Why become a member? ×

40somethings...still trying to make it..??

JTUK

Pop/Rock music is really no longer just a "young man's game". The audience from the 50s and 60s has grown up but hasn't necessarily moved on. As Giles Smith says in his book Lost In Music (paraphrasing because I can't find the book right now to quote it accurately): "Pop music isn't something we grew out of, it grew up with us." And as Earl Brutus said: "Pop music is wasted on the young."

As a teenager growing up in the 70s all my musical heroes looked old - even though in reality they were just adults and probably none of them were more than 10 years older than me, so the age thing has never been particularly important to me. It was always was the music any good and did the band look cool? If the answer to those two questions was yes then I was sold on it.

And looking cool doesn't mean looking young. It's all about using what you have. I've never been a particularly attractive looking person, but I know how to make the best of what I have and how to perform like I mean it. If you don't believe in yourself it's unlikely that anyone else will.

As for making it, I suppose on a most basic level for me it's making my musical activities self-sufficient (something that for the first time the band I'm in is close to achieving). On the next level it would be making a living out of playing music I love and not having to financially support myself through other activities. After that anything else is a bonus.

I find it rather amusing that this subject has come up on the day that I turn 51!

I used to think that my band would "make it" but that kind of fell apart 4 years ago. Since then i've thought about this a lot. I don't want to work a boring job for the rest of my life. I don't ever want to stop playing original music. I can't see me ever making money from original music. What's the answer?

EDIT: Also there are some very cool older bands including Dick Venom and the Terrotones (the CD is great!).

Edited by cheddatom

As rightly mentioned above, it all depends on the definition of 'making it'.

I used to be 'making it' in my job, except I was working 12 hour days and travelling away from home a lot. I was making a lot of money as a result but had very little time to myself. Of course, it was great fun for a while, travelling around the world on expenses (sometimes with my family) but after a while the lack of personal time became more of an issue and I started to begrudge working so hard - especially when at least half of my time was spent paying taxes. So, when the opportunity arose, I decided to 'downshift' and effectively retired. I'm now 54 and spend all my time pursuing my various interests, including playing in a couple of bands for fun.

Here's a favourite little story:

[i]A rich businessman was holidaying on a small tropical island. A small, one-man fishing boat drew up on the sandy beach. Inside the boat were several large tasty-looking fish.
"That's quite a fine catch," noted the businessman. "How long did it take you to pull those in?"
"Only a little while," said the fisherman.
"So why don't you stay out fishing longer and catch more fish?" said the rich man.
"This is enough to take care of the needs of my family," replied the fisherman.
"But what do you do with all the rest of your time?" asked the businessman.
The fisherman said, "I sleep late, I fish a little, I spend time with my wife and play with my children. Then I rest in the afternoon. In the evening, I visit the rest of my family or stroll into the village where I have a drink with my friends. I have a full and busy life."
The rich man scoffed. "I have a business degree from one of the best universities in the world. I can help you. If you spent more time fishing, you could buy a bigger boat with the profits you make. With the profits from the bigger boat you could buy several more boats until eventually you would own a whole fleet of fishing boats. Then instead of selling the fish to a middleman you could sell the fish directly to the processor and increase your profit margin. Eventually, you could open up your own canning factory and become a wealthy business owner. Of course, you would have to leave this tropical paradise by the sea and move to the city and maybe even later to another country to manage your growing business."
"How long would all of that take?" the fisherman wanted to know.
"Oh, at least 15 years, maybe 25" replied the businessman.
"But what then?" asked the humble fisherman.
The businessman laughed and said, "That's the best part. When the time is right, you can sell your company and become a multi-millionnaire. You'd be rich beyond your dreams."
"Millions!" exclaimed the fisherman. "Then what?"
"Then you could retire to a tropical paradise by the sea," said the businessman, "where you could sleep late, you could fish a little, spend time with your wife, play with your kids, then rest in the afternoon. In the evening, you could stroll into the village and have a drink with your friends. You see how wonderful things could be!"[/i]

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1317717594' post='1393530']
yeah I've met a fair few people like this who musically are average but have somehow convinced themselves that they are going to make it and have left school gotten a crappy job while they play music at night. Fast forward 30 years and they're still doing the same thing.

I dont know sometimes I think its a bit sad and a waste of a life but then again who am I to tell people how to live and if its what they want to do and also what other people want to hear then good luck to them . I'm sure there are many examples of people who have slogged for years before "making it"
[/quote]

That is sad that you view someone's success by how much money they earn or their job.

[quote name='ironside1966' timestamp='1317726655' post='1393674']

That is sad that you view someone's success by how much money they earn or their job.
[/quote]

I didnt say how much money they earned

But the 2 examples I'm thinking of both people hate their job and have to work long hours as they are so badly paid. Not only that but they are in constant fear of getting the sack as well. Not really a place I want to be TBH

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1317725730' post='1393650']

And looking cool doesn't mean looking young. It's all about using what you have. I've never been a particularly attractive looking person, but I know how to make the best of what I have and how to perform like I mean it. If you don't believe in yourself it's unlikely that anyone else will.

[/quote]

True in every respect, not just in music!!

And happy birthday, BTW :)

[quote name='ironside1966' timestamp='1317728300' post='1393698']
....if you are young and you may have a young family to support, would you risk that could you really quit your job and take the time away from home needed? Even with a major deal there is still a strong possibility you won't make any money....
[/quote]
With this kind of reasoning you're far too normal and well balanced to "make it"!

