Why become a member? ×

Bass Gallery- Very Dissapointed

Billy Apple

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='1364431' date='Sep 6 2011, 07:05 PM']Interesting to see this as a former shop owner. There was a recent thread on here where several BC'ers stated they would not buy an instrument (at least not without it being sold cheaply as ex-demo) if it had been hanging up in a shop and the shop had the temerity to allow other people to play it. Yes, sounds like you had a bad experience, I was like Pete and always let people try stuff, but it seems either way the shop can't win![/quote]

I can see the point with a brand new guitar, and you wanting it to have the cellophane on the scratch plate etc, but the Wal is second hand, and not pretending to be fresh out the box. I don't know any other way of buying a Bass, but what upset me was the assumption that me trying it would in some way end up damaging it. But, then he knicked off anyway.. Should've carved my initials in the back with my zip!

Alex does have a nice Kingbass mk2 though:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/alexcar66#p/a/u/2/KPmZ3EOpyUk"]http://www.youtube.com/user/alexcar66#p/a/u/2/KPmZ3EOpyUk[/url]#

But this video proves that the classics still sound the best...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/alexcar66#p/u/13/0kegQSmRL6s"]http://www.youtube.com/user/alexcar66#p/u/13/0kegQSmRL6s[/url]

Edited by Chris2112

[quote name='geoffbassist' post='1364497' date='Sep 6 2011, 07:39 PM']My experience of the bass gallery has been fantastic. It's a shame they got it wrong this time.[/quote]

Heard. And it is only fair to point out that my experience has been with one person, and as is clear there are a few more folk there.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1364494' date='Sep 6 2011, 07:35 PM']Alex does have a nice Kingbass mk2 though:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/alexcar66#p/a/u/2/KPmZ3EOpyUk"]http://www.youtube.com/user/alexcar66#p/a/u/2/KPmZ3EOpyUk[/url]#

But this video proves that the classics still sound the best...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/alexcar66#p/u/13/0kegQSmRL6s"]http://www.youtube.com/user/alexcar66#p/u/13/0kegQSmRL6s[/url][/quote]
I've noticed if you compliment him on his tats and vids he cheers up no end :)

[quote name='billyapple' post='1364363' date='Sep 6 2011, 06:11 PM']the other droning on about DJ Shadow like he was the next big thing. The BG guy did not seem to know who he was, and after all, 'Endtroducing' was only realesed in '96 (sorry, being a bit of a bitch here).[/quote]

Perhaps this dude had annoyed him on an already bad day? Also, have never listened to Endtroducing, although I know the name DJ Shadow (21yo student) ...

[quote name='billyapple' post='1364503' date='Sep 6 2011, 07:44 PM']Heard. And it is only fair to point out that my experience has been with one person, and as is clear there are a few more folk there.[/quote]
Martin is an absolute gent. He's done work for me which has been superb, and I recommended a friend go their to get sorted the mess Chandlers made of his 4001. He was knocked out by what Martin had done to it, he was over the moon. It even made me ever so slightly want a Ricky when I played it.

[quote name='silddx' post='1364509' date='Sep 6 2011, 07:49 PM']Martin is an absolute gent. He's done work for me which has been superb, and I recommended a friend go their to get sorted the mess Chandlers made of his 4001. He was knocked out by what Martin had done to it, he was over the moon. It even made me ever so slightly want a Ricky when I played it.[/quote]

Well, that's a coincidence. Do you mean Chandlers in Kew? I was in there last month and they were very helpful and cheery indeed.

I've had nothing but good experiences when I've spoken to both Alex and John and especially Martin when I've gone there. I actually asked the very same question as the OP about trying the Wal a few weeks ago. Alex said they had been asked specifically by the owner of the Wal that they try and reduce the amount of people trying it. Since it was on commision, the guys at the Gallery had to try to accomadate what the seller wanted. Not an easy position for Alex to be in I'm sure as he's the one who has to decide who to let try out the bass.And granted he may not have approached the situation with the greatest amount of tact when speaking to the OP.

