Why become a member? ×

VERY HANDY TIPS.

funkgod

Thought it might be a good idea to have a tips section as i am sure all of us will have at least one
we could all use.
ok, to get the ball rolling, im going to give mine i have been using for years now and is very handy
regarding leads.
i hire and do the band pa and i got sick of trying to find what lead goes where in the spaghetti.
Cure..
next time you or the kids throw away felt tip pens take out the refill and slice the pen into 7mm (ish) rings put a slit down the edge, these then you can wrap around either ends of leads ( not all the same colour ! HA) hay presto, no more wondering what that is in the multicore box.
you can even group your leads, example, brass section yellow rings 1ring on one, two on the other, 3 on another
EASY
your welcome :)

Leads and sockets: to help my mainly ignorant band members help with the PA set up, I got some little coloured stickers - the sort from office suppliers - stuck the colours on the plus and sockets then it is largely saying red to red, etc. Thankfully you cannot plug a jack into an XLR and vice versa.

Also I use velcro cable ties in various colours to signify which leads are mine and then to tie them up.

Now I only have to teach them about coiling leads!

SPARES ahh yes.
i always have in my bag,
Spare....
strings
lead
battery
and the the biggy,,,,,,,,, FUSES for plug and amp

oh my fave,,, you buy cheap, you buy twice.......( only about 90% right)

and my best advice to all.... Buy and use a circuit breaker best £8 you can spend.
you gear might be good but the wiring in some venues is HORRENDOUS.

Like this one.....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RCD-Power-Circuit-Breaker-Socket-Plug-Safety-Switch-/140334475536?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Electrical_Fittings_MJ&hash=item20ac962910

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1319795870' post='1418619']
Never ever Bloody anything ever!
[/quote]

Unless I'm misunderstanding, this needs another verb?
Otherwise, I reckon most of us can see the de-merits of getting blood in/on instruments/equipment/audiences :) (especiallyif it's your own)

A serious one from me this time.

If you have a penchant for going through basses like me or even if not, get yourself down to Wilkinsons or a cheap shop of some kind and pickup yourself up a set of allen keys.

I picked up a set of metric and imperial in edinburgh for about £3.

That will save you having to ask what one you need as you already have it and it just a matter of a couple of minutes finding the right one.

[quote name='vsmith1' timestamp='1319707567' post='1417405']
Leads and sockets: to help my mainly ignorant band members help with the PA set up, I got some little coloured stickers - the sort from office suppliers - stuck the colours on the plus and sockets then it is largely saying red to red, etc. Thankfully you cannot plug a jack into an XLR and vice versa.

Also I use velcro cable ties in various colours to signify which leads are mine and then to tie them up.

Now I only have to teach them about coiling leads!
[/quote]

Good luck with that - I've tried but have given up. Watching people in the two bands I play with pulling out piles of knotted cable spaghetti from their carrier bags is now a source of wry amusement rather than angst. A particular favourite seems to be winding a cable into a big loop and then tying it into a knot to prevent it uncoiling! Plugging into amps on full volume is another common trait. I also used to be astonished at the mind process that could result in a 1/4-inch jack just being plugged into any suitable socket without any idea if it was the right one but, having tried and failed to teach people the error of their ways, now I just smile my inner smile and realised that old cliche about the bass player being the only one in a band with any technical nous to be true.

Anyway, all my cables are clearly labelled and everyone knows to leave them well alone!

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1319802475' post='1418744']
Could someone please explain the right way to coil leads? I try to pack them away nicely but when I unravel them the knot gremlin has always visited.
[/quote]

summat like [url="http://www.planetwaves.com/PWMediaDetail.Page?ActiveID=2945&MediaId=673"]this[/url] - if you get your coil size right, you'll end up with the jacks close together. Bind them there (I use velcro) and they won't interfere with other cables in your bag/case.

[quote name='Booooooom' timestamp='1319803265' post='1418761']

summat like [url="http://www.planetwaves.com/PWMediaDetail.Page?ActiveID=2945&MediaId=673"]this[/url] - if you get your coil size right, you'll end up with the jacks close together. Bind them there (I use velcro) and they won't interfere with other cables in your bag/case.
[/quote]
Blimey! I've spent the last 20 odd years doing it the third wrong way. I was actually taught that way by a professional guitarist and instrument lead maker. The alternative loops way does make sense though.

Likewise, I spent years coiling my cables the 3rd wrong way - having been taught by a pro sound engineer! Although it does keep them in better nick than the first two methods, it does result eventually in kinking in the cable. It wasn't until I started a new job a couple of years ago, doing a lot of off-shore engineering work, that I was shown the correct method. We refer to it as 'French coiling' for some reason, but it works on the heavy duty sub-sea cables we use, and works equally well on guitar & mic leads.

Another method, which is good for heavier duty cable (like multi-core runs not on a reel), is to lay the cable out on the floor in a figure-8 pattern, and build it up as you go. It's easy to spot and kinks or twists and take them out as you go.

I've cables in my gig bag that get used regularly and are 15 years old, which work fine. No guitarist I've ever worked with has had a lead older than 18 months... :)

Another one:

I bought myself a Brother tape label printing machine - I put my name on my (bigger) stuff, but on PSUs (Wall-warts) I put a label telling me what it is used with; there are so many and often not even made by the maker of the device they power, that it is not easy to remember what goes with which.

Not convinced that my name label would deter any light-fingered oik, but helps me get my stuff from my bandmates.