Why become a member? ×

Feedback

Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1324863' date='Aug 2 2011, 08:57 PM']I know this has been brought up before, but could some of those sellers perhaps contribute to the forum instead of just using it as a marketplace?[/quote]

I'm only really here to buy and sell Pete, the contribution's just collateral damage

Dunno about 'contributing'. Up to the individual. If they bung me cash or flog me something nice at a bargain rate I really don't give a fat rat's ass if they withhold their thinking on Renaissance lawnmowers.

But IIRC there are one or two people for whom I have posted feedback who haven't reciprocated. No biggie, but it would be nice. (Sheds a manly tear).

I would love every BC member to contribute am become the future of the forums existence... BUT, I also see it from the other side of the glass.

If I owned a drum kit, and I wanted to sell said drum kit, an stumbled across/was told about an online forum where loads of drummers hung out daily and seemed to have a thriving sales section, would I join to sell the kit - hell yes, after all, I want to sell it!

If I had the time to look around and like what I find then I may post and stay, otherwise id sell the kit and move on.

If you had a car to sell and heard about a forum where there were loads of buyers and you didn't have to pay any sellers fees etc would you sell it there... Most likely. Would you stay and talk about cars everyday? Unlikely.

All that said - I'm off to the feedback section to leave some I forgot about :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1324954' date='Aug 2 2011, 10:06 PM']It seems that the regular posters keep the forum alive.[/quote]

That's kinda stating the obvious. :)

It would be better if everyone got involved everywhere but it won't happen. You'd need rules which would put people off joining the forum and the very people who are turning away because of daft rules might be the next person to become a regular poster.

And it is annoying when you ask someone to leave you feedback then they disappear. It's happened a few times to me.

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1324863' date='Aug 2 2011, 08:57 PM']I know this has been brought up before, but could some of those sellers perhaps contribute to the forum instead of just using it as a marketplace?

It seems like the same members keep it going.[/quote]

It doesn't bother me too much.

But I am a lot more likely to do a transaction with someone who has a "history" in the forum (participating in various subforums) than with someone who only sells. However, it's not a biggie.
Some people may arrive just to sell, or buy, and then decide to stay. And why not?

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1324922' date='Aug 2 2011, 10:41 PM'][...]

But IIRC there are one or two people for whom I have posted feedback who haven't reciprocated. No biggie, but it would be nice. (Sheds a manly tear).[/quote]

I know what you mean. <cough> thethreeuserswhoboughtstuffoffmerecentlyandhavenotyetleftfeedback <cough>

I think that enforcing rules like having a minimum number of posts before buying or selling would either make folks not want to join (therefore we'd miss out on all manner of awesome gear!) or just post all kinds of sh*te just to be able to sell. Neither of which are desirable really.

And it is very tough to integrate yourself in to a forum. There is definitely a "clique" of people who chat between themselves and rarely acknowledge the posts of noobs.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1325119' date='Aug 3 2011, 12:44 AM']Some people may arrive just to sell, or buy, and then decide to stay. And why not?[/quote]

Like me.

I thought I'd just be bedding down for the night but [s]you all have such nice stuff for sale[/s] I really like the forum so I'm staying.

:)

[quote name='amnesia' post='1325181' date='Aug 3 2011, 08:03 AM']It can be difficult to integrate into a new forum. Most have their own cliques and if you happen to disagree with one of the 'in-crowd' then you might aswell not bother posting at all as it just gets ignored.[/quote]

Too true. However, I remember one post from a newcomer a few months ago asking for advice on a song he couldn't sort. About 20 members replied with various helpful viewpoints and there was no response whatsoever from the OP. That, I find a bit off.

Most on here are happy to offer advice and when they do, it would be nice to acknowledge their input.

Re the sales forums, I must admit that I tend not to buy anything from anyone with zero presence on BC but that's just me being cautious, no principles involved.

I've bought and sold a whole bunch of things on here and i've met some jolly nice people in the process too.
I don't really have much to add to what the main regulars have to say. There are many people on here who are experts in all fields who usually post before me so i do the on-line equivalent of nodding and raising eyebrows in agreement, i.e. saying nothing.

I could simply post "hmm, i agree" all the time but i'm sure it'd waste everyone's time!!!

Saying that i have been smacked down a couple of times whilst starting topics or posting genuine and honest things that i've had to say, which has left me quite reluctant to post anything unless i've re-read it a hundred times and then brace myself for the scrutiny of people who may possibly be ready to prove me wrong.

I did end up here whilst looking to sell something, but i've stuck around and i've picked up many tips and information along the way. It's also the first stop for me when i'm buying or selling anything.
I feel it's an important part of this site as it not only helps those selling / buying regardless of whether they're new or will disappear and along the way the forum will collect new members as result. Such as myself.

I've popped into many pubs for one drink and never gone in again yet i'll always go to my local where the same old people are (usually having the same old conversations).

[quote name='amnesia' post='1325181' date='Aug 3 2011, 08:03 AM']It can be difficult to integrate into a new forum. Most have their own cliques and if you happen to disagree with one of the 'in-crowd' then you might aswell not bother posting at all as it just gets ignored.[/quote]

why would anyone waste their TIM with stupid cliques