Why become a member? ×

Simple Bass lines request.

Flanker

I was unfortunate enough to have a stroke just over five months ago and unfortunately my right hand is never likely to recover to its former 'glory' . I can grip but cannot release , but my wrist is slowly showing signs of life !

This morning i once again tried frustratingly to play the bass and i think with some help and a bit of lateral thinking I will be able to ( after a few months of practse) be able to play along to simple tunes!!!
I can just grip a plectrum and if i can devise some way of holding the other fingers out of the way we'll be in business!

Can you recommend some one note or basically really simple bass lines to practise to? (Bearing in mind I 'm 51 and while i like metal etc keep in mind slow is probably better!!!)

While I'm here i want to mention my friend Joe Philpotts (Fingerz) who has been very kind and who's bass playing ability just blows me away.

Glad to hear you're in the mend, Flanker!

I quite like the old rock, and some of the AC/DC and ZZ Top lines look very straightforward - something like Thunderstruck has very little fretting hand action, but a nice beat which might be good to get to grips with - and it's a totally boss song, of course! :)

I on the other hand dont play with a pick, so cant offer any useful advice other than maybe start off with a lighter gauge pick? That would probably take less tension to strum with. The reason i posted here though..... Good to hear your getting better mate, and glad to see you still have an appetite for the sonic lows! Could maybe do a video blog/diary kinda thing once a month to show how progress goes? Obviously if this is a little more effort than you want to do, no worries, but im sure there'd be a good few people interested in seeing you playing again! :)

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1317299691' post='1389199']
I on the other hand dont play with a pick, so cant offer any useful advice other than maybe start off with a lighter gauge pick?
That would probably take less tension to strum with.
[/quote]

A very good point! I use a Herco Gold Nylon Flex 50 which is flexible but not too floppy to dig in with... so to speak.
I'll send you one to try if you want to PM me an address. :)

I seem to recall the guy from The Hamsters playing with a ring-style pick (basically a pick moulded to a plastic thumb-ring) because of too many gigs. It meant he didn't have to grip a plectrum or worry about dropping it. Good luck with the rehabilitation mate, hope you're up and running soon! :)

A friend of mine had an accident a few years ago and is now paralysed from the neck down.

He can move his arms to an extent and wants to be able to eventually play the guitar (he used to be a drummer) he has something on his right hand that looks like a plastic knuckle duster that keeps his fingers straight until he gets more movement in them. That would probably help to keep your other fingers out of the way.

I've had a search around but can't find them for sale but I'm sure your local hospital will know how to get a hold of one, and daresay they could probably give you one

Thanks for the good wishes , some really good ideas so far.

As for videoing the results, i dont think now would be a good time to start as I can barely play a note! .....but as soon as i feel i have anything useful it would be a good idea. Making videos of my recovery has been very useful over time because it seems veryyyyy slow bit by bit but seen over time you really see the the difference.

Thanks kindly for the offer but it seems a load of hassle to post a plectrum,I assume i can get them online somewhere?

[quote name='Flanker' timestamp='1317306613' post='1389306']
I assume I can get them online somewhere?
[/quote]

Yep.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-light-gauge-Gold-HERCO-Flex50-Acoustic-Electric-Pick-/130434340315?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1e5e7e15db#ht_524wt_906"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-light-gauge-Gold-HERCO-Flex50-Acoustic-Electric-Pick-/130434340315?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1e5e7e15db#ht_524wt_906[/url]

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1317299317' post='1389188']
Glad to hear you're in the mend, Flanker!

I quite like the old rock, and some of the AC/DC and ZZ Top lines look very straightforward - something like Thunderstruck has very little fretting hand action, but a nice beat which might be good to get to grips with - and it's a totally boss song, of course! :)
[/quote]

I'd agree with this......AC/DC

[quote name='Flanker' timestamp='1317306613' post='1389306']
Making videos of my recovery has been very useful over time because it seems veryyyyy slow bit by bit but seen over time you really see the the difference.
[/quote]

Yeh, ive had friends who have found making videos of their rehab useful because:

1) It gives you the motivation to keep trying to improve
2) Because it can be a slow process, im sure there are days when you'll feel like your not improving, one look at past videos and youll see how far you've come. Then hopefully motivate you to keep on going again!
Dont have to make them public though of course :)

I agree a thumb pick is the possible answer, i previously played acoustic an tried using thumb picks but could'nt get on with them, if you PM me i will send you them, they are various sizes and thickness' or if too thick just sand them down. They are sitting in a drawer unused so they would be for free and they may help. Cheers. Paul.