Why become a member? ×

Depressing things your bandmates say.

arthurhenry

[quote name='algmusic' timestamp='1318258398' post='1399765']

OK Ok.. I think the drummer thing is getting a bit outta hand.. I think the issues you speak with drummers is like any other musician is if they don't know their instrument and more importantly how it relates to music or even understand music.

It really annoys my when people think that a drummer only knows about time and 'beats'. If the drummer is a musician he/she will have an understanding of pitch, notes, chords and arrangements to some degree as well as time. I'm actually a drummer, bassist and guitarist (ish) and I think drummers fall in the same hole when they don't learn the basics of music which actually includes pitch and the relation to other music. When I taught drums, I'd always encouraged my students to play pitched instruments as it turns them into a musician rather than a drummer. I also relate things to pitch and melody as well as time in lessons. I think as bassist we gotta think how many times people say 'playing bass is easy, there's only 4 strings' and 'just play the root notes and shut up, you don't even play chords'.

Rant over.. I know most of this is a joke, but maybe the drummer side of me is getting sensitive :) :)
[/quote]

Yeah well the thing is..[b] most [/b]drummers are not musicians who play pitched instruments and read music are they ??

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1318277177' post='1400070']

Yeah well the thing is..[b] most [/b]drummers are not musicians who play pitched instruments and read music are they ??
[/quote]
(Warning: a tad of sarcasm may have crept in to this post. Apologies to those not targeted...)
Surely not a touch of jealousy here..?

[i]I shoulda learned to play the guitar
I shoulda learned to play them drums
Look at that mama, she got it stickin' in the camera
Man we could have some
And he's up there, what's that? Hawaiian noises?
Bangin' on the bongoes like a chimpanzee
That ain't workin' that's the way you do it
Get your money for nothin' get your chicks for free[/i]

Most..? Don't really know, but I have met a fair number of percussionists that play a mean 4-hammer vibrophone. Yes, I suppose [i]some[/i] drummers aren't musicians. Not like them bass fellers; now there's symphonic harmony for you. Such erudition.Makes me wish I'd gone to school, instead of clouting these bits of wood together. Oh, well...

today's gem....

father of a drummer i know: 'my am-dram company need a band for some incidental music for a show next week - would you be interested?'
me: 'sure'
f.o.a.d.i.k.: 'it won't be much of a payer, mind, £100 and a curry for 3 shows..... and you've got to dress as a WW2 american G.I.'
me: 'that's ok it sounds like a bit of a laugh'
f.o.a.d.i.k.: 'ok i'll need the £30 for the costume rental up front'

i won't be doing the gig.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1318285313' post='1400198']
(Warning: a tad of sarcasm may have crept in to this post. Apologies to those not targeted...)
Surely not a touch of jealousy here..?

[i]I shoulda learned to play the guitar[/i]
[i]I shoulda learned to play them drums[/i]
[i]Look at that mama, she got it stickin' in the camera[/i]
[i]Man we could have some[/i]
[i]And he's up there, what's that? Hawaiian noises?[/i]
[i]Bangin' on the bongoes like a chimpanzee[/i]
[i]That ain't workin' that's the way you do it[/i]
[i]Get your money for nothin' get your chicks for free[/i]

Most..? Don't really know, but I have met a fair number of percussionists that play a mean 4-hammer vibrophone. Yes, I suppose [i]some[/i] drummers aren't musicians. Not like them bass fellers; now there's symphonic harmony for you. Such erudition.Makes me wish I'd gone to school, instead of clouting these bits of wood together. Oh, well...
[/quote]

This drummer's on the wrong forum! :)

"oh... I forgot the powerpack to this keyboard"
This at 1.45,reh started at 1.00 he arrived at 1.30.
Me,don`t you have a spare?
"no, I`ll have to go get it"...
Returns at 2.05 finishes setting up by 2.15,has to be dissuaded from going out to get some food.
Gets a phone call at 3.00
"ohh, sh~~ I forgot I have to pick my son up from school, gotta go, good rehearsals!"
A not rare occurrence

[quote name='Ian Savage' timestamp='1318260080' post='1399797']
What about when he's not playing ANY of them, which IME is when 90% of accidental damage to guitars happens? :)
[/quote]

Absolutely true, unless you've just bought your first ever Jazz bass and plonk it on the usual stand you use only to see it topple over as you learn the down side of the asymmetric shape to the jazz body!

(Actually, why its funny is that while he's playing a bass and one stand is free the guitarist will be playing his guitar and so won't be needing need the stand!)

Luckily the guys I play with at the moment are all fairly like minded. We like electric instruments, 1980's pop and jazz fusion so we rarely argue. In the past though, particularly when I was playing sideman or doing favours for friends, there were some horrific comments. Usually along the lines of wanting to cover some awful song, try a 'new arrangement' (a byword for a sloppy re-imagining most of the time) or do some acoustic stuff. Groan.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1318259884' post='1399793']

Yep. You need to realise there is a big difference between a drummer, and a musician who can drum.
[/quote]

I don't think you know what a drummer is. A drummer is a musician. Someone who plays the drums isn't a drummer. They just happen to use a drumkit

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1318323267' post='1400405']
Busy doing what, exactly?
Why be in a band if you're not going to put the time and effort in? Why? I don't get it!! :)
[/quote]

How[i] dare[/i] people have life outside the band?!

Edited by mrdreadful

[quote name='mrdreadful' timestamp='1318333886' post='1400651']
How[i] dare[/i] people have life outside the band?!
[/quote]
Exactly! I'm not saying you should live together or anything, but it's only three numbers for Christ's sake!
How long would that take you? Eh? Answer me!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1318335330' post='1400686']
Exactly! I'm not saying you should live together or anything, but it's only three numbers for Christ's sake!
How long would that take you? Eh? Answer me!
[/quote]

+1

I think it comes down to the agreement of the band. For me I like to agree what's expected and that's what we do regardless of it being paid or not. It's mutual respect for the rest of the people who have taken their time to learn the song in the. Just say during the rehearsal before 'i'm not gonna have time to learn all these'.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1318336252' post='1400715']

Well it depends. sometimes folk think because they have the time to learn three tunes in a week everyone else should. They might forget they are off because of summer/chrimbo break in Uni or such and the other person is hitting a busy time in work and is having to do the old OT.
[/quote]

this is exactly what my last band was like. they all did ridiculous courses with 5 hours of lectures a week, and therefore assumed that I would have the same amount of free time as them, when infact I have a very busy week working in a lab until 6 or 7 every evening :/ people annoy me [s]sometimes[/s] most of the time :)

Yeah. Does the person who didn't learn the tunes have children? Or a job that necessitates working lots of overtime? Or a sick relative? Or a sleep disorder? Or any number of other possible factors? Sometimes when someone says they didn't have time to do something they actually didn't... don't assume they're just being lazy unless you have good reason to.

[quote name='mrdreadful' timestamp='1318337040' post='1400726']
Yeah. Does the person who didn't learn the tunes have children? Or a job that necessitates working lots of overtime? Or a sick relative? Or a sleep disorder? Or any number of other possible factors? Sometimes when someone says they didn't have time to do something they actually didn't... don't assume they're just being lazy unless you have good reason to.
[/quote]
Sure there are times when its just not possible. But there is an implication from those that don't learn the tune that their time is more precious than those that have learnt a song. Like all walks of life there are those that will make the effort and those that won't. Personally, i like to be prepared. Some guys like to wing it. Those that wing it are always going to be more of a liability than those that put the work in.