Why become a member? ×

Bass Gallery- Very Dissapointed

Billy Apple

[quote name='redstriper' post='1364479' date='Sep 6 2011, 07:26 PM']I had a very similar experience to the OP.
The shop is great and I had a wad in my pocket, but no way was I giving any of it to that moody grump.[/quote]
I had exactly the same thought the last time I went in there. Wouldn't even buy a set of strings from there now.

[quote name='thegallery' post='1364746' date='Sep 6 2011, 10:41 PM']Blimey not doing well here, but in our defence if you look at point 3 in out T&C it does say deposits are non refundable.
[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/tandc.cfm"]http://www.thebassgallery.com/tandc.cfm[/url][/quote]

Seeing as all the discussions were carried out by email a reference to the T&C when I offered a deposit, which was 16% of the value of the cab, would have been helpful.

I can sort of understand deposits being non-refundable in cases where the customer just changes their mind about a purchase, but in this case there would seem to be a product specification issue.

Was it ever discovered why the cab in question was far heavier than the one that you already had?

[quote name='thegallery' post='1364706' date='Sep 6 2011, 10:05 PM']Hi people

I take on board all the comments, and it's true I can come across as a tad surly from time to time, and it is inexcusable I agree There are a lot of time wasters and people who come to try gear, and then go and buy it cheaper on line. I do get a lot of people in like yourself billy, who say I've just come in for a look round, which is all well and fine, it's not a case of being deliberately unhelpful but if you had said, I've come to try the Wal i'm interested, then of course It's no problem at all. The bass does belong to a customer, and i did assure them that i would keep people trying it out to a minimum. To other people who have had a bad experience, all i can do is apologise, we are a small, busy operation and it's sometimes not easy to give people the time they deserve.

alex[/quote]

Hi Alex,

Thanks for taking the time to post and for breaking cover. Yes, when I first came into the shop I said I was looking around, but the truth is I was looking for the Wal, and I like to keep my business to myself until I need to show my hand, so to speak. I waited for you to be free from dealing with all other people before I approached you, and actually waited for you to finish your calculating. I'm quite shy in these type of situations, a little like the post Clarky added. I have no idea who the Bass belongs too, but it's not an unreasonable assumption to believe it belongs to the Bass Gallery, and that you want to sell it. But, your opening gambit was very negative and made me feel like I was some kind of fraud. I'm sorry that you have people who come into your shop who waste your time, but I cannot be held accountable for the actions of others, and I feel like the cat who got kicked. But what surprised me was after you told me how expensive it was etc etc, you disappeared! I sat for a couple of minutes, stood for a little while, and then left. Had I offended you in any way, because I'm at a loss to understand? What I would have liked you to have done was to stay around and point out all the bits and bobs that I might not know myself. I thought at least you might have stayed around just to make sure I didn't scratch it of something. I'm just the same as anybody else, Alex, we all want to feel special in our buying experiences. There is a clear reason you have put a pic of yourself sitting on a Speed Triple on your site, because you look and feel great on it. Believe me, I know bikes, and know that feeling. I just wanted to feel the same way when you handed me that Wal.

Anyway, no bones broken and water under the bridge.

By the way, I hung the Wal back up very carefully, I hope this was evident when you returned

Best Wishes

[quote name='billyapple' post='1364769' date='Sep 6 2011, 10:57 PM']Hi Alex,

Thanks for taking the time to post and for breaking cover. Yes, when I first came into the shop I said I was looking around, but the truth is I was looking for the Wal, and I like to keep my business to myself until I need to show my hand, so to speak. I waited for you to be free from dealing with all other people before I approached you, and actually waited for you to finish your calculating. I'm quite shy in these type of situations, a little like the post Clarky added. I have no idea who the Bass belongs too, but it's not an unreasonable assumption to believe it belongs to the Bass Gallery, and that you want to sell it. But, your opening gambit was very negative and made me feel like I was some kind of fraud. I'm sorry that you have people who come into your shop who waste your time, but I cannot be held accountable for the actions of others, and I feel like the cat who got kicked. But what surprised me was after you told me how expensive it was etc etc, you disappeared! I sat for a couple of minutes, stood for a little while, and then left. Had I offended you in any way, because I'm at a loss to understand? What I would have liked you to have done was to stay around and point out all the bits and bobs that I might not know myself. I thought at least you might have stayed around just to make sure I didn't scratch it of something. I'm just the same as anybody else, Alex, we all want to feel special in our buying experiences. There is a clear reason you have put a pic of yourself sitting on a Speed Triple on your site, because you look and feel great on it. Believe me, I know bikes, and know that feeling. I just wanted to feel the same way when you handed me that Wal.

