Why become a member? ×

Denmark Street

ednaplate

[quote name='MB1' post='1361768' date='Sep 4 2011, 02:01 PM']MB1. :)
Not forgetting the long established small family firm known as" Johnny Roadhouse Music" whose emporium of delights is on Oxford road Manchester.
ask for Danny :)[/quote]

^ That's precisely who/where I bought my bass from :lol:

Here on the Isle of Wight , our local music shops are great and have a really eclectic mix of guitars . We can sustain five shops , but as they are all different , and can source some really cool instruments ( how about a 64 Danelectro shorthorn a'la Jimmy Page .)
I bought my 64 Precision from Strings in Ryde , and Volume One has a really cool Selmer Treble and Bass and matching Goliath Cab in Croc skin in fabulous condition , there really are some vintage gems to be had .
All our shops are owner operated , so lots of knowledge and help on tap.
I would rather buy locally,or off the net , than venture down Tin Pan alley.

[quote name='Batfastard' post='1362316' date='Sep 4 2011, 10:02 PM']There is the fact that some of the sales people will be working just for the money and have only a vague interest in what they are selling. And also that they are being paid a very low wage, so there is a lack of motivation.[/quote]

But as most will know, every young muso would love work in a guitar shop, so it's not like they're hard to replace!

Although not strictly London, come to GuitarGuitar in Epsom. Ask for me (Alex) and I'll sort you out. Have got everything from Sadowsky to Phil Jones, and much more.

We don't work on commission so you won't have to put up with someone continually upselling or ignoring your sale if it's less than £1000 etc.

[quote name='Bankai' post='1362437' date='Sep 4 2011, 11:29 PM']Although not strictly London, come to GuitarGuitar in Epsom. Ask for me (Alex) and I'll sort you out. Have got everything from Sadowsky to Phil Jones, and much more.

We don't work on commission so you won't have to put up with someone continually upselling or ignoring your sale if it's less than £1000 etc.[/quote]

Bit cheeky of me, but if we wanted something you stock, can we PM you to sort a price?

I've found everytime I email GuitarGuitar they never budge on prices, not even matching Soundslive right near the Newcastle store.

Generally if you can find it cheaper, then GG will price match. Just ask on the phone or alternatively come in store. As for discounts otherwise, you'll usually find the guys can do you a deal if you buy a couple of things, for example a head and cab together.

If it's the Newcastle store that's nearest to you, then ask to speak to a manager there once you know what it is you're after. Myself and normal staff aren't able to do discounts you see so all we'd be doing would be asking a manager ourselves!

Any further questions then PM me :) Probably best rather than pulling this thread off track which I could see us doing!

[quote name='Bankai' post='1362486' date='Sep 5 2011, 12:47 AM']Generally if you can find it cheaper, then GG will price match. Just ask on the phone or alternatively come in store. As for discounts otherwise, you'll usually find the guys can do you a deal if you buy a couple of things, for example a head and cab together.

If it's the Newcastle store that's nearest to you, then ask to speak to a manager there once you know what it is you're after. Myself and normal staff aren't able to do discounts you see so all we'd be doing would be asking a manager ourselves!

Any further questions then PM me :) Probably best rather than pulling this thread off track which I could see us doing![/quote]

Wait a minute...are you the red haired guy who works in the Epsom GG?

If so, I can only thank you for generally being so helpful and accommodating to my stupid quest to find a decent 5 string Jazz Bass.

If not, could you apologise to him for me having to leave on short notice, after kitting me out in a booth with an Aguilar head, 2 Sandbergs a Lakland, a Sadowsky and a G&L! I had an upset girlfriend on the phone who needed attending to, not leaving me time to put the basses back, or relay my overall opinions (or even say thanks!)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1362476' date='Sep 5 2011, 12:17 AM']I've found everytime I email GuitarGuitar they never budge on prices, not even matching Soundslive right near the Newcastle store.[/quote]

I've had this experience with Guitar Guitar in Newcastle, on the telephone. The upshot was that I bought my Geddy Lee Jazz Bass from Sounds Live and I don't even consider Guitar Guitar now, when making a purchase.

