Why become a member? ×

Bass Gallery- Very Dissapointed

Billy Apple

Its funny how OP had a bad experience at the Gallery and a lot of people are defending or making excuses for it, yet if the OP had said Bass Cellar everyone would be slagging the sales guy off.
Sorry, no offence to anyone (nor the Gallery and staff, alex has always seemed a bit quiet but very helpful), its just something that struck me after reading just the first page.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='thegallery' post='1364776' date='Sep 6 2011, 11:05 PM']Hi

I know we are all different, and i can only apologise again for the way you were treated by myself, I had so much to do, and i really thought that you were just in browsing as many people do. If you are ever around again, pop in and I will apologise in person. i did notice the Wal, well hung up

alex[/quote]

This is a great post. I'd have no hesitation buying from the Gallery again, I think it's a great place to go.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1365117' date='Sep 7 2011, 11:53 AM']Its funny how OP had a bad experience at the Gallery and a lot of people are defending or making excuses for it, yet if the OP had said Bass Cellar everyone would be slagging the sales guy off.
Sorry, no offence to anyone (nor the Gallery and staff, alex has always seemed a bit quiet but very helpful), its just something that struck me after reading just the first page.[/quote]

But the Bass Cellar have hardly earned the right to be defended, after all I have never heard a good report from anyone who's been there personally. The guys at the Gallery (after some initial hesitancy) were more than happy to help the first time I visited and utterly brilliant the second time I went down.

[quote name='risingson' post='1365131' date='Sep 7 2011, 12:04 PM']But the Bass Cellar have hardly earned the right to be defended, after all I have never heard a good report from anyone who's been there personally. The guys at the Gallery (after some initial hesitancy) were more than happy to help the first time I visited and utterly brilliant the second time I went down.[/quote]

Then you never read any of my old posts, nor spoke to BC customers who were happy ;-)

Every shop ive used has had good and bad staff. My point was that if it was someone at the BC people would say thats why i avoid it, yet because its someone we all know and respect its excusable.

Ive used the Gallery many times so im well aware of their CS etc, i was really just commenting on some of the early posts and comparing them to the same situation and responses in the BC thread, which seems to be full of people going in to the shop just to have a moan on here about the exact thing the OP posted about.

Sorry, im having a rough tiring week, ignore me.

I've had this a fair amount of times with guitars (and not guitars that are mega high end either).

I was at a snooty shop in York (my home town) and asked to try a Jackson Rhoads 5 (a mere £799). I'd been after one for a while, but never seen the ivory model in person.

I was a teen at the time, long hair, patched leather jacket etc, and asked the salesman, also a teen, long hair, little shirt with his name on a badge, if I could try it.

Conversation went something like:
"We only let people who are going to buy the guitar play it."
"Well I don't know how it plays."
"It's an expensive instrument, it plays great."

To be honest, I would have been fine to buy it and know that it was right because I'd tried the same model but different colour before. However, we all know that woods are different and who's to know if this one was a turkey?

I asked for the manager, put my money on the counter and pointed at it and asked him what it was. When he said "A lot of £20 notes *grin*" I responded with something like "Yes, a lot of £20 notes you aren't getting because of this twonk" and pointed out the salesman.

As it happens, I ended up buying an ESP M-II from Evil Bay.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1365139' date='Sep 7 2011, 12:12 PM']Then you never read any of my old posts, nor spoke to BC customers who were happy ;-)

Every shop ive used has had good and bad staff. My point was that if it was someone at the BC people would say thats why i avoid it, yet because its someone we all know and respect its excusable.

Ive used the Gallery many times so im well aware of their CS etc, i was really just commenting on some of the early posts and comparing them to the same situation and responses in the BC thread, which seems to be full of people going in to the shop just to have a moan on here about the exact thing the OP posted about.

Sorry, im having a rough tiring week, ignore me.[/quote]

I think the main point to take away is that Alex has now personally come on this site and apologised to the OP and what's more has stipulated that he'll make sure it doesn't happen again. You've got to say that's pretty decent. It's less about blowing smoke up their arses and more to do with the admission that nobodies perfect, we all make mistakes and have bad days etc. My experience suggests that these incidents are few and far between.

[quote name='risingson' post='1365160' date='Sep 7 2011, 12:25 PM']I think the main point to take away is that Alex has now personally come on this site and apologised to the OP and what's more has stipulated that he'll make sure it doesn't happen again. You've got to say that's pretty decent. It's less about blowing smoke up their arses and more to do with the admission that nobodies perfect, we all make mistakes and have bad days etc. My experience suggests that these incidents are few and far between.[/quote]

Like i said, it wasn't aimed at Alex and my comments were based on the posts before Alex came on here.

I shall go and get some sleep now.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Herbie The Rad Dorklift' post='1365146' date='Sep 7 2011, 12:17 PM']I've had this a fair amount of times with guitars (and not guitars that are mega high end either).

I was at a snooty shop in York (my home town) and asked to try a Jackson Rhoads 5 (a mere £799). I'd been after one for a while, but never seen the ivory model in person.

I was a teen at the time, long hair, patched leather jacket etc, and asked the salesman, also a teen, long hair, little shirt with his name on a badge, if I could try it.

Conversation went something like:
"We only let people who are going to buy the guitar play it."
"Well I don't know how it plays."
"It's an expensive instrument, it plays great."

To be honest, I would have been fine to buy it and know that it was right because I'd tried the same model but different colour before. However, we all know that woods are different and who's to know if this one was a turkey?