Anyway, no bones broken and water under the bridge.

By the way, I hung the Wal back up very carefully, I hope this was evident when you returned

Best Wishes[/quote]

Hi

I know we are all different, and i can only apologise again for the way you were treated by myself, I had so much to do, and i really thought that you were just in browsing as many people do. If you are ever around again, pop in and I will apologise in person. i did notice the Wal, well hung up

alex

[quote name='JTUK' post='1364729' date='Sep 6 2011, 10:24 PM']If you can't do this advance call, then your intentions aren't that determined...surely..?[/quote]

No, it's just the way I am, I work very long days, and often weekends. I had unplanned free-time from work, and was in London, so I just went over. Chances are, if I'd called any-other time, work would have changed things for me, so I'd end up not turning up and I dont like breaking appointments. I buy most stuff this way, look at the website first, and turn up if possible. If the Wal was not available, it would have still been an afternoon off work :)

I appreciate Alex coming on here to answer any criticisms but whenever I have visited the shop I have never been made to feel welcome and I struggle to really recommend the place. I know it's a small business and they probably do get a lot of window shoppers but if you are in a shop like that where people travel considerable distances to visit you need to at least smile - how hard is it to say "sorry, we're really busy at the moment, I'll be with you in a minute"?

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

Hi Alex

I really liked your comment. I have not visited your shop as yet but intend to before the year is out.

Is it best to ring, even if it is for a general browse?

I would be looking at amps / cabs etc and would bring my own bass.

I hope that the positive comments can out shine the negative and I am looking forward to visiting!

Blademan

I take on board all the comments, and it's true I can come across as a tad surly from time to time, and it is inexcusable I agree There are a lot of time wasters and people who come to try gear, and then go and buy it cheaper on line. I do get a lot of people in like yourself billy, who say I've just come in for a look round, which is all well and fine, it's not a case of being deliberately unhelpful but if you had said, I've come to try the Wal i'm interested, then of course It's no problem at all. The bass does belong to a customer, and i did assure them that i would keep people trying it out to a minimum. To other people who have had a bad experience, all i can do is apologise, we are a small, busy operation and it's sometimes not easy to give people the time they deserve.

alex[/quote]

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1364768' date='Sep 6 2011, 10:56 PM']I can sort of understand deposits being non-refundable in cases where the customer just changes their mind about a purchase, but in this case there would seem to be a product specification issue.

Was it ever discovered why the cab in question was far heavier than the one that you already had?[/quote]

I've been unable to get to the bottom of this. I'd always though mine was a UL212 until I got the other one at home and put them both on the scales. It was only then that I examnied the plate on the back. I can only surmise that my, T212-UL must be a predecessor to the UL212. I emailed Epifani to try and get some info but they were moving factories and the guy that responded just tried to persuade me to get a new DIST cabinet. Not what I'd call helpful. I tried posting on TB but got no reponse so I've no idea of the history.

It just sounds great and is very easy to move and I'd love another iif I could find one. At 5'6" and 65 years old 31.4Kg is just too much to manage, however the 22.1Kg is just fine. It's quite a significant difference for an identical sized box.

Went over to the Gallery on a recent trip to London. Unfortunately I had the same experience as the OP & I purposely didn't go near anything more expensive than a Squier. I nearly pulled the trigger on some mail order stuff in the past & I'm not sure I would now after my experience.

If there are loads of timewasters through then it might be worth considering becoming a 100% appointment only store - it nearly is anyway with the shutters down & buzzer access...

Cheers,

B.

Hi all, wanted to add to this thread. I have had an extremely positive experience at The Bass Gallery when ever I have visited and when ever I have phoned up for advice. They have all, always been more than helpful and friendly and professional. I have dealt with them and had amazing basses built by them, and have recommended all my bass students to them.
Cheers Jon Caulfield

Edited by joncaulfield72

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1364791' date='Sep 6 2011, 11:21 PM']Hi Alex

I really liked your comment. I have not visited your shop as yet but intend to before the year is out.

Is it best to ring, even if it is for a general browse?

I would be looking at amps / cabs etc and would bring my own bass.

I hope that the positive comments can out shine the negative and I am looking forward to visiting!