In fact, I actually just dropped off a bass for a set-up this evening and in the work shop, Martin was speaking to Dave Swift (the bass player for Jools Holland). John was there as well and both were engrossed in conversation with Mr Swift. John noticed me at the door, invited me in and we chatted about the set-up. I wasn't left standing at the door way waiting for the 'big name' to leave.

Fantastic service for everyone including the man off the street in my experience. I don't think I've ever had such greater customer service from any store, guitar or otherwise than when I've visited the Gallery.

Also, Dave Swift is a massive bugger!

[quote]the other droning on about DJ Shadow like he was the next big thing. The BG guy did not seem to know who he was, and after all, 'Endtroducing' was only realesed in '96 (sorry, being a bit of a bitch here).[/quote]

Amazing! :)

Anyway, that's a pretty shocking. It was only last month that I posted up what a brilliant visit I'd had to the Gallery and how forthcoming John had been about letting me get my hands on some incredibly expensive instruments without knowing about me or my background. He wasn't incredibly chatty or anything, but more than forthcoming, very quick to help out. Furthermore Martin was a great help in sorting out shipment of my amp and a few technical difficulties I had with it a few months after purchase.

The first time I went to the Gallery though, I was greeted (or not greeted actually) by Alex, and if I'm totally honest his social skills left my drummer and I less than impressed, especially considering I'd trekked all the way from Liverpool (3 hours one way £50 return) with 2k to spend on a new amp. He initially seemed reluctant and hostile, although after a while he started to warm to me for some reason or another (I was only 19 at the time, maybe he thought I was a time waster, although quite frankly my age and the amount of money I had on me is neither here nor there). I put it down to him having a bad day, and actually after a while I did end up having a brief chat with him and figured that's the kind of person he was.

I'm not surprised you're not impressed though. I'd hate to think that the Gallery would become one of those places where elitism started to take hold. I'm sure one of the guys from the shop will be along to explain their position on this anytime soon.

Edited by risingson

[quote name='jdizzle' post='1364519' date='Sep 6 2011, 07:56 PM']I've had nothing but good experiences when I've spoken to both Alex and John and especially Martin when I've gone there. I actually asked the very same question as the OP about trying the Wal a few weeks ago. Alex said they had been asked specifically by the owner of the Wal that they try and reduce the amount of people trying it. Since it was on commision, the guys at the Gallery had to try to accomadate what the seller wanted. Not an easy position for Alex to be in I'm sure as he's the one who has to decide who to let try out the bass.And granted he may not have approached the situation with the greatest amount of tact when speaking to the OP.[/quote]

I'm feeling like I've had a bit of bad luck here, and certainly respect all comments. I think we have to take this in context with all other music stores. The service and attitude at most stores down on Denmark St is so negative, it's not worth posting, it's so ingrained. If this place was once the epicentre for the music world, well, those days are long gone. Apart from Wunjo, who are always cheery and eager for you to bang about on anything. I actually find the whole guitar shop experience somewhat intimidating and, as I've said was looking forward to my Bass Gallery visit, purely I have to add on BC'ers endorsements and recommendations. I'm still no further on with the Wal thing, cos the shine kind of wore off it, if you get my drift. But, I can't understand what the seller is expecting if the punters cant touch the goods? Sounds like a bit of a numpty to me. Maybe he just likes his stuff hanging in public to show off?

Anyway, maybe in the non too distant future we can test out 'Virtual' Basses in stores, using Matrix style helmets and glove type things. Safe in the knowledge that we have bought a pristine, untouched and unblemished model. Only to get it home to bang the head on door when you turn around.

I am sorry that you have had a bad experience, I have nothing but good things to say about the Bass Gallery. And I also have some very good reason for why my experience with the Gallery has been always a profitable one.

Let me explain my case:

Just like you I walked into the Bass Gallery one hot day on Aug Friday 13th 2010 having never been in there before in my life. But... I had phoned the Gallery a few days before, asking if they had a Mark Bass Compressore pedal because I wanted to try one before buying it.

Alex said yes we have one, come in anytime, I said to him, I will be probably be free on the 13th, he said fine, looking forward to!

