Why become a member? ×

Manchester Bass Day 06/11/11

daz

I hope they've done some work at BOTW....last time I played there it really was looking rough! I had to laugh when they said it was alright to leave the gear there, as the cleaners were in at 10 in the morning. I saw no evidence of cleaning in a year or two on that night.....

I have a plan to get there this year though!

[quote name='BassBunny' post='1368977' date='Sep 10 2011, 11:34 PM']From what I can gather talking to Stevie, it's all at Band on the Wall. It would be too much of a schlep between RNCM and BOW. Guess it's going back to how the first Bass Days were at Life Cafe. Small and intimate....[/quote]
Nice idea, shame about reality. It's previous location was excellent and easily accessed, the new location is not as good for getting to plus I doubt it'll be as well known. Also, having a smaller capacity will make the event seem like it has gone backwards and not evolved - who wants to go to an event where there is guaranteed to be less than the year before ? I'd imagine the price of the tickets doesn't go down to reflect that. I think it's been left too late in the year to be changed and publicised.

[quote name='Machines' post='1369250' date='Sep 11 2011, 11:37 AM']Nice idea, shame about reality. It's previous location was excellent and easily accessed, the new location is not as good for getting to plus I doubt it'll be as well known. Also, having a smaller capacity will make the event seem like it has gone backwards and not evolved - who wants to go to an event where there is guaranteed to be less than the year before ? I'd imagine the price of the tickets doesn't go down to reflect that. I think it's been left too late in the year to be changed and publicised.[/quote]

'fraid i have to agree. Why on earth is it being moved? Just to get Marcus Miller as a guest ? Big deal! I thought that the idea of a bassday, is surely about the equipment not the guests. Guest players are nice but secondary.

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' post='1369259' date='Sep 11 2011, 11:46 AM']'fraid i have to agree. Why on earth is it being moved? Just to get Marcus Miller as a guest ? Big deal! I thought that the idea of a bassday, is surely about the equipment not the guests. Guest players are nice but secondary.[/quote]

Funny,I always find the players more important than the gear.

It's awesome that Marcus is going to be doing it,but I don't know if Band on the Wall is the
right venue,as cool as it is-it might be a bit small.

I won't be going though because the date has been moved to the same day that I fly out to
LA.

I know BassBunny heard this direct from Steve, but are we sure...

The Bassday site still has the old date & the old venue listed. The RNCM are still listing the event on the site and selling tickets Band on the wall website does not have the event listed. Maybe the after party is there? Maybe Steve was just thinking out loud. Theres no published change of date yet, tickets are still be sold for the original date and at the original venue...

As far as I'm concerned its Oct 16th at the RNCM and we're still waiting for the website to be updated with this years performers. In fact from googling it now it appears that the only reference to this event being on 06/11/11 this year is this very thread on Basschat!!! I personally think we shouldn't get too carried away with the idea yet.

Or have I missed something more official?

Don't shoot the messenger guys. I am just repeating what Stevie said on Thursday night and told me "You are the first person who knows the changes". He said the website would be updated this week-end.
I am with Doddy on this one, the artists are more important than the gear for me. The London show was all about Equipment, Manchester always used to be about players.
Last year did nothing for me other than Dave Marks session. Victor Bailey was obviously pretty ill, Stu Hamm was quite funny but Billy Sheehan bored me senseless.
The last year at Life Cafe we had Joseph Patrick Moore, Alvin Mills, Lucy Shaw, Janek Gwizdala, Yossi Fine, Yolanda Charles and band, Adam Nitti, Wojtek Pilichowski, Jonas Hellborg and Stefan Redtenbacer with his band. It was awesome.
Funnily enough Band on The Wall was used on the Monday night after BassDay 2009. It had just re-opened after a massive re-furbishment and there was a post-BassDay gig with Adam Nitti, Pookie Bell and his band....
At the end of the day, if you don't want to go. Don't.