Blademan[/quote]

Hi Blademan

Just pop by and have a look by all means, I will try and not be grumpy, no promises mind you :)

As i say i have taken on board what people have said, and there will be no more issues in future

Alex

A positive comment on the Gallery, my self and a fellow bass playing mate visited the gallery for the first time about 5 months ago and possibly had the best experience I've ever had at any music shop. Martin was very polite and helpful (even though we both said we were not buying on the day, but I will be making a purchase in the near future) and even let us try out an Alembic and the Wal and a few of his Sei's! I'd much rather travel to London than go to any of the Cardiff music shops and receive possibly the worst customer service I have ever received in my life *Gamlins*. I experienced first hand at what Alex is mentioning about tire kickers. Whilst I was there, some guy just walked in and started pulling basses off the walls and just having a pluck and putting them back on and knocking them which was horrible and awkward to watch! But Martin handled it in a polite manner :)

Interesting thread. Good that Alex is involved.

However, OBBM should have received all of his money back. It wasn't a special order, and to honest, I don't know any modern stores that try to pull the restock/keeping deposit situation.

The Gallery does offer a lot of equipment but I've never been unfortunately.

I did email about an amp, and was told a new unit (non display) would be £100 more...despite the fact the first price was fairly similar to other stores. I am still interested but £100 extra is a lot!

Cheers

alex[/quote]

What a response. This is first rate customer care, and I will definitely be back in!

I didn't so much have a bad experience myself, just a little disappointing. I asked to be put through a different amp when trying out something, and then was put through another very similar amp of the same brand, just at the other end of the shop. Not a big gripe but it really didn't give me the right idea!

I really would like it if you guys had a payment system of installments. I'm a full time student and can only manage part time, minimum wage work to supplement my income, meaning disposable income is slow to roll in. I'm London based and tried a Tanglewater in your shop, but I would never be able to afford a new one in one go (I would just spend the money on something cheaper on the For Sale forum on here on ebay if I tried saving up). I've resolved to buy one in the coming months if I can, but the only place that seem to do such a payment system with a competitive price for the bass is bassdirect, who at present, it seems I will probably have to go through, even though I'd rather buy from you as I tried it (among other basses) in your store.

I appreciate most of your customers are far more liquid with their funds than I am, but it really would go a long way to persuading me to buy from you guys and not anyone else.

Dan

[quote name='billyapple' post='1364680' date='Sep 6 2011, 09:45 PM']Nice post, and taken on board. The only thing is, it would not cross my mind to phone a shop prior to calling. I've read a few threads about the Bass Gallery, and none (to the best of my knowledge) mentioned that it's best to phone first, and their site does not say by appointment only. My work situation means I travel around a lot, I found myself free, so got over there on the off-chance. I take the point about busy Saturdays and younger guys (which I was once), but I'm not an emo, and it was a quiet rainy old Tuesday. Anyway, lets not over egg the pudding here, I obviously got this guy on an off day, but it's a shame as first impressions last, as they say.[/quote]

It wouldnt cross my mind to ring before i went there either. Is it a shop or a museum (shutters in the daytime ?) Anyway, i would like to offer a simple solution to the [i]selling an expensive bass for a customer on comision, [/i]problem.

If a bass is being sold on comission and instructions from the owner are [i]'only serious customers to try this bass' [/i]then would it not be better for both shop and customer, to simply print this on a bit of card on a string and hang it on the bass. Then its there clearly marked and nobody would be left wondering if they'd been given the brush off because they havent arrived in a Bentley with a Platinum credit card.

Edited by daz

Listen guys you have ALL got it wrong.

This is how the conversation should go for top class service at the bass gallery:

-You: Afternoon (lets face it musicians don't do mornings), how are the Sei's coming along, I've been seeing some really nice builds on Basschat
-Gallery: (Silently: Aha thy're on basschat and they like the Sei's lets give 'em GAS) Aloud: Ah thanks, how many basses would you like to try? *Rubs hands together with a grin

Simple really when you think about it :)

P.S. Don't tell them if your name is TIM!!! and don't run around shouting SVT!!!!
P.P.S. Fumps if you're reading, pretending you're a fire engine may get you an extra discount but be careful not to run into any basses and don't start a fire for the sake of the bit :)

Off topic a bit but maybe shops should invest in a few of these strectchy guitar/bass body covers (Axe Jackets??) - that way, it allows the potential purchaser to handle the bass and provide the shop with a little more confidence?

Having worked in Music Retail for a year or so, i understand both sides of this situation - the same people came in week in week out trying all different guitars, asking all different questions about 'Could we order a Trini Lopez Gibson in a custom colour...etc..etc) - most never bought so much as a pick...BUT.....a couple of occasions when i thought 'here we go again', i was proved very wrong and the customers made significant purchases (which made the boss very happy).