I walked into the store and asked for Alex (never seen him before in my life so I didn't know who he was) He said hi, I am Alex how can I help you, with a smile on his face, I said blah blah phone call, last week, Mark Bass Compressore, try, can I, sure?

He said sure what sort of bass do you want to try it with, something that perhaps you have and feel more at home with? I said yeah why not, have you got a stingray 5, (please note that at that point I had never tried a Dingwall before in my life and up until that day I was a sworn MusicMan devotee, Stingray 5 / Big Al 5 / Bongo 5 / 25th Anniversary 5 the lot.)

So sure enough he takes a Stingray 5 from the stand and hands it to me, I plug it in a small LMII 1x10 Mark Bass combo and proceed to try the pedal with my favourite settings on both Bass and Amp which I was very familiar with. I immediately loved the pedal, I believe it's one of the best compressors I have ever tried, so 20 minutes later I went back up the small steps to the counter are and said to Alex, here's your stingray back mate, thanks, I'll take the pedal. Great he said and as he moved to put the Stingray back he revealed these two very odd basses with wonky frets called Dingwall. (bear with me please this is leading to a very important point) I said to him "oh you've got those funny basses, I've read a lot of good things about them, never tried one before, what are they like?" - He said they're great, very very good, why don't you try one? There is two of them, one is the 100% made Canadian ABZ 5 strings in natural ash and the other a lyme green Combustion Made in China which is £200 cheaper than the other. Ok so I said ok if you don't mind I'd like to start with the more expensive one and then see how the cheaper one compares.

The moment I tried the ABZ my whole world shattered, in so many years of bass playing I had finally reached an instrument which was for me the easiest ever to play and the BEST low B I had ever heard, again it took me all of two minutes to get immediately accustomed to the fanned frets and 20 minutes later I was in love, I didn't even want to try the Combustion because that lyme green colour was never one I could have lived with, but just to understand what the extra £200 gave me, I also decided to tried the Combustion, I soon realized it was worlds apart from the ABZ, I didn't find the same neck feel, the low action and the tonal response of the ABZ so I put it right back and said to Alex... hmm you see that ABZ? Yeah, he said? I want it, - he said ok cool, how you wish to pay, I said wo wo wo slow down... before I agree to pay I want to make 2 phone calls! So I'll get out of the store, make those 2 calls, one to the girlfriend and the other to the other store I knew was the main Dingwall distributor, Bass Direct in Coventry to see what was his going price for an ABZ 5 just to see how I could haggle a deal with Alex...

So I said to him, work out the best price considering I am also buying the MB Compressore and then I'll come back in and we'll bang our heads together, mkay? He said ok...

Off I go out of the shop and call my gf Mandy (r.i.p.) and I tell her about this pukka bass I found, that will make me sell off all my MusicMan ones, I remember her saying oh wow, that good?, really? go for it then. That's brilliant, can't wait to see it. Now I didn't call to get her permission, as we have had different accounts and incomes and both are (or, were R.I.P.) well off enough to account for our own expenditures, but I called her to share the excitement, and because I always involved her in my hobbies :)

Anyway the other phonecall was to Bass Direct to find out what their best price was... ok so he gave me that price and I said to him are you sure, that is the best price, cause I've found one here in London at the bass gallery, he said how much he wants for it? I said err I don't know yet but I am asking you so I can compare and if you are cheaper than him, I'll be coming over to Coventry tomorrow. He said ok so... I can do it for cash for.... £xxxx ok thanks I'll let you know.

I went back inside the store and I said to Alex - well the girlfiriend is over the moon about it, so that is cool and also I have had a chat with Bass Direct and I got a price for the same bass so now it's up to you to perform and give me the best price, he said how much did Mark quote you, if you tell me, I can probably match it. I said to him, well please give me your best price first and if Mark's is better I tell you. He stood there, with a calculator punching in numbers and said..... ok you can have it for... £xxxx I said Alex congratulations, you've got yourself a deal, please wrap her up and here is the cash! Job done. Ok I have not disclosed any prices but Bass Direct was £200 dearer, so I saved myself £200 plus the diesel I would have had to spend to drive the 212 miles round trip up to Coventry or Warkick whichever it was to collect it. All is well what ends well and this is my point, Alex will always try to give you the best deal, which it was not just a one off but it was repeated when I ordered my other Dingwall Super J 5 also on that occasion Alex was once again £150 cheaper than Bass Direct. I did tell Mark at Bass Direct and he said well there you go, I don't know how they (The Bass Gallery) do it, but I couldn't afford to sell it for that price, so yeah, well done, you've got yourself a good deal not once but twice.