I turned 27 in July, and find myself wondering when will be time to pack in the whole originals band route. I've got a baby on the way, and two step-kids already, and my other half is definitely losing patience with the time and money it takes to sustain the band. Started trying to put my new band together almost a year ago, and after countless false starts and line up changes, I'm still two band members short of where I need to be.

The frustrating thing is that I'm reaching a point musically where after years of learning and trying different things, I feel like I know what I want to do, and I'm finally really confident in the music I'm writing, and in taking the reins with the band - I'm just not in the position I used to be to throw myself into it in the same way. How do you reconcile it?

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]I knew I was done at 24. I'd nearly "made it" several times and I thought I'd had my chance so I got a [i]proper[/i] job. 2 weeks later my old drummer tried one final time to get me to join their band but I said no. The guy they got in after that was Neil Murray! [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Maybe I gave up too soon![/font][/color][/size]

Edited by chris_b

My definition of 'making it' would be to accrue enough money to not have to work anymore. ..and that would likely be by playing in a very successful outfit for quite a time.
The people I mentioned in the OP would have this as a goal, I think.

Quite a few guys round here have very decent CV's but cannot live off royaties or money in the bank and therefore still have to work.
You'd be very surprised who turns up on a few decent fun £50 payers !!!

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1317729569' post='1393727']
I turned 27 in July, and find myself wondering when will be time to pack in the whole originals band route. I've got a baby on the way, and two step-kids already, and my other half is definitely losing patience with the time and money it takes to sustain the band. Started trying to put my new band together almost a year ago, and after countless false starts and line up changes, I'm still two band members short of where I need to be.

The frustrating thing is that I'm reaching a point musically where after years of learning and trying different things, I feel like I know what I want to do, and I'm finally really confident in the music I'm writing, and in taking the reins with the band - I'm just not in the position I used to be to throw myself into it in the same way. How do you reconcile it?
[/quote]
Just keep going. I meet people and they say "wow - you are still gigging"! Why is this a surprise for an athletic and young looking 45 year old (tongue in cheek). I don't get why or how some people could do a few gigs and then hang their guitars up and retire. Really helps to have an understanding partner though.

I think as you get older the concept of fame and/or 'making it' if you will becomes less and less attractive. I've made reasonably good money out of playing music (strangely, despite being rubbish) at one time or another but it was bloody hard work, generally at unsociable hours.

I'm 47 now and would rather get a good nights sleep and go out walking with the dog on my days off. Playing is still fun but that's the only reason I do it.

Edited by thepurpleblob

I'm 50 next year and am in an originals alternative rock band. It's clear from most of the multi-band gigs we've played (where we usually headline) the teens and 20-somethings are typically into "Arctic Monkey clone" type of bands and haven't much time for us, other than maybe some curiosity value!

The problem for us is turning the favourable responses at gigs we get from people in the 30's+ age groups into the kind of support that will tell their friends and buy tickets to see us again at other venues.

It also means that we often can't sell all of our ticket allocation at the "pay to play" venues we've gigged at and have to fund the non-sales ourselves. :)

Just as well then that I've never had any aspiration whatsoever to "make it" or be in any way famous - for me it's only about the music - but sometimes it feels like a very expensive hobby. :)

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1317725556' post='1393647']
The only things I'm interested in making are music and tea. :) (aged 51)
[/quote]

Hmm, Tea. Oh, I make a mean crab apple jelly as well. The bass is getting there slllooowwwlly. (aged 37).

Not planning on "making it" myself, as there is virtually no way I'd be able to match the money my day job gets me (I'll leave it up to you whether that means I'm on a reasonable salary or am hopeless at bass). But would like to think that there is a band somewhere in the not-too-distant future that I can help create music with.

Edited by fatboyslimfast

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1317731123' post='1393756']
I think as you get older the concept of fame and/or 'making it' if you will becomes less and less attractive. I've made reasonably good money out of playing music (strangely, despite being rubbish) at one time or another but it was bloody hard work, generally at unsociable hours.

I'm 47 now and would rather get a good nights sleep and go out walking with the dog on my days off. Playing is still fun but that's the only reason I do it.
[/quote]

Snap.Although I'm 49 and haven't got a dog.I'm having more fun now than I did 20 years ago,

The other issue with the 40+ age group is most of the people this age who like going to see live music have settled down, with kids and houses and can't be arsed or afford to go out and see bands anymore. Thus making it more frustating for those still playing as they play to a venue of 3 people. Plus there are less venues these days having live music or original bands. Its just more things stacked up against bothering.

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1317733541' post='1393821']
The other issue with the 40+ age group is most of the people this age who like going to see live music have settled down, with kids and houses and can't be arsed or afford to go out and see bands anymore. Thus making it more frustating for those still playing as they play to a venue of 3 people. Plus there are less venues these days having live music or original bands. Its just more things stacked up against bothering.
[/quote]

This is quite true in our case. We play a range of stuff but I guess our audience might typically be 40's.... you try getting them out too many times. They have the money but also too many other things to do socially.
Of all the things wrong with our band, it is keeping an audience over a few months.or targetting them in the first place.

Other bands are far more successful getting attendance and it really is a mystery.and a major frustration..