[quote name='fender73' post='1361554' date='Sep 4 2011, 09:56 AM']Nothing wrong as such, just that they are no longer a physical shop, now just a virtual one! I miss the days of travelling to Wapping to spend ages looking around the incredible stock they used to have in the Golden Era of Bass![/quote]
[rose coloured spectacles] Ah.. those WERE the days. Yes, Grant. I want to try all 37 of your Fender Jazzes and still not buy one because none of them are quite right, whether they're a '72 or a '98 or in between.
"No Worries mate! try 'em all!" [/rose coloured spectacles]
Ultimately, I only spent about er.... lots there.

[quote name='Batfastard' post='1362316' date='Sep 4 2011, 10:02 PM']There is the fact that some of the sales people will be working just for the money and have only a vague interest in what they are selling. And also that they are being paid a very low wage, so there is a lack of motivation.[/quote]
Yep. I work in food retail and don't give a flying f-word about "MisterX 10,0001"' s next can of beans. I get paid a squeak over minimum wage these days, and still serve people correctly, giving them my time and full attention. Even if they start off being utterly rude, they'll thank me when we're done.
I am paid to serve customers to the best of my ability, so that is what I do.
Give me a subject I care about, and I'll probably do better still.
No excuse, guitar/bass shoppe staff.
Denmark Street needs
i) pedestrianising (is that a verb nowadays?)
ii) filling with "trendy wine bars"

That's all it's good for.
Just go to the Gallery instead.

I don't even remember seeing Music Ground there the other day. Maybe they've gone under or my Rose tinted glasses had fogged over? Thankfully the Denmark St trip was only half an hour out of an otherwise fun packed day. I'm familiar with all the Manchester shops and find their service on the whole okay, certainly better than what I experienced at the weekend.

I can echo what others have said. What I saw was a raft of 'vintage' instruments, some of which looked like they'd been built with the lights off. Glad I've done it though. It was an experience I won't be repeating. Like I said at the beginning off the thread, send in the bulldozers.

Had a poor experience in GG Glasgow recently - looking to buy a present for someone and two of us collected the cash (remember that!) and went in, had a pluck, said, 'we'll take it!' and looked proudly at each other saying, 'well that was easy!'

Sales assistant then says, I'll just serve this guy first and come back. We looked at a free assistant and asked if we could pay him and got a 'No.' (Is there some sort of omerta going on?)

We looked on the bright side and had a wee browse at the untouchables down stairs. Came back up and asked, 'OK, can we buy it now?' as it lay waiting on the counter. 'Er...just be a minute!'

Wandered round once more then 30 mins after our instrument had been chosen looked at the item, looked at the assistants, looked at each other and left. Went to Merchant City Music and bought a slightly more expensive item immediately, got talking to the sales assistant about guitars in general and he volunteered the chance for me to get a shot of an EC Strat and a AmDeluxe Tele. Superb!

That's the 3rd time something similar has happened and they have actually lost about £950 in sales over their lack of desire to serve.

Did you go on a Saturday by any chance, as that's a real bad day to go. It sounds as if you won't return anyway, but you ought to go on a quiet weekday, when staff are generally less rude and uptight.

If you're serious about buying something, i can recommend Peter Cookes in Hanwell, West London (a quick train ride from Paddington). You can browse their stock online and ask to put some aside for you to try on your visit. I've made two considerable purchases from them over the years.

[quote name='ednaplate' post='1363150' date='Sep 5 2011, 05:48 PM']I don't even remember seeing Music Ground there the other day.[/quote]

Music Ground's shop is now occupied by the second branch of Macari's (the original is on Charing Cross Rd still). The Bass Cellar have left their shop and have moved in to the basement of Rocker's. Hank's has moved into what used to be Andy's.

There's a general move away from the north side as (I am told by the chap in the Bass Gallery) the ongoing Crossrail developments might impinge on that side's property.

[quote name='merello' post='1363318' date='Sep 5 2011, 07:44 PM']Had a poor experience in GG Glasgow recently - looking to buy a present for someone and two of us collected the cash (remember that!) and went in, had a pluck, said, 'we'll take it!' and looked proudly at each other saying, 'well that was easy!'

