Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

NOT GREAT NEW BASS DAY - EBMM Ray HH Matching Headstock

Musicman20

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1319632393' post='1416626']
sh*te, that's my cock up for calling ST a 'distributor' - good job you've got a streak of pedantry to back up the good advice :)

So do you reckon it's not worth contacting EBMM? I'm still in favour of dropping them a line, given the bass has been tampered with somewhere along the line - though I wouldn't be expecting them to put things right (although Lakland did, in the example above), as the contract is with the retailer.
[/quote]

The retailer in this case is the shop, The Bass Merchant (BM). Gareth has a contract with BM. It is up to BM to make right his order.

The distributor is Strings and Things (S&T). Gareth does not have a contract with S&T, they have no obligation to deal with him directly. They do, however, have an obligation to deal with BM.

The manufacturer is obviously EBMM. Neither Gareth or BM have contracts with EBMM. EBMM are not obliged to deal directly with either. Their contract is with S&T.

Had I experienced a situation like the one described in this thread, I would certainly be contacting EBMM's international department to try to resolve it.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1319634020' post='1416656']

At least 2 of you did then. :)
I thought it was a mistimed shot at Sterling. I'm not say he doesn't deserve it but I found it irrelevant to the thread as the issue appears to lie with S&T and/or BM and not EBMM. I also found it a bit hypocritical since Fran has already been quoted in this thread as hailing Sterling "the new Leo" on the EBMM forum last year (I didn't know about the banning though.... and I certainly don't get all these matrix references). I wonder if Gareth saw the funny side seeing a message practically rubbing his nose in the fact (or not) that Sterling was pissing it up on his money? I'm sure the intent was good but it didn't come over well. :)
[/quote]

Yes he did say that about sterling, I do remember once saying how much I loved my squire and would never need another bass.... If I still felt the same I would have a very nice bank balance.

I am a proud member of ebmm forum and pretty sure I saw you there too, but one thing that is never brought up here is Fran spent most of his time there fighting with bp because he is not a sheep and diddnt just shut up and agree. He stood up to him and he stood up for this forum more than once. He diddnt get banned because he said one thing wrong it was because he said 100 things wrong. Yes he is my friend but my first time here I nearly got banned for standing up for sterling !

Fran is the kind of guy who speaks his mind, that to me is so refreshing. He is also a bloody good player who has forgotten more about bass than most of us will ever bother to learn.
Sorry for the hijack Gareth, sick of the cheap shots

Again hope your story ends well and ends soon :-)

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1319639747' post='1416760']
Refund issued, dealing with Nick (extremely helpful) at S&T. Waiting for the money to hit the bank, then GAK more than likely will see some of it.

Never paying in full again unless it's ready to ship.

Nick is overseeing future orders and personally keeping me in the loop.
[/quote]
Good result, but were you offered any recompense or at least given an explanation.

[quote name='swanbrook' timestamp='1319639908' post='1416766']
Yes he did say that about sterling, I do remember once saying how much I loved my squire and would never need another bass.... If I still felt the same I would have a very nice bank balance.

I am a proud member of ebmm forum and pretty sure I saw you there too, but one thing that is never brought up here is Fran spent most of his time there fighting with bp because he is not a sheep and diddnt just shut up and agree. He stood up to him and he stood up for this forum more than once. He diddnt get banned because he said one thing wrong it was because he said 100 things wrong. Yes he is my friend but my first time here I nearly got banned for standing up for sterling !

Fran is the kind of guy who speaks his mind, that to me is so refreshing. He is also a bloody good player who has forgotten more about bass than most of us will ever bother to learn.
Sorry for the hijack Gareth, sick of the cheap shots

Again hope your story ends well and ends soon :-)
[/quote]
Okaaay now you've got that out of your system ie accusing me of taking "cheap shots" maybe you could go back a re-read what I wrote.... a little less defensively. :)

Liking Squires then finding something better doesn't make you a hypocrite. However, if you went about telling everyone that Squiers are gods gift in every thread you are involved in and recommended people spend money on them then suddenly changed your mind and told people that they are useless, that would. Furthermore it would go to diluting any subsequent opinions on the subject you had as mere faddishness.

