Why become a member? ×

Is Talent Inherited?

Pete Academy

I recently posted a thread about talent...is it inherited?

Earlier this evening I visited a couple (my ex-wife and her hubby) who are both talented musicians (sax and piano). Their 8-year-old daughter was eager to perform her skills for me on clarinet and piano. She played faultlessly. I asked her parents how long she had been playing. Apparently since September. I thought she might have put in around an hour a night to reach her standard of playing. No...5 to 10 mins a night.

This has firmly convinced me that talent is definitely hereditary.

Any similar stories?

Edited by Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1322166367' post='1447552']

Earlier this evening I visited a couple (my ex-wife and her hubby) who are both talented musicians (sax and piano). Their 8-year-old daughter was eager to perform her skills for me on clarinet and piano. She played faultlessly. I asked her parents how long she had been playing. Apparently since September. I thought she might have put in around an hour a night to reach her standard of playing. No...5 to 10 mins a night.

Any similar stories?
[/quote]
Why would that convince you that talent was hereditary?

5-10 minutes is good learning time if she's practicing the right stuff. Thats what made Jaco so good.

To kick off the controversy i dont believe in the word "talent" as its commonly used. Many people say it like you were born to do it. No i think you just enjoy it and improved your skills more than someone who doesnt enjoy it.

Therefore talent doesn't exist. Instead we should be saying your daughter is very skilled, kinda like at the end of school of rock ;-)

Is that both instruments since September? I'm currently working with a lot of classically trained kids at the mo who are all ultra talented and a lot of them play other instruments to really high standards. Surprising how many have had no training on that instrument whatsoever and have just kind of transferred their skills.A lot of them have very musical parents also and being in that kind of environment must do wonders for their creativity. But then a lot of them have parents who admit they have no musical background either.

Edited by Stu-khag

My mother played the guitar (acoustic) and my grandmother played the piano, but if music is hereditry, then I,m the only one one who has inherited it! :) All my siblings and Hobbayne juinior have no musical ability, although they enjoy listening to music.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1322167285' post='1447566']
+1 :)

Maybe in the OP stance it is more being exposed to the music at an early age. If you wanted to prove it was hereditary you would need top take the child to a [b] non musical environment[/b] and see what happens.
[/quote]

What? like my house? :)

Whatever abilities I do posess are by no means inherited, that's for certain.

My seventeen year old son is enormously more musically talented than me (and even more so than his mother), but:
(1) he's been constantly exposed to music from a wide range of genres since he was in the womb;
(2) he's been having weekly guitar lessons for over ten years;
(3) he's also had some piano lessons;
(4) he's also had some drum lessons;
(5) he's also had some singing lessons;
(6) he's been playing in bands since he was twelve;
(7) he's doing A Level Music
(8) etc.

However, his great-uncle played violin in the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, so I guess it must definitely be hereditary. :)

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1322166367' post='1447552']

Any similar stories?
[/quote]
[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1322166515' post='1447555']
Why would that convince you that talent was hereditary?
[/quote]

+ 1 EssentialTension... How does the OP come to the conclusion that the child must have been born with talent that was passed on from the parents.

The only thing the OP's observations highlight is the theory that multiple pieces of research into children with musical ability have concluded...

Nurture and a musical enviroment are the conditions needed in order for any individual to progress musically from an early age.

Perfect pitch is probably the most obvious example. We are all born with the ability to train our ears to recognise frequencies as different pitches (in the same way we are all born to recognise different light frequencies as colours), but we need an environment in which it is developed (i.e. through the encouragement of musical parents who recognise the skill and can develop the ear through training) and consistent practice, otherwise we lose the skill as we grow older and use it less regularly.

Those are just scientific truths... whether "talent" within any individual helps this process to happen at a higher speed with less need for practice is simply speculation really.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1322168137' post='1447586']
Perfect pitch is probably the most obvious example. We are all born with the ability to train our ears to recognise frequencies as different pitches (in the same way we are all born to recognise different light frequencies as colours), but we need an environment in which it is developed (i.e. through the encouragement of musical parents who recognise the skill and can develop the ear through training) and consistent practice, otherwise we lose the skill as we grow older and use it less regularly ...
[/quote]
There's some research that suggests that children from cultures that speak tone languages (e.g. China) have higher levels of perfect pitch than children from cultures that speak non-tone languages (e.g. English).

I believe you can be born with a more creative mind, but I think (as has already been mentioned) it is more likely that creativity is the result of being born into a creative environment.

Musical talent is mostly about how we choose to use our ears though, so in this sense it must be a conscious choice in our infancy to elect to use our inherent ability to judge pitch and rhythm, and then to further apply it to our chosen instrument or voice.

Edited by risingson

We all posses "race memory", even if it's just when we hear a dog growl, so why not more useful things, like an ability to pick up languages, or get to grips with an instrument easier than others? We call it having a "flair" or "gift" for it, or similar.

That's not to say it's all that matters, of course.

I remember my bass teacher telling me that one famous musician responded to the comment "I wish I had your talent" with something along the lines of: "go away for fifteen years, practice for seven hours every day, go on the road with different bands and then come back and talk to me about talent".

I think the term 'talent' needs further definition in the OP.

There's an old adage about 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. I'd tend to agree.

I was described as 'talented' at drawing from a fairly young age. I don't think I was talented at all. I just enjoyed doing it and developed the skill. I started off from a position of not being able to draw at all, just like everyone else. Drawing helped me express a very vivid childhood imagination in a very tangible way. That was the reward for me as I guess it is for most kids. The only difference was that I spent more time doing it than other kids.

The "hard work" seems more like play if its enjoyable and rewarding.

Generally I believe perceptions of whether someone is talented just underlie a lack of appreciation about the time and effort its taken to get to the point where it looks easy.

However. There is one exception.

[url="https://plus.google.com/u/0/102321373525880560392/posts/UDSrT2F2DZA#102321373525880560392/posts/UDSrT2F2DZA"]https://plus.google.com/u/0/102321373525880560392/posts/UDSrT2F2DZA#102321373525880560392/posts/UDSrT2F2DZA[/url]

Neither of my parents play a musical instrument. Some may say neither do I. That would be foolish of them. I can play a bit.

And my God-Daughter has developed a knack for musical instrumets, despite neither of her parents being able to play.

[quote name='99ster' timestamp='1322180100' post='1447772']
Tim Buckley & Jeff Buckley...
Bearing in mind that (by all accounts) Tim had no part in his son's upbringing - maybe a good example of inherited talent?
[/quote]
I'm pretty sure I read his mam was classically trained and immersed him in music

I think talent is partly inherited and partly down to practice. I have a friend that used to play, he seemed to be tone deaf and had no idea if he was playing the right notes or not. Having said that he didn't seem to care either.

I would agree that certain advantages can be inherited, and maybe a combination of those would be the ideal.