Sales assistant then says, I'll just serve this guy first and come back. We looked at a free assistant and asked if we could pay him and got a 'No.' (Is there some sort of omerta going on?)

We looked on the bright side and had a wee browse at the untouchables down stairs. Came back up and asked, 'OK, can we buy it now?' as it lay waiting on the counter. 'Er...just be a minute!'

Wandered round once more then 30 mins after our instrument had been chosen looked at the item, looked at the assistants, looked at each other and left. Went to Merchant City Music and bought a slightly more expensive item immediately, got talking to the sales assistant about guitars in general and he volunteered the chance for me to get a shot of an EC Strat and a AmDeluxe Tele. Superb!

That's the 3rd time something similar has happened and they have actually lost about £950 in sales over their lack of desire to serve.[/quote]

I've had a similar experience in GG in Glasgow. On the other hand I've also had good experiences in the same shop. Maybe it's down to who is attending to your needs. McCormacks in Glasgow and Bruce Millars in Aberdeen have now closed. Both shops were institutions and used to give good service and payment plans to youngsters buying their first decent instrument. It all changed however with a promise to marry the owners 18 stone daughter being required before you could have a go on a guitar or bass. No surprise both shops went down the tubes.

I'm now living up in Moray and we have an excellent shop in Elgin called Sound & Vision. No problem trying stuff out. They may not have an extensive range but they know their business depends on people spending money.

Music Ground in Denmark St had this collector's item on sale last time I was there a couple of years ago.

They advertised it as being ex-Dave Hill of Slade. I mentioned that I run a comprehensive Slade site
www.slayed.co.uk with details of their gear going back to the 60's and I assured them that Dave Hill
[i]wouldn't be seen dead in the same town[/i] as that guitar.

They looked at me as if I was mad and they put it on EBay as such. So, I contacted Slade's management
for clarification ..... and I think they[i] had a word[/i].

They guitar has been advertised since as being "ex-Showaddywaddy". Of course, I am not an expert on
popular all round middle of the road entertainers Showaddywaddy at all. But a 1950's off-pink penis
styled guitar doesn't really sound like them either. I think they MAY still have it on EBay.

[b]Have MG still got it and - if so - what is it being advertised as today???[/b]

Edited by 12stringbassist

Denmark street have now done the 'ex dave hill of Slade' trick, for [b]awfull[/b] guitars at least 3 times to my short knowlege. All 3 times they have been called on it and not backed down till they were forced to. Dave 'H' Hill may have been flash and loud but he has style and was never crude. That thing is without a doubt the worst piece of junk i have ever seen. If i were a millionaire id buy it just to burn, as an insult to 'H' and film its fiery death for youtube.

Edited by daz

Guest levelitup

[quote name='fender73' post='1361554' date='Sep 4 2011, 09:56 AM']Nothing wrong as such, just that they are no longer a physical shop, now just a virtual one! I miss the days of travelling to Wapping to spend ages looking around the incredible stock they used to have in the Golden Era of Bass![/quote]

Absolutely fender73.

I remember going to TBC back in the 90s, Nick, Grant and Chris were very helpful, polite, funny and above all down to earth geezers, not like these tossers today!
I too was up Denmark street a couple of weeks ago, not one appealing item in any shop, wasted journey.........

[quote name='ojwethorns' post='1366187' date='Sep 8 2011, 11:24 AM']I went to Denmark St last week. I found a lot to look at and the staff in the stores I went in were very helpful and happy for me to try even though I did not want to buy. :)[/quote]

you work in Denmark Street and I claim my £5.00!

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='1367085' date='Sep 8 2011, 10:17 PM']you work in Denmark Street and I claim my £5.00![/quote]

My dad 'claimed' £5 off Chalky White on Rhyl promenade in 1972. He went up to the Guy and said the immortal lines[i] 'To my delight, it's Chalkie White and I claim my reward.' [/i] It still gets "remember when'd" at family gatherings.

Maybe we could do the same for Denmark Street and [i]good customer service[/i] ?

Edited by daz