Why become a member? ×

Ear plugs: 17 or 24db Filters??

Count Bassy

[quote name='paulconnolly' timestamp='1322297328' post='1448954']
I beg to differ but there you go :)
[/quote]

Of course you can have a differing opinion and I'd that's the point of forums (especially this one), you can air your views and explain why you think something. :)

So why should NHS moulds be better than Boots, Specsavers or any other audiologist fitting? I have had moulded plugs fitted and the moulding process couldn't be simpler and anyone with care and competence can take the mould. I concur you could get someone in a non-NHS situation who doesn't take care and may not be competent BUT it could be argued that an NHS employee could be equally incompetent; both parties need to be trained and at the end of the day if you are paying for the service (from either party) then you can demand that it is done again/effectively! No disrespect to your wife but NHS does not guarantee qualitythat would be greater then anywhere else though it could just as easily be the equal of. You pays your money... :)

Thanks for all your input.

Having considered it all I've gone for the 17s based on the fact that they should prevent further damage but not isolate me too much (especially given that my hearing is already down in one ear- due to an old infection not noise damage). They should be here in about 10 days and I'll report back how I get on with them.

The Count

I was talking to the audiologist at at Northampton General Hospital a couple of weeks ago. He told me that the plug they provide are the same ER one, they just don't make a profit on them. He quoted £20 per ear.

He also said that I should have 30db filters in them. This was based on an average band playing at 110db so 30db of cut brings it down to 80db which he said was the recommended level from the HSE.

Lots of good information here [url="http://www.hse.gov.uk/noise/"]http://www.hse.gov.uk/noise/[/url]

[quote name='keving' timestamp='1322482850' post='1451233']
I was talking to the audiologist at at Northampton General Hospital a couple of weeks ago. He told me that the plug they provide are the same ER one, they just don't make a profit on them. He quoted £20 per ear.

He also said that I should have 30db filters in them. This was based on an average band playing at 110db so 30db of cut brings it down to 80db which he said was the recommended level from the HSE.

Lots of good information here [url="http://www.hse.gov.uk/noise/"]http://www.hse.gov.uk/noise/[/url]
[/quote]

This sounded fabulous and something that I'd love my band to get sorted (I have moulded plugs, they don't) so I've just spoken to the local hospital(s) and I've been categorically told that they will not/can not do custom moulds with the exception of referrals through GPs and those would be done on the NHS for a specific complaint or condition pertaining to a health risk and not just because you play in a loud band. I enquired about the fact that I'd read that you could get plugs for £20 and one hospital can and do supply ear plugs but they are the Etymotic 'Christmas Tree' plugs that you can buy on ebay for less than a tenner. I'm not trying to urinate on anyone's fire but if this were available at £20 then I'd be shouting from the rooftops. :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1322503972' post='1451741']
30db? You'd be standing there in silence!!
[/quote]

I've got to agree! I'm no scientist/mathematician but I'm fairly certain that fitting plugs that attenuated the sound by 30db would be like putting your head in a crash helmet... wrapped in cotton wool... in a box surrounded by bubble-wrap! :)

I can honestly say that I gig in a loud band and the 15db cut means that I have no adverse affects and yet I can hear the band OK, when I tried the 22db plugs I felt that it was a little too much reduction for me personally but to cut by 30db I seriously doubt that I could hear what anyone else in the band (inc me) would be doing.

It's a bit like to sound twice as loud, you only need an increase of single figure db's. Added to which an average band don't play at a consistent 110db, even the H&SE website quotes bands/musicians as playing at 100db. The other consideration is that you have to take into account that certain frequencies are more damaging (hence those standing to one side of the kit, year in year out tend to be affected in one ear by the cymbals more than the general on stage volume) and fitting plugs brings those frequencies down to manageable/acceptable levels. I'm off to do some research on the logarithmic affect on perceived volume with attenuation of varying degrees.

I use ER20's - the quoted spec is a -16db drop. I've used them for a number of years now, and started to use them after low level tinitus started to remain after gigs. Hopefully I've caught it early enough to prevent further deterioration/damage. They are OK for my ears, although the sound for me is very bass heavy, nothing like hearing the band during a sound check. But, even sound checks set my ears off, so I will never not use the plugs. The band is loud - at rehearsals, playing at gig levels, or less, we see around 110, spiking to 115-120, (we are just a 3-piece). I was concerned that the ER20s wouldn't be enough, but after playing 2-3hrs, my ears are fine - no whining or whistling. Just need to ensure they are comfortable and that they are sealed well.