I asked for the manager, put my money on the counter and pointed at it and asked him what it was. When he said "A lot of £20 notes *grin*" I responded with something like "Yes, a lot of £20 notes you aren't getting because of this twonk" and pointed out the salesman.

As it happens, I ended up buying an ESP M-II from Evil Bay.[/quote]

I love that.

I think the bottom line here is that in any form of retail you just can't get it right all the time. What I do see a lot more, especially with younger kids, is a lack of respect for the instruments. The number of them that just grab hold of guitars off the wall without asking seems to have increased over the years.

Also, I think it's frustrating for any salesman to give quality time and advice and allow the instruments to be played, only to then be asked to price match another store. It's just that I personally couldn't bring myself to do that, but that's me.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1365227' date='Sep 7 2011, 01:11 PM']I think the bottom line here is that in any form of retail you just can't get it right all the time. What I do see a lot more, especially with younger kids, is a lack of respect for the instruments. The number of them that just grab hold of guitars off the wall without asking seems to have increased over the years.

Also, I think it's frustrating for any salesman to give quality time and advice and allow the instruments to be played, only to then be asked to price match another store. It's just that I personally couldn't bring myself to do that, but that's me.[/quote]

MB1. :)
Its usually price match the internet ,thats even cheekier!

[quote name='dc2009' post='1365339' date='Sep 7 2011, 02:47 PM']Digital Village have about 7 stores?[/quote]

MB1. :)
..."Theres no Digital Village here!, this is a Local shop for Local people theres nothing for you here!"

Edited by MB1

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-xX7iWvzbo&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-xX7iWvzbo...player_embedded[/url]

As someone who worked in music retail for 6 years I can really appreciate how difficult it can be to strike a balance between trusting customers enough to hand them high end guitars and protecting your stock from the (unfortunately) many people who will not treat them with any respect. This is especially difficult with commission sales when the seller wants the guitar to be spotless if it is collected as it hasn't sold. Music shops can be real nutter magnets and you never know if who you are talking to is a genuine customer with cash to hand or a time wasting mental health patient on a day off the ward!

I have had great service from the gallery before and really look forward to a visit every couple of years when I get the itch (and the funds) to buy something new.

Edited by jonno1981

Personally it's one of my favourite places, sad as that may sound. Never had anything less than stellar service. They must be good to put up with me hanging around for hours whenever I go down!

Just to answer something I believe the OP mentioned, Alex always leaves me on my own to try a bass out, but that's what I generally want. If I have questions I'll ask. I personally hate having a salesman stand over me whilst I try something out.

[quote name='4000' post='1365384' date='Sep 7 2011, 03:56 PM']Personally it's one of my favourite places, sad as that may sound. Never had anything less than stellar service. They must be good to put up with me hanging around for hours whenever I go down!

Just to answer something I believe the OP mentioned, Alex always leaves me on my own to try a bass out, but that's what I generally want. If I have questions I'll ask. I personally hate having a salesman stand over me whilst I try something out.[/quote]

Once I've gone through the controls on an amp or bass, I generally always leave the customer to it.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1365414' date='Sep 7 2011, 04:29 PM']Once I've gone through the controls on an amp or bass, I generally always leave the customer to it.[/quote]

"Yeah thanks mate, I know, I know..." (rolls all controls up to 11)

I think the point about expensive basses on commision sale is very valid...as any bass not getting taken very good care would be as well, of course.

I think shops have a very narrow line to tread here..... tyre kicker or buyer, good day or bad day, stressed or chilled etc etc ..
and I doubt they can win if the customer is always right.

If the seller has expressed certain wishes to go with the sale... all the shop can do is try and adhere to it AND try to get the sale.

I am sure anyone in retail will have a horror story or two..
so damned if you do, damned if you don't.

[quote name='jonno1981' post='1365366' date='Sep 7 2011, 03:25 PM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-xX7iWvzbo&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-xX7iWvzbo...player_embedded[/url]

As someone who worked in music retail for 6 years I can really appreciate how difficult it can be to strike a balance between trusting customers enough to hand them high end guitars and protecting your stock from the (unfortunately) many people who will not treat them with any respect. This is especially difficult with commission sales when the seller wants the guitar to be spotless if it is collected as it hasn't sold. Music shops can be real nutter magnets and you never know if who you are talking to is a genuine customer with cash to hand or a time wasting mental health patient on a day off the ward!

I have had great service from the gallery before and really look forward to a visit every couple of years when I get the itch (and the funds) to buy something new.[/quote]

Talking of nutter magnets, a few years ago when our shop was Sound Control, we had a lad and his dad come in for a live bass rig. The lad had a somewhat unusual playing style. He would play a few random notes and then suddenly smack the strings as hard as he could onto the pickup. The amp went into overload and the speaker was screaming for help. I had to get other members of staff in to witness this. The string smacking had absolutely no relevance to what he was playing, but he kept doing it randomly. I kept plugging him into bigger rigs, but he punished every one. I finally plugged him into an Ampeg and 8 x 10" and even that still couldn't handle it. I ended up having to tell his dad that, due to his unusual playing style, we couldn't guarantee anything he bought. His dad shook his head and apologised, as he was now used to this sort of comment.

That's one band I would love to have seen. :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1365432' date='Sep 7 2011, 04:39 PM']:) They usually ignore everything I've said and start slapping mentally.[/quote]

Don't you just hate that?

Somebody should tell shop dwelling guitarists that there are usually clean channels on amps also...