Why become a member? ×

Bass Gallery- Very Dissapointed

Billy Apple

Hi All,

I had some time on my hands up in London today, so thought I'd go out my way to visit the Bass Gallery in Camden Town. All I hear on BC is good things about this store, so was looking forward to being treated as a like-minded enthusiast instead of a dumb hindrance.

Upon arrival it is apparent that the place is stuffed full of quality gear, both high and low end, and yes, it's in Camden so space is very tight. There were two other punters in, one trying a brand spanker Fender Jazz, the other droning on about DJ Shadow like he was the next big thing. The BG guy did not seem to know who he was, and after all, 'Endtroducing' was only realesed in '96 (sorry, being a bit of a bitch here).

Anyway, after a while these other two Gents left and I was on my own with a man who kept his back to me while I perused the wood. At this point I must point out that there was only one real reason that I went there, and that was to try the Wal Custom 2 Mk 1, as I'd seen it on there site, and at the mo, I've got everything else I need. So, I asked the feller if It would be OK if I tried the Wal... and this was his reply... 'No, I'm sorry we only allow people who are really interested in buying a Wal try a Wal'

I was flabbergasted. I explained to him that I didn't know of any other way to know if I was interested in a bass, than by trying a bass. He then questioned me as to whether I knew the Wal cost £3.5k? Of which of course I know, but it is hardly the point. I always believe that If you know in your heart that you want something, then the price becomes immaterial. My collection of Harley Davidsons is testament to that.

Then in a most weasely manner, He says that it is not their bass, but they were selling on behalf of someone else, and that they did not want any damage to come to it. At this point I was looking behind me to see who he was talking too. Either they are selling this bass or not, and if so any prospective buyer should have a road test, otherwise I'll take my chances on frigging eBay. After all, I'm assuming they are making a cut, so what is their problem?

Anyway, he unhooked her and let me plug her in. But no help or advise as to the circuits was forthcoming, he just turns his back and goes. He may as well have handed me a turd. After a while of plunking I noticed he had disappeared all together. I sat for a bit, then hung the Wal back and exited a completely empty shop.

I was wondering if it was my appearance, short hair, jeans, jacket. Or maybe my age, at 44 maybe I'm on the young side for their prices. I dunno, it beats me, but I could've bought the 4 Wals they have hanging up, and still have change for a Fodera. Anyway, just wanted to vent my spleen. I'd hate to be a young talent turning up there, they probably wouldn't open the door. I hope that the people from the Bass Gallery read this, and I hope it sticks in there throat that they missed out on a £3.5k sale.

I shall not be returning

Mmm. Did he have one of them daft bass clef tats on his hand? If so, that's Alex. The other guy is John who is the workshop guy along with Martin, I know it wasn't Martin who dealt with you.

John and Alex haven't got the greatest of social skills, especially on the phone, but they are decent chaps. I can't really imagine either of them treating you like that, the first time I went in they let me try loads of gear, and the last time I was there it was the same.

I don't know if you gave some sort of impression to them that made whoever it was behave like that. I have met some people on forums who jabber like a good un online but look like hell in real life and can't seem to get a sentence going :) EDIT: I don't mean I'm applying that extreme to you of course, billyapple.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1364379' date='Sep 6 2011, 06:22 PM']The richest person I know is also the scruffiest too, he also likes instruments. What's that saying about books and covers? :)[/quote]
I'm not talking about me mate, I can usually get the measure of someone as they walk to the door, I mean them at the Gallery that the OP might have dealt with.

I popped my P bass in last week for a minor setup and neck tweak. I called them this morning and spoke to Alex who told me it was ready.
After trudging from Ealing to Camden in the rain, It transpired it wasnt ready at all!!
So I wasnt happy.
Martin however, dropped what he was doing and set to work straight away on it while I had a pint across the road, and it was done within the hour!.
So I was not too bothered in the end.

That's very disappointing to hear indeed. If it was Alex, while I would never describe him as the cheeriest of individuals, he's certainly never been anything less than extremely helpful and communicative.

Maybe you caught him on a bad day - no excuse whatsoever as a retailer, but just seems very out of character.

I've had unhelpful service from that John guy before, but very helpful service from that Martin guy. Now I don't look like I have bags of money and I don't, but will fork out what I can for the right bass. As said in another thread, when I asked if they would do an installments based payment for bass and they said no (only a Tanglewater 5), I realised this was not the place to take my business, when other places will.

[quote name='silddx' post='1364375' date='Sep 6 2011, 06:19 PM']Mmm. Did he have one of them daft bass clef tats on his hand? If so, that's Alex. The other guy is John who is the workshop guy along with Martin, I know it wasn't Martin who dealt with you.

John and Alex haven't got the greatest of social skills, especially on the phone, but they are decent chaps. I can't really imagine either of them treating you like that, the first time I went in they let me try loads of gear, and the last time I was there it was the same.