Edited by BassBunny

[quote name='BassBunny' post='1369510' date='Sep 11 2011, 04:05 PM']Don't shoot the messenger guys. I am just repeating what Stevie said on Thursday night and told me "You are the first person who knows the changes". He said the website would be updated this week-end.
I am with Doddy on this one, the artists are more important than the gear for me. The London show was all about Equipment, Manchester always used to be about players.
Last year did nothing for me other than Dave Marks session. Victor Bailey was obviously pretty ill, Stu Hamm was quite funny but Billy Sheehan bored me senseless.
The last year at Life Cafe we had Joseph Patrick Moore, Alvin Mills, Lucy Shaw, Janek Gwizdala, Yossi Fine, Yolanda Charles and band, Adam Nitti, Wojtek Pilichowski, Jonas Hellborg and Stefan Redtenbacer with his band. It was awesome.
Funnily enough Band on The Wall was used on the Monday night after BassDay 2009. It had just re-opened after a massive re-furbishment and there was a post-BassDay gig with Adam Nitti, Pookie Bell and his band....
At the end of the day, if you don't want to go. Don't.[/quote]

No mesennger shooting here either, i hope i never gave that impression ? Im glad you let people know what was going on and the new date. so many thanks

As for someone mentioning that Manchester was more about the players and the London show was the one about the gear. I enjoyed both elemets at last years manchester show and was impressed by the venue too. Two stages and lots of space for kit and plenty of space to wander about outside in the uni gardens if the low end buzz was giving you a head funk, as some said it did. I cant afford to go to London fo a show. Its too damn expensive to get there and get accomadation. London show is great if you live in greater London or have pals living there to put you up. For me unfortunately the Manchester show was the only thing i went to last year and it will be this year too. Band on the wall is fine but its not a tardis, its just too small, unless i have remembered it wrong? I'll be made up if someone tells me that they have had an extension put on or something ?

As for not wanting to go. Thats just the point i really[i] do [/i]want to go. It was not hyperbole when i said i have been looking forward to this event since last years ended. The fact that i couldnt make the london show only made it worse. If petrol was american prices I'd have driven down the 200 miles and kipped in the car (hey ive done it before im not ashamed of it) I have only been playing now for 20 months so am still on a learning curve and try to asimilate as much knowlege re bass kit and players that I possibly can. I will go wherever its held, but am afraid if this years show feels like a last minute scramble it will feel like a step backwards.

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' post='1371371' date='Sep 13 2011, 07:25 AM']tickets for bassday are now £27 on the door. How come its [b]£7 more [/b]? It should be £7 less surely. Last year we had 3 main guests players with 4 or five extra workshops/lectures as well ?[/quote]
If you check the Artist Profile area, there is room for 3 more artists to be confirmed. Bernard Lackner is already in there so who knows.
As it is a Masterclass and Q&A with MM, I personally reckon it is worth it for him alone.
As I said before, you have a choice and I paid way more than that for the last concert I went to.

I've just found in my mailbox mail from Steve about changes.
I don't mind date and venue change, I've missed 2 previous bassdays and I want to go and be part of this one.
I've bought my ticket online couple of weeks ago, and I think it's rather bad manner to ask people to pay additional fees for tickets already purchased.
Going to do it anyway, but don't like it at all

BTW: isn't it against the law?

Edited by observer

[quote name='observer' post='1371622' date='Sep 13 2011, 11:52 AM']I've just found in my mailbox mail from Steve about changes.
I don't mind date and venue change, I've missed 2 previous bassdays and I want to go and be part of this one.
I've bought my ticket online couple of weeks ago, and I think it's rather bad manner to ask people to pay additional fees for tickets already purchased.
Going to do it anyway, but don't like it at all[/quote]

I can't believe theyr'e asking for money from people that have already bought tickets, bad form that.

[quote name='jacko' post='1370009' date='Sep 11 2011, 11:49 PM']If it's moved to november 6th then I'm out. Had the october weekend booked and a car load of bassists happy to travel. Nov 6th I have a gig.
Shame to move it just to get marcus. He's good..... but not that good :-)[/quote]

6th November? I should be going to see KT Tunstall that night, so I'm out if that's the case. Not that I'm bothered about Marcus anyway (I'd far, far, far sooner see KT), I just hope they don't get Matt Garrison, who I [i]would[/i] be very bothered about......