Why become a member? ×

Fretless P or J best at emulating a DB?

Clarky

I have an Items Wanted search on BC for a fretless Fender P, PJ or J bass but was thinking on about this. I am intrinsically a Precision fanboy but various BCers have said in the past that a Jazz gets closer to a double bass sound (bridge pickup solo'd with tone rolled off) which is my main tone target with a fretless. Clearly the ideal would be to cover all bases (excuse the pun) with a PJ such as a Tony Franklin fretless. However the likelihood of getting hold of a reasonable priced s/h one is low, given I just missed out on Legion/Jas' TF last week.

So if I am to get a P or a J fretless, which would be better for my needs? The alternative is simply to get a Takamine TB10 or B10 acoustic fretless which would definitely sound DB-ish but is bulkier, more fragile and potentially feedback prone (according to some). Thoughts, peeps?

PS, I have a double bass before anyone suggests that :) Also I am a traditionalist in my tastes

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='1358221' date='Aug 31 2011, 10:50 PM']If money was no object then I would be going for this!

[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_details.cfm?ID=1129&type=Bass%20Guitar"]http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_deta...e=Bass%20Guitar[/url][/quote]

that is nice. I would imagine that of the 2, a P bass would probably give you the best sound because of it's midrangey type sound but yeah maybe an acoustic bass would be the best idea.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1358221' date='Aug 31 2011, 10:50 PM']If money was no object then I would be going for this!

[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_details.cfm?ID=1129&type=Bass%20Guitar"]http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_deta...e=Bass%20Guitar[/url][/quote]

No doubt it sounds great, but imho that is one ugly guitar!

Anyway I'd always go for the Jazz option... roll off the bridge pickup and it's enough like a P that only bassists know the difference, roll off the neck pickup and tone and you get that sound that Jaco and others loved. You can pick up a Squier lined fretless J for very reasonable money to try it out...

I've always fancied one of those synth access Godin fretless basses, but they sure aren't cheap and once you've bought the bass you still need the synth to plug it into.

ficelles

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1358229' date='Aug 31 2011, 10:56 PM']that is nice. I would imagine that of the 2, a P bass would probably give you the best sound because of it's midrangey type sound but yeah maybe an acoustic bass would be the best idea.[/quote]

I remember trying out a fretless Jazz and Precision in a shop once. I've always wanted to play double bass but there's only so much allowance for bass stuff in the boot! :)

For me the Jazz overall had a bit too much 'clarity' and sounded a bit too nasal, if you get what I mean, whereas the P had the nice rounded mid-range and low-end thump more like a db :)

Then again models vary and there are other basses out there other than Fenders; that Bass Gallery one looks [i]sweet[/i].

Edited by Ben Jamin

[quote name='Clarky' post='1358163' date='Aug 31 2011, 10:02 PM']I have an Items Wanted search on BC for a fretless Fender P, PJ or J bass but was thinking on about this. I am intrinsically a Precision fanboy but various BCers have said in the past that a Jazz gets closer to a double bass sound (bridge pickup solo'd with tone rolled off) which is my main tone target with a fretless. Clearly the ideal would be to cover all bases (excuse the pun) with a PJ such as a Tony Franklin fretless. However the likelihood of getting hold of a reasonable priced s/h one is low, given I just missed out on Legion/Jas' TF last week.

So if I am to get a P or a J fretless, which would be better for my needs? The alternative is simply to get a Takamine TB10 or B10 acoustic fretless which would definitely sound DB-ish but is bulkier, more fragile and potentially feedback prone (according to some). Thoughts, peeps?

PS, I have a double bass before anyone suggests that :) Also I am a traditionalist in my tastes[/quote]

I use the neck pup more on your ex p/j, using that bridge pup with the tone rolled off sounds like Jaco!

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1358261' date='Aug 31 2011, 11:17 PM']+1[/quote]
Would you seriously gig an Ashbory? to me it's a studio instrument only. can you imagine the assembled zombie and vampire hordes of Rattlin Bone with me playing a tiny blue Ashbory :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='1358207' date='Aug 31 2011, 10:36 PM']Rob Allen basses are really nice and great for DB emulation but out of my price bracket, in a similar vein[/quote]
You could always sell that old refinished bass with the dodgy frets you've got. :)

I gigged with an Ashbory exclusively for a year in a 12 piece reggae band.
It worked great and became my trade mark - I'm 6' 4" by the way and zombies don't notice intonation :)

Alternatively, I would suggest a fretless Jazz strung with Rotosound nylon tru-bass strings.

Edited by redstriper

Warwick Alien Standard 4 ??

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/warwick-alien-standard-4-string/49000"]http://www.gak.co.uk/en/warwick-alien-stan...-4-string/49000[/url]

I'm sure they do a fretless too - put some flatwounds on it - bingo !

Don't underestimate the foam/felt bridge mute - especially combined with black plastic flats. That video clip of Gil Yaron has rounds fitted, so you only get half the effect. Haven't you got Wes's Herbie Flowers Jazz? Get a set of mutes on it....just as Leo originally intended.