fits all" or specifically moulded to your ear shape like a hearing aid mould?
If specifically moulded who does it and where do you go to get it done?
[/quote]

These were £120, and are the ones custom moulded to your ear. Bought the plugs off the net, you register them on line and they direct you to a local audiologist to get the impressions made. In my case the audiologist was a Scrivens (the opticians) in Rugby. Impressions etc. are all included in the original purchase price.

Edited by Count Bassy

I had the 24db (for a medium-loud covers band) then changed them to 17s in the same moulds.

I found the 24db was too much. The music wasn't the problem, I could hear that clear enough. What I didn't like was the sense of isolation, from both band and audience.

There is a feedback energy you get when an audience is enjoying what you do, which at its best makes you raise your game while playing. I felt the 24db filters screened this out and made the gigs less enjoyable - more like a job of work. I ended up playing in a very static position, spending more time looking at the fretboard than otherwise, lost in my own little world.

I changed the filters to a 17db and the whole thing is much more enjoyable. I still get protection but I feel I'm in a gig once more, interacting with the band and audience.

Dunno what it would be like in massively loud band though...

Cheers

Graham

[quote name='paulconnolly' timestamp='1322255060' post='1448775']
Sorry, should have mentioned but my wife is an audiologist and I was just curious to know where, how you got them and how much they cost. Discussions about hearing loss/protection etc.. always interest her from a professional point of view. She may be biased but she says try your local NHS Trust Audiology department. Not as widespread as Specsavers but they may be cheaper and the technical quality of the mould is likely to be better.
[/quote]

:) Local NHS audiology dept's taking custom moulds and selling them cheaper than Specsavers et al... 'technical' quality of the mould! :)

I had 24's in mine and like most have said you do not get the performance edge being so isolated (Sound wise) so I swapped to 17's and can feel the music more now,I still take a plug out for the odd song just to hear it at full blast but I just prefer the lower volume with both plugs in.