I don't know if you gave some sort of impression to them that made whoever it was behave like that. I have met some people on forums who jabber like a good un online but look like hell in real life and can't seem to get a sentence going :) EDIT: I don't mean I'm applying that extreme to you of course, billyapple.[/quote]

I take your point about appearance, and we all judge others to a certain degree before we really know people. I also realise that music shops must get a fair amount of 'tyre-kickers', but to this end I always make a point of being polite and not overbearing. The nature of the location and entry into the 'Galley must filter out many time-wasters. I was let in, and all I said was 'Hello, is it OK to have a look around?' right up to asking to have a try on the Wal. I was sober, dressed in a fleece and jeans. I've three years training as an Actor at a premier British Drama School, plus seven years doing the biz, plus one year Teacher training, and much drama teaching experience, so I would hope at a push to be able to string a few sentences together.

My experience surprises me, as fellow BC'ers are largely positive about the BG, and I must admit this is why it was all the more disappointing for me, cos I was really looking forward to going.

Yes, bloke with tattoos.

You know, I could have walked right out the shop with that Wal (and something in my other hand), and they would have been non the wiser. Lucky for them I'm an honest type.

This is the eternal dilemma music shops face. We often get kids wanting to try out expensive Gibsons etc, obviously because they want to know what the fuss is about and can also tell their mates they've tried one out. But does the shop risk a black finish Custom getting marked just to satisfy someone's curiosity?

Then we have a guy that has been coming into our shop twice a week for two years just to have half an hour's practice on a Roland drum kit. Will he buy? Who knows?

But in this case, I would say the shop was wrong to stop you trying that bass.

Interesting to see this as a former shop owner. There was a recent thread on here where several BC'ers stated they would not buy an instrument (at least not without it being sold cheaply as ex-demo) if it had been hanging up in a shop and the shop had the temerity to allow other people to play it. Yes, sounds like you had a bad experience, I was like Pete and always let people try stuff, but it seems either way the shop can't win!

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1364423' date='Sep 6 2011, 07:00 PM']This is the eternal dilemma music shops face. We often get kids wanting to try out expensive Gibsons etc, obviously because they want to know what the fuss is about and can also tell their mates they've tried one out. But does the shop risk a black finish Custom getting marked just to satisfy someone's curiosity?[/quote]

I thought the reason GAK in Brighton is so successful is because kids get to try instruments as they like, then go back & buy years later when they've got a bit older & have the money.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1364423' date='Sep 6 2011, 07:00 PM']This is the eternal dilemma music shops face. We often get kids wanting to try out expensive Gibsons etc, obviously because they want to know what the fuss is about and can also tell their mates they've tried one out. But does the shop risk a black finish Custom getting marked just to satisfy someone's curiosity?

Then we have a guy that has been coming into our shop twice a week for two years just to have half an hour's practice on a Roland drum kit. Will he buy? Who knows?

But in this case, I would say the shop was wrong to stop you trying that bass.[/quote]

I completely agree, no-one wants stock damaged. To this end, I always remove my watch, rings etc, and roll my sleeves up when trying a Bass. I don't even stand in case my belt damages the back. After all, if I buy the guitar, I don't want her marked either. Plus I'm 44 yrs old, I don't think even with my ego I could pass for a teenager!

All the guy had to say was to take extra care, and I would have agreed, but it was all so negative... 'No you can't...etc etc'

[quote name='joe_bass' post='1364447' date='Sep 6 2011, 07:12 PM']I thought the reason GAK in Brighton is so successful is because kids get to try instruments as they like, then go back & buy years later when they've got a bit older & have the money.[/quote]

I totally agree. However, you have to be there to see how disrespectful some kids are with instruments.

What can you do? :)

[quote name='billyapple' post='1364449' date='Sep 6 2011, 07:13 PM']I completely agree, no-one wants stock damaged. To this end, I always remove my watch, rings etc, and roll my sleeves up when trying a Bass. I don't even stand in case my belt damages the back. After all, if I buy the guitar, I don't want her marked either. Plus I'm 44 yrs old, I don't think even with my ego I could pass for a teenager!

All the guy had to say was to take extra care, and I would have agreed, but it was all so negative... 'No you can't...etc etc'[/quote]

Totally agree.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1364423' date='Sep 6 2011, 07:00 PM']This is the eternal dilemma music shops face. We often get kids wanting to try out expensive Gibsons etc, obviously because they want to know what the fuss is about and can also tell their mates they've tried one out. But does the shop risk a black finish Custom getting marked just to satisfy someone's curiosity?

But in this case, I would say the shop was wrong to stop you trying that bass.[/quote]

I can see this...so if it was me travelling a long way to a shop with a view to check something out, I'd have called them, introduced myself and talked over my broad intentions.

At the very least you'd find out the bass was going to be there on that day and would have prepared the ground.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1364466' date='Sep 6 2011, 07:19 PM']My Mrs couldn't believe I was going to buy a bass that had "God knows who playing it" when she was having her first experience of buying.

you have to admit though what other industry would sell something that would have been well used in a shop as New.[/quote]

A brothel?

I've been to The Gallery about 10 times at a guess, always only been Alex in an otherwise empty shop.

First time I was very disappointed by the service, I would have got more info from the cat and felt like I wouldn't bother going back.

Then they had a used bass that was exactly what I was looking for so I went back and Alex couldn't have been more helpful.

Subsequent visits he's been pretty helpful too, maybe you just caught him on a bad day or he really really hates DJ Shadow.

Edited by Fat Rich