Why become a member? ×

Fat necks

Sambrook

Hi there. I've been on the forum a while, but new to posting, so bear with me if I get anything wrong.
I wanted to pick your brains on the subject of neck size (bass, not mine). I have owned a few basses, and tried a few more, but I don't have opportunity to try a great variety of different basses. I wanted to know which brands are known for having thick necks. I have a Retrovibe Musicman copy with a nice thick neck that I love, and I would like to maybe upgrade in the future. I find Jazz basses too thin for my fingers (depth, not width). If anybody has any pointers for me, I would be most grateful. Thanks!

Cheap or expensive? Warmoth necks have a rep for being big. Telebasses, except I found the Squier VM one to still be quite shallow. I have a couple of Johnson necks on my basses, that are thick and ugly headstocked. Like the feel still, also dig the feel of the Ryder ones, once the shine is off. Wishbass have massive necks.

[quote name='Sambrook' post='1355533' date='Aug 29 2011, 06:45 PM']Hi there. I've been on the forum a while, but new to posting, so bear with me if I get anything wrong.
I wanted to pick your brains on the subject of neck size (bass, not mine). I have owned a few basses, and tried a few more, but I don't have opportunity to try a great variety of different basses. I wanted to know which brands are known for having thick necks. I have a Retrovibe Musicman copy with a nice thick neck that I love, and I would like to maybe upgrade in the future. I find Jazz basses too thin for my fingers (depth, not width). If anybody has any pointers for me, I would be most grateful. Thanks![/quote]
Sambrook, if it's not too far for you (and you're around), you could maybe make it to Basschat's [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=144613"]South East Bass Bash[/url] on September 24th.
If you're after an opportunity to try different basses, you'll find lot's of luvverly stuff to check out and talk about bass-wise. :)

Hey Paul S, I had me one o' them Hayman 4040's, too. Solid bass!

[attachment=88205:sg_artemis1.jpg]

[quote name='Stingray5' post='1355565' date='Aug 29 2011, 07:22 PM']Hey Paul S, I had me one o' them Hayman 4040's, too. Solid bass![/quote]

Indeed. Too solid, really - weighed as much as one of Jupiter's moons - but wonderful craftsmanship. Mine didn't sound all that great, it has to be said but it was certainly a good talking point.

If you're near london, take a trip to the bass gallery, a couple hours playing around in there will give you a solid knowledge base :) . alternatively, I've heard great things about bassdirect in warwick, in fact they've got a couple things I want to try out sometime.

[quote name='gary mac' post='1355642' date='Aug 29 2011, 08:17 PM']My G&L SB1 has a nice chunky neck as do most of my fender P's[/quote]

...as does the G&L L2000. The L2000 Tribute has only one neck size 1.75" at the nut and 12" radius. The USA L2000 has a choice of neck sizes, but 1.75"/12" would be standered.

[quote name='funkypenguin' post='1355847' date='Aug 30 2011, 12:06 AM']From my experience, Fender P should be your first port of call! The P necks ive noodled on wouldnt have been out of place in the hands of Kevin Pietersen[/quote]

The Mexican Fender Classic 50s Precision, and the more expensive Fender 57 Reissue are on the fat side.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1355891' date='Aug 30 2011, 06:56 AM']The Mexican Fender Classic 50s Precision, and the more expensive Fender 57 Reissue are on the fat side.[/quote]
Thanks everybody. I live in South Cumbria, so opportunities are limited, but maybe a trip to Bass Direct might be in order. Appreciate the input.

[quote name='Sambrook' post='1355905' date='Aug 30 2011, 07:41 AM']Thanks everybody. I live in South Cumbria, so opportunities are limited, but maybe a trip to Bass Direct might be in order. Appreciate the input.[/quote]

Overwater are in your neck of the woods, well Cumbria anyway. Even if they don't have what you want, you will get to see some mighty fine instruments.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1355811' date='Aug 29 2011, 11:12 PM']Everyone says Warwicks have baseball bat necks. I disagree, but it's the 'accepted wisdom'.[/quote]

Some do, it seems to be the age that's the main factor rather than the model though. Some 90s ones seem to be thicker than they are wide.

I had a lovely thin necked thumb though so it doesn't apply to all Warwicks. :)

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1355938' date='Aug 30 2011, 08:35 AM']Some do, it seems to be the age that's the main factor rather than the model though. Some 90s ones seem to be thicker than they are wide.

I had a lovely thin necked thumb though so it doesn't apply to all Warwicks. :)[/quote]

Both of the Corvettes that I have owned had chunky necks. 2006 and 2008.

The Fortress (1994) was much slimmer.

Heh!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1355811' date='Aug 29 2011, 11:12 PM']Everyone says Warwicks have baseball bat necks. I disagree, but it's the 'accepted wisdom'.[/quote]

They vary SO much that there's nothing to base 'accepted wisdom' on!

[quote name='fender73' post='1355904' date='Aug 30 2011, 07:39 AM']my yamaha attitude special, which is currently for sale incidentaly, has what is considered to be a fat neck. Cheers, Graeme[/quote]

The neck on my Attitude is hefty indeed. Aren't they modelled on Billy's old/favourite P bass?