In conclusion, it is unfortunate that you've had a bad experience with the Gallery, who knows why, we all have bad days from time to time but I assure you the staff at the Bass Gallery are very pleasant.

I hope you'll give them another chance but if you can give 'em a call before you turn up on them out of the blue or you could be easily taken for just another "tyre kicker" because I believe on a Sat they might get 90% of punters who just go there to bleed the staff ears with an insignificant slap fest and perhaps only 10% of real business clients, put yourself in their shoes they have to run a business at the end of the day to be able to survive. So if you pre-announce an interest by phone you might probably get the time you deserve. I know it shouldn't be like these but shop staff are having to deal with emo' and punks who just go in a store show of picking up loads of basses, do your head in with the crap they play and leave the store having not spent a penny. I would hate to be in that line of business.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1364635' date='Sep 6 2011, 09:13 PM']I am sorry that you have had a bad experience, I have nothing but good things to say about the Bass Gallery..........

..........So if you pre-announce an interest by phone you might probably get the time you deserve. I know it shouldn't be like these but shop staff are having to deal with emo' and punks who just go in a store show of picking up loads of basses, do your head in with the crap they play and leave the store having not spent a penny. I would hate to be in that line of business.[/quote]

Nice post, and taken on board. The only thing is, it would not cross my mind to phone a shop prior to calling. I've read a few threads about the Bass Gallery, and none (to the best of my knowledge) mentioned that it's best to phone first, and their site does not say by appointment only. My work situation means I travel around a lot, I found myself free, so got over there on the off-chance. I take the point about busy Saturdays and younger guys (which I was once), but I'm not an emo, and it was a quiet rainy old Tuesday. Anyway, lets not over egg the pudding here, I obviously got this guy on an off day, but it's a shame as first impressions last, as they say.

I have had mixed experiences at the Gallery but only good ones recently. When I first went a few years back I felt a bit of an interloper and certainly didn't get what I would call a warm welcome. To be fair I felt a bit of a fraud as I was not a good bass player (still am not a good one but at least I can keep time now!) and there was all this fabulous kit there and some very knowledgeable guys, so I had a bit of an inferiority complex. In the last year or so, as I have had more regular dealings with Alex and Martin I have had only good experiences. Alex has been very friendly and helpful in particular and Martin helped me sort out a problem with a Wal neck superbly well. I suspect they have to know people (like in many other lines of business) before 'opening up'.

To the OP, I am sorry you had a rough time but I suspect they may have had a few tyre kickers taking the mickey with the Wals in stock (all around £3.5k bar a newly listed Pro model) and they incorrectly thought you may be another - which clearly was not right and therefore not a smart move business-wise :) If you can forget this one bad experience, i would recommend you go back

Edited by Clarky

Hi people

I take on board all the comments, and it's true I can come across as a tad surly from time to time, and it is inexcusable I agree There are a lot of time wasters and people who come to try gear, and then go and buy it cheaper on line. I do get a lot of people in like yourself billy, who say I've just come in for a look round, which is all well and fine, it's not a case of being deliberately unhelpful but if you had said, I've come to try the Wal i'm interested, then of course It's no problem at all. The bass does belong to a customer, and i did assure them that i would keep people trying it out to a minimum. To other people who have had a bad experience, all i can do is apologise, we are a small, busy operation and it's sometimes not easy to give people the time they deserve.

alex

[quote name='thegallery' post='1364706' date='Sep 6 2011, 10:05 PM']Hi people

I take on board all the comments, and it's true I can come across as a tad surly from time to time, and it is inexcusable I agree There are a lot of time wasters and people who come to try gear, and then go and buy it cheaper on line. I do get a lot of people in like yourself billy, who say I've just come in for a look round, which is all well and fine, it's not a case of being deliberately unhelpful but if you had said, I've come to try the Wal i'm interested, then of course It's no problem at all. The bass does belong to a customer, and i did assure them that i would keep people trying it out to a minimum. To other people who have had a bad experience, all i can do is apologise, we are a small, busy operation and it's sometimes not easy to give people the time they deserve.

alex[/quote]

I've not been in, but I Like that reply. Honesty goes a long way. Well said that man.

