Why become a member? ×

Depressing things your bandmates say.

arthurhenry

[quote name='mrdreadful' timestamp='1318339108' post='1400788']
Sometimes, and I get this might be a bit of a radical notion, stuff happens unexpectedly! Also, there are a lot of things that are ongoing and can't just be put aside (like having kids, for example).

As for the "preciousness" of time when you actually have enough free time anyway to do things like being in a band: First World Problems, innit?

I'm not saying people should just be allowed to flake out whenever they want, but that people should consider the reasons why they did before bitching about it, 'kay?
[/quote]

Unexpected events are rare, hence unexpected.
I doubt people here bitch at unexpected delays and unexpected cancellations. When cancelling or not finding time to achieve what someone AGREED to do previously becomes a repetitive pattern, then people bitch. Rightfully so. It's about respect.

I never get mad if someone has to cancel unexpectedly. Things happen.
I would get mad if someone repeatedly forgets to do what they agreed to do a week or three previously.
But then, I don't hang around with people who act like that. It's a waste of time. Best to keep moving until you find reliable/responsible/respectful people. They are rare, but they are out there.

[quote name='mrdreadful' timestamp='1318365624' post='1401298']
Maybe I just spend too much time on the internet... my experience is that people online blow things massively out of proportion and treat one off occurences as the final straw. If I'm wrongly applying that logic to this place I apologise.
[/quote]

What I think is that sometimes people are too lazy [*] to change their situation and fire people, get new members, even quit and find other bands, and they put up with a lot of little things time and again. Then sometimes, a seemingly small event can trigger a miniexplosion.

At least, that's my take seeing what some people complain about.. in their *current* bands. Maybe I am more impatient than most.

[*] getting my asbestos suit on :)

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1318347709' post='1400953']
The parmo has worked it's way up from Middlesborough (where rumour has it first appeared in the UK) to newcastle. They are impossibly vile. I'd rather a Donner...
[/quote]
The parmo is possibly the greatest culinary creation on Earth. You don't have to settle with chicken, the pork variety is just as common.
But here on Teesside (yes I'm a local) we've moved on a bit, some establishments are now serving 'pizza parmo pie'. Essentially its a parmo (chicken or pork) on a pie crust base with a selection of pizza toppings - usually pepperoni.
Watch out it's the future!

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' timestamp='1318229901' post='1399309']
"I've hired some pyrotechnics" - percussion player in former band.

Yep, it's a great idea to hire pyrotechnics for a venue with a low ceiling. BANG... FLASH.... KERBOOM..... Are the audience enjoying the sight of a band obscured by smoke from the knees up as much as I'm enjoying lungfulls of the said smoke? I can laugh now... then all I could do was turn my lungs out.
[/quote]

If I could go tangential for a single post......

I was trying to recall to mind what this post above, reminded me of. Now i have remembered.

A mid 1960's band from the Midlands called [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Move"]The Move[/url], [i](later to morph into E.L.O.)[/i] consisted of Bev Bevan (drummer) Roy Wood (guitar) Trevor Burton (rythym guitar) Carl Wayne (vocals ) Ace Kefford (Bass). They used to end their set with a track called "i can hear the grass grow" it was an instrumental coda to the original song. One by one the players would leave the stage and lean their guitars on the amps giving huge feedback, till all that was left was Bev Bevan pounding out a stentorian drum solo. So as the track closed, Bevan leant down behind his kit and lit a huge firecracker, unseen to the audience. He then went off himself behind the now almost totally dark stage (instuments still feeding back ) Then all of a sudden an enourmous BANG with smoke filling the place.The main amp plug was pulled at the same time, leaving silence. Those in the know say it was the most amazing end to a set ever seen. Still talked of by those who saw it and apparently, as a set closer, never equalled.

Why dont someone try it, its probably been forgotten know, (except by the oldies who were there themselves) :)
[center][b]The Move [/b](circa 1966)[/center]

Edited by daz

In a similar vein (souvenir, souvenir...)...
Hawkwind, Kingston Poly, circa 1974. I left when the Golden Rain and sparklers were set off towards end of set. With the long draperies and curtains all around the hall, 'twould have been a death trap if they'd gone up. Health and safety..? Never 'erd of it...
Happy daze...

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1318440003' post='1402221']
In a similar vein (souvenir, souvenir...)...
Hawkwind, Kingston Poly, circa 1974. I left when the Golden Rain and sparklers were set off towards end of set. With the long draperies and curtains all around the hall, 'twould have been a death trap if they'd gone up. Health and safety..? Never 'erd of it...
Happy daze...
[/quote]

Yup, your flares might have flared ...

"I think we should get a second guitarist"

and

"we should try and sound like this *plays a song from relativley well-known band*"

are the two i hate most, the guitarist one is purely just because i feel having 1 guitarist makes the band much much tighter whilst playing live and the 2nd one is because i hate when bandmates purposly (spelling?) try and sound like another band

I arrived a bit late to the practice last night. The two guitarists and drummer had already started and played a number while I set up. At the end of the number one of the guitarists says "I'm not sure about that number. It's lacking something"

(Probably the Bass. Right?)

but I said "It was a bit out of tune". He asked "Which bit was out of tune?". I replied "All of it. Mainly the guitars"

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1319093922' post='1409692']
this one is in D but were doing it in Bflat

not just once but almost every song in the set! :)

i dont complain TOO loud to be honest as im not a singist so i guess its their prerogative
[/quote]
Nice to have a detuned bass handy :)

"so,like.. Markbass.. Thats made by Behringer yeah?" :)

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1319111373' post='1409996']
The worst thing I ever heard from a bandmate was him telling us his girlfriend had told him he didn`t need to be in a band anymore, as he now had her.
[/quote]
Staggering 'sense of self-worth' award 2011.

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1319105102' post='1409867']
Well, you do don`t you?
If not you must be the only bloody one here!
I`ve been finding I actually prefer [u]tuning down to Eflat for a lot of songs[/u],makes life easier in many respects,but you do need two basses.
[/quote]

Any Stevie Wonder song for a start!

Yes, I understand the transposition theory but I'm sure Mr Wonder can write in any key and transpose it for any instrument he likes.... Eb minor pentatonic is the 5 black keys on a keyboard.
I can't think of too many other artists who use this key so much.

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1319124630' post='1410302']
Yes, I understand the transposition theory but I'm sure Mr Wonder can write in any key and transpose it for any instrument he likes.... Eb minor pentatonic is the 5 black keys on a keyboard.
I can't think of too many other artists who use this key so much.
[/quote]
Zutons Valerie (sax)
Mary J Blige Family
Jocelyn Brown Somebody elses guy (or given my keyboard player now rechristened Somebody Elses Chords)
Gwen Guthrie Nothing going on but the rent
Swing out sister Am I the same Girl
Are just some of the tunes I need to detune for.There are more on the upcoming setlist
You can play them in normal tuning, but there`s no low E and it`s a pita.
I suppose we could transpose up to E but that`s a little sophisticated for the keys player and I just got him to a state where he mostly remembers the key.