One thing i did notice, it only takes 10 different people to try and guitar/bass and the strings are shot (worse for guitar) - duff strings do not show intruments off to their best, so this then costs the retailer a set of strings which reduces profit on said instrument.

I fully support the argument that people need to try the instrument to know if they are interested in said instrument, but this is unfortunately ruined by the try-out brigade who just try out the 'Alembic' just to say that they've played an 'Alembic'.

This thread concentrates on the Bass Gallery, but i think it covers all music shops, where you will always find good and bad experiences - based on the attitude of the customer as well as the shop staff.

Good for Alex coming on and responding - more power to him.

Just my opinion of course

Graeme

I'm afraid the problem is if you can't try, why bother with the store? You may as well go online and play the lottery with a new one. If its not right, you have the 7 day return policy. If the bass appears to have a manufacturing fault, you can send it back and it should not cost you a penny. Why? Because it isn't your fault. It's the manufacturer's fault (normally) so they should help the store with any costs, NOT the customer.

The thing is, this is getting more and more strict in favour of the customer, and I agree. If it works for Amazon on a £9.99 DVD, then it works for a new bass, without a doubt.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='fender73' post='1364937' date='Sep 7 2011, 08:42 AM'][b]Off topic a bit but maybe shops should invest in a few of these strectchy guitar/bass body covers (Axe Jackets??) - that way, it allows the potential purchaser to handle the bass and provide the shop with a little more confidence? [/b]

Having worked in Music Retail for a year or so, i understand both sides of this situation - the same people came in week in week out trying all different guitars, asking all different questions about 'Could we order a Trini Lopez Gibson in a custom colour...etc..etc) - most never bought so much as a pick...BUT.....a couple of occasions when i thought 'here we go again', i was proved very wrong and the customers made significant purchases (which made the boss very happy).

One thing i did notice, it only takes 10 different people to try and guitar/bass and the strings are shot (worse for guitar) - duff strings do not show intruments off to their best, so this then costs the retailer a set of strings which reduces profit on said instrument.

I fully support the argument that people need to try the instrument to know if they are interested in said instrument, but this is unfortunately ruined by the try-out brigade who just try out the 'Alembic' just to say that they've played an 'Alembic'.

This thread concentrates on the Bass Gallery, but i think it covers all music shops, where you will always find good and bad experiences - based on the attitude of the customer as well as the shop staff.

Good for Alex coming on and responding - more power to him.

Just my opinion of course

Graeme[/quote]

That's a very good idea.

On the subject of shops selling customers' instruments on commission, I have had a couple of instances whereby the owner has brought in a pristine guitar or bass and has stressed that it must be totally unmarked in case he or she should want it back. This is unreasonable. People will need to try the instrument at some point before they buy it.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1364966' date='Sep 7 2011, 09:30 AM']On the subject of shops selling customers' instruments on commission, I have had a couple of instances whereby the owner has brought in a pristine guitar or bass and has stressed that it must be totally unmarked in case he or she should want it back. This is unreasonable. People will need to try the instrument at some point before they buy it.[/quote]

You're spot on.

Regardless of any experiences, good or bad, that people have had at the Gallery, I think it's pretty classy of Alex to come on here and give his opinion. It should hopefully show that they do care about business and understand the importance of word-of-mouth in promotion of sales of a niche market.

Mistakes happen and to me, good customer service is not necessarily about getting it right first time, but taking accountability when things go wrong.

[quote name='geilerbass' post='1364995' date='Sep 7 2011, 09:56 AM']Regardless of any experiences, good or bad, that people have had at the Gallery, I think it's pretty classy of Alex to come on here and give his opinion. It should hopefully show that they do care about business and understand the importance of word-of-mouth in promotion of sales of a niche market.

Mistakes happen and to me, good customer service is not necessarily about getting it right first time, but taking accountability when things go wrong.[/quote]

again, spot on in my book.

I went in a few months back, I told Alex that I wasn't buying I was just getting an idea of what I wanted next and he was happy for me to do so, so next time I want something it'll be my first stop.

We all have sh*t days at work but airing them in public isn't fair unless someone has deliberately screwed you over.

Great to see the shop and Alex in particular putting their hands up, well done that man. FWIW I've never had anything but great service (and good deals) from The Gallery and Alex, even when I've just popped in for a browse. Fortunately I've always seemed to managed to have been there when it's fairly quiet and as a result, after having a noodle on whatever looks tempting, have often ended up in long chats with any one of the staff, and on one occasion Sheldon Dingwall. Even with GG now opened not far from me in Epsom The Gallery will always be my first port of call for things low end related.