I always find them straight...and always very busy so I'd put this down to a bad day. I like the 3 man team thing which can be very personal, but also at the same time, I guess they can get very ragged with all sorts of demands.
It is the balance of a small shop with diverse dealings with all things bass and I'd bet the whole thing can get pretty stressful at times.

But I would also make it easy on myself and call ahead and chat about any intentions....this makes things so much easier, IMO.
If I was looking for a £3.5k bass..or any bass come to that, then if I have to travel any distance, I'd call them to make sure it was ging to be still there and that I could play it.
It is so easy for it to be out of service..and in the workshop or some such..and I've wasted my time etc etc ...

If you can't do this advance call, then your intentions aren't that determined...surely..?

I think both parties might like to take a step back and re-run what they may have been able to do a tad better. These mishaps happen..its called life, IMO..!!
I wouldn't take it personally. It is still the best Bass shop around, by miles, IMO..!!

I've sat on this for 5 months however I must confess that I had a slightly unpleasant experience with the Gallery earlier this year. I emailed to see if they had any used Epifani UL-212 cabs. They said they had two and gave me a price which was in the order of what I expected, so based on previous experience I said I would have one and that I would come and collect. I asked if they would like a deposit and duly paid £100 by bank transfer.

A week or so later I drove up to collect. They had two so I selected the one in best condition, paid the balance, and Alex and Martin kindly carried it out and loaded it in the car. At this point I hadn't lifted it. When I got it home I was somewhat surpised to find that it was a lot heavier at 31.4Kg than my existing cab, a T212-UL, at 22.1Kg.

I got straight back to them and said it was unusable at that weight and that I would like to return it - there was no mention of conditions. I duly set off for London with the cab and delivered it back to them. Imagine my surprise when I was advised that they would not refund the deposit I paid but only the balance. After remonstrating with them they agreed to only withhold £50. Only after I decided to buy a brand new speaker cab did they agree to give a full refund.

I would just warn others not to volunteer a deposit, and if you have to pay one then keep it to a minimum and clarify the returns policy. It left a very sour taste in my mouth and I probably will never shop there again.

[quote name='obbm' post='1364739' date='Sep 6 2011, 10:30 PM']I've sat on this for 5 months however I must confess that I had a slightly unpleasant experience with the Gallery earlier this year. I emailed to see if they had any used Epifani UL-212 cabs. They said they had two and gave me a price which was in the order of what I expected, so based on previous experience I said I would have one and that I would come and collect. I asked if they would like a deposit and duly paid £100 by bank transfer.

A week or so later I drove up to collect. They had two so I selected the one in best condition, paid the balance, and Alex and Martin kindly carried it out and loaded it in the car. At this point I hadn't lifted it. When I got it home I was somewhat surpised to find that it was a lot heavier at 31.4Kg than my existing cab, a T212-UL, at 22.1Kg.

I got straight back to them and said it was unusable at that weight and that I would like to return it - there was no mention of conditions. I duly set off for London with the cab and delivered it back to them. Imagine my surprise when I was advised that they would not refund the deposit I paid but only the balance. After remonstrating with them they agreed to only withhold £50. Only after I decided to buy a brand new speaker cab did they agree to give a full refund.

I would just warn others not to volunteer a deposit, and if you have to pay one then keep it to a minimum and clarify the returns policy. It left a very sour taste in my mouth and I probably will never shop there again.[/quote]

Blimey not doing well here, but in our defence if you look at point 3 in out T&C it does say deposits are non refundable.
[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/tandc.cfm"]http://www.thebassgallery.com/tandc.cfm[/url]