Yes, I am a member of EBMM. I think I've posted on there less than 10-20 times and I doubt I've posted there once in the last 2 years, as I soon realised that EBMM is a site visited by people only interested in aesthetics and "[i]oh look at my new bass[/i]" and other such mutual onanism, whereas my interests are in more the technical aspect of basses and basses as tools for creating music rather than basses as chattels. You can also find me on most other bass related forums too if you look. :o

Oh and I've forgotten more about bass than [b]I've[/b] ever learned.... so what? :)

Glad it's all sorted Gareth.

Someone better call GAK and tell them to dust off the "good ones". :)

[quote=Oushined]

Okaaay now you've got that out of your system ie accusing me of taking "cheap shots"
[/quote]

I don't think he was accusing you, he is barely pointing out that there are 2 sides to every coin. I.e. me being the illusive coin lol

Let's all cheer for Gareth who finally got the problem sorted with S&T / BM etc etc... drinks are on me.

I think at some point, closing this thread might be wise. I have (hopefully) the refund due in my account any day now.

I will then re-gather my thoughts, and start again, albeit with a lot of caution. Small deposits, lots of confirmation receipts, and emails to S&T to make sure they know my orders are coming.

Thanks all. What a hectic and stressful 3 weeks.

BTW, I am actually happy with the outcome on the EBMM Forum. I didnt want it to turn into such a big thread on here, and I didnt want to push it onto their forum in case it seemed like I was blaming EBMM. I am 100% certain they didnt make this bass as it is.

They will make it right, no matter what. Hopefully soon I will have my new bass (es) albeit through GAK more than likely.

Personally I think you're being too forgiving, Gareth. I'd be pushing for answers.

If what you say is true (and I have no reason to doubt it is), you've been mucked around. S&T have a lot of explaining to do.

Yes, your contract is with the retailer, but if you get no joy you have every right to take it along the chain to EBMM. Legally they don't have to deal with you, but in the interests of maintaining good customer relations they should be bending S&T's ear trying to find out what happened, and put a stop to it if they've been doing something they shouldn't.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1319705384' post='1417368']

Ohh any link. It's always good for a laugh.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-basses/51297-ordering-new-bass-uk.html"]http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-basses/51297-ordering-new-bass-uk.html[/url]

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1319706963' post='1417397']

[url="http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-basses/51297-ordering-new-bass-uk.html"]http://www.ernieball...ew-bass-uk.html[/url]
[/quote]
Very interesting read. And very sensible replies from the residents too I think.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1319704781' post='1417359']
...but in the interests of maintaining good customer relations they should be bending S&T's ear trying to find out what happened, and put a stop to it if they've been doing something they shouldn't.
[/quote]

I appears that this is being done.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1319707850' post='1417412']

Aww that was quite subdued for a EBMM thread :) :o

I can't help but think there are a few comments directed at a BCer though . I wonder who it is :) :) :o :lol: B)
[/quote]

Subdued..??? is it..?

Jeez...I think some might have a few issues...and I only read half a page

Thanks guys, and yep, Im happy that Sterling Ball is aware of the issue, and as mentioned above, on the EBMM forum, he is now looking into it.

Yes, completely agree also re: refund. I'm not doing a thing until that hits my account, which should be any day now, (2-3 days processing).

I am hoping there is some resolve and explanation in a few weeks. Strings & Things are now in touch with me via email, which I appreciate. WOT - completely agree with you on that.

It would happen to me wouldn't it, haha! Now I know that things aren't always so simple when it comes to buying new, and in fact, second hand can be a good option.

In the near future, I will be using GAK and Bass Direct for future business, Its quite exciting having the prospect of a all this cash coming back and being able to start from fresh. Im looking forward to putting this all behind me.

The thing is, as much as Im a fussy buyer, when you are spending £1400+, I think you have a right to be. Because I class myself as having a keen eye for attention to detail, I spot things almost instantaneously, then I investigate, hence finding the wrong spec on the box and with the serial records at EBMM; I don't mess about!

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1319706963' post='1417397']

[url="http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-basses/51297-ordering-new-bass-uk.html"]http://www.ernieball...ew-bass-uk.html[/url]
[/quote]

Interesting read, and good to see "Il Capo" taking an interest.
As much as Sterling's posts sometimes really make me roll my eyes (I confess to have visited the EBMM forum on occasion :) ) he seems to have clear ideas about what's right or wrong and he seems to do as he says. Nice to see a company proud of their products, and not just of their bank balance.