Why become a member? ×

LET'S HEAR IT FOR THE WAGS!

thebrig

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1319096427' post='1409721']
It's lovely to read what you lot are saying about your partners. :)

One thing though... have you told them this? In actual words to thier faces??
If you haven't, go do it now!!!
[/quote]

I did last night when I got home :)

Mrs X (who actually joined the forum, but has never used her login) supports my playing. Whether it be Bass, Guitar or something else, as long as it doesn't interfere with our weekends she's more than happy for me to play (she's fine with the odd gig here & there).
As I recently discovered my bridge being broken on my bass, she's offered to buy me a replacement. How sweet is that! :)

My wife has no interest in my playing what so ever - but accepts my addiction. She's been to one gig and was thoroughly bored - i'm not offended though as I know she doesn't like any 'guitar based' music.

But, she's keen for me to practice at night (quietly, with headphones - no slap !). Not sure if that's so I don't bother her in other ways and she can watch TV though :).

[quote name='nomis' timestamp='1319123748' post='1410268']
Mrs Nomis is a legend, totally understands GAS! Pretends to understand what im talking about and tried to understand gear!

everyone should have a mrs nomis (but not mine)
[/quote]

And she's happy to accept your stage gear (see your avator). :) :)

Dave :)

Edited by dmccombe7

My wife is an absolute star, never moans about the amount of gear i buy, the amount of gigs i do or the fact that when i rehearse on a wednesday night i'm gone before she gets home from work and i go straight from rehearsal to do a nightshift and often miss her in the morning too. I sometimes play football sunday morning and rehearse in the afternoon, all she says is "let me know when you're on your way back from football and i'll get lunch ready so you can have time for a quick chill before rehearsal"! She doesn't even mind when my gear takes over the house at times(at the moment the Warwick rig and Ashdown rig in my sig are both stood in our dining room), and all this with the added bonus that she's 28 and very very hot(i'm 41 bald and overweight)!

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1319127250' post='1410364']
My wife is an absolute star, never moans about the amount of gear i buy, the amount of gigs i do or the fact that when i rehearse on a wednesday night i'm gone before she gets home from work and i go straight from rehearsal to do a nightshift and often miss her in the morning too. I sometimes play football sunday morning and rehearse in the afternoon, all she says is "let me know when you're on your way back from football and i'll get lunch ready so you can have time for a quick chill before rehearsal"! She doesn't even mind when my gear takes over the house at times(at the moment the Warwick rig and Ashdown rig in my sig are both stood in our dining room), and all this with the added bonus that she's 28 and very very hot(i'm 41 bald and overweight)!
[/quote]

You lucky sod - a warwick rig !!!! :)

What did you think i was gonna say :)

Nice one

Dave

This from my cab-build thread:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1287082672' post='988361']
I was testing whether the jack sockets were airtight (after a query on BFM forum) by blowing through them.

The current mrs discreet (now a long-suffering plywood widow) came home to find me with my lips around one of the sockets.
Wearily she said, 'You've gone too far'.
[/quote]

Edited by discreet

Ms Throwoff (Mrs as of March 24th :) ) is a star.
She not only puts up with my basses all over the house but also my brothers guitars!

She even pays a passing but nice interest in what im going on about when I chat about basses.

I was torn whether to use my 600 quid on an ipad or a bass, and her words were 'a bass will last forever, the ipad will be old soon'. What a sweetie :)

Herself is not remotely interested, but is remarkably supportive in matters of time and expense. And her ability to quietly absorb information is astonishing.

I'd been trying out an amp and suffering the 'assistance' of a rather snooty shop-boy intent on flogging everything else in the shop. On her arrival in-store, the lad smirks "Oh, look out, here comes the little woman".

From across the shop I could see her hackles rise . "Ah," says she "Whats that guitar you're playing?"

"Tom Anderson"

"Oh. Rich man's knock-off Tele. Chambered body?" (she was correct)

She turned to the assistant and with an imperious flutter of her hand said "Be a good chap and go and get him a proper one with Fender on the headstock."

People, I tell you my heart swelled with pride.

Edited by skankdelvar

Mrs Rev is exceptionally tolerant of my musical habits - 2 bands, regular rehearsals, whole weekends spent gigging in other parts of the country and of course, the multiple basses in the living room (though I'm much, much neater around the house than she is....). Occasionally she gets a bit bored/lonely if I'm away for a whole weekend, but I make sure to use the gig money to treat her to dinner or a shopping spree and any gig free weekends are 'hers'. She's even suggested she'll buy me a new double bass for my 40th next April, but I don't think I can let her spend that much money on me. And I can't wait that long. :)

We were having a conversation about this very subject on the way back from a gig last weekend and we realised that the band wouldn't be as busy or successful wothout the levels of WAG support that we enjoy. Two members have very young children, two work part time jobs to have enough time to run the band and the guitarist's other half is our manager/photographer/driver. Having been in plenty of bands where gigs/rehearsals/going for a p*ss have to be cleared with member's other halves, you soon realise just how important that support is.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1319451013' post='1414098']
Herself is not remotely interested, but is remarkably supportive in matters of time and expense. And her ability to quietly absorb information is astonishing.

I'd been trying out an amp and suffering the 'assistance' of a rather snooty shop-boy intent on flogging everything else in the shop. On her arrival in-store, the lad smirks "Oh, look out, here comes the little woman".

From across the shop I could see her hackles rise . "Ah," says she "Whats that guitar you're playing?"

"Tom Anderson"

"Oh. Rich man's knock-off Tele. Chambered body?" (she was correct)

She turned to the assistant and with an imperious flutter of her hand said "Be a good chap and go and get him a proper one with Fender on the headstock."

People, I tell you my heart swelled with pride.
[/quote]

Brilliant!

You lot are very lucky guys- my Mrs couldnt be less interested in my bass playing and the worst thing in the world is if the wags get together- I just know they will be moaning about how much we are gigging.

Still she is lovely and when I was a pro musician did not at all moan- didnt have any kids then though.

The band is really my social lads thing and the girls know they are really not that welcome at gigs, not that they ever want to go to gigs. Just my way of keeping my hand in I suppose.

The almost unanimously supportive partners mentioned in all these posts makes this a very heartwarming topic, though I'm beginning to wonder if the posters are a bit of a self-selected bunch and that the warm feeling may not be truly justified.

I'm thinking of all those hateful, domineering, bass-hating partners who are so fierce that their bass-loving partners don't even get a chance to post about their strife. Their bass love and urges are rendered voiceless in the face of such harridans.

I propose a minute's silence for all our comrades-in-bass who may never be heard.