Why become a member? ×

Change of direction

Blademan_98

I have played blues / rock for years.

My musical tastes have always centered around the blues genre.

The other day, after reading a few threads on here, I thought that I should try different styles to broaden my playing abilities.

I went out and bought some Earth, Wind and Fire CD's / DVD's.

Funky groove :)

I have spent the last two days playing along to the tracks as best I can.

I'm hooked!!!!!

Has anyone else had an change of direction with their musical tastes / playing styles?

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1317475' date='Jul 26 2011, 07:10 PM']Has anyone else had an change of direction with their musical tastes / playing styles?[/quote]

Constantly....
Though not necessarily changing direction, more taking to, adding different styles & tastes.
Guess its part of keeping an open mind musically, which can only be good. :)

Edited by nick

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1317482' date='Jul 26 2011, 07:14 PM']Metal - Rock - Fusion - Jazz

Felt like a pretty organic process. I grew and the music grew with me.[/quote]

Would going from Jazz to Rock be like shrinking ?

I'd really love to play in a folk/americana type band, but Im not sure where Id get the chance, so looks like I need to keep on enjoying the classic covers

Edited by lojo

Most definitely. Simply the act of creating music with different musicians will cause it to go in a different direction.

I've been playing in bands for about 35 years now. My musical tastes have changed over that time (especially considering that a lot of the musical styles I currently listen to at the moment didn't exist back in the 70s) so it's hardly surprising that the music I play now isn't the same as the music I played when I started.

If you were to listen to all my bands in chronological order you'd be able to see how one style developed into another, but if you simply took a couple of tracks 5 or more years apart, you'd probably not be able to tell that I had a hand in creating both of them.

I'm doing one last gig with a band doing the classic rock stuff (AC/DC, Guns, Lizzie, ZEP etc) as I've come to a decision that I don't really enjoy it anymore. I've always listened to, played, and appreciated other genres like Prog, Funk, Soul, Disco, Blues/Jazz crossover but usually found myself in the rock covers arena.

I recently started another band with the Mrs and we're doing stuff from Sade', Carole King, Cyndi Lauper and even Laura Nyro and to be honest, it turns me on so much more than the usual Boys are back in town opener and the big Sweet child of mine finish. However, I don't view this as moving on or in, another direction. Just adding more to my personal repetoire.

All the previous stuff has just been relegated to the top shelf of the library, but still there for the use of.

I will still play the blues but I think this change of direction for what makes me smile is just a bolt out of the ether!

I've been so bogged down with the music that has shaped my life, I find this new lease of life amazing :)

I like listening to all sorts, but playing has always been blues / rock based.

Yes for sure but again, down to keeping an open mind, growing older, changing tastes etc. I started out with the whole U2, Inxs, Simple Minds, Radiohead, Manics thing playing driving but original rock type stuff. This morphed into heavier stuff with a more punk pop type direction with a lot of energy. After that it was more acoustic folky pop type of thing and I have finally reached acoustic pop with a motown, soul and 60's feel.

I have gone from jumping around stage playing driving guitar punk pop with the audience moshing and stage diving to sitting down in an acoustic unplugged group with people listening to each song.

[quote name='nick' post='1317489' date='Jul 26 2011, 07:18 PM']Constantly....
Though not necessarily changing direction, more taking to, adding different styles & tastes.
Guess its part of keeping an open mind musically, which can only be good. :)[/quote]
Me too.

My earliest memory in life is listening to my mum's Mothers Of Invention LPs, Absolutely Free and We're Only In It For The Money so, musically, anything goes and that's the way it has always been. I still primarily love rock and Metal and that's a large part of my playing time, but I've never had a change of direction as such, more like having a wander through a different door for a while.

I've opened my ears to a lot more folk style music recently since my attention has come to playing guitar more and more.

Aside from that I've never dropped a style of music in exchange for a different kind as such but like a few people have mentioned, my taste in music has evolved an unbelievable amount since I started playing bass 10 years ago. I tend to be a bit of a sponge when I listen to music and have a voracious appetite for everything.

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1317475' date='Jul 26 2011, 07:10 PM']I have played blues / rock for years.

My musical tastes have always centered around the blues genre.

The other day, after reading a few threads on here, I thought that I should try different styles to broaden my playing abilities.

I went out and bought some Earth, Wind and Fire CD's / DVD's.

Funky groove :)

I have spent the last two days playing along to the tracks as best I can.

I'm hooked!!!!!

Has anyone else had an change of direction with their musical tastes / playing styles?[/quote]

I played guitar for years before bass hooked me. ON guitar I was into rock/metal mostly. Although funk had been creeping in for a while.
Discovering bass made me abandon rock. Well, my first band on bass was a death metal band :lol: but three months later I was out, and my first gig was with a band doing a fusion of funk/rap/reggae/blues :)

I have moved from death/thrash metal (2005-2007) to punk (2007-10) to voodoo swamp blues (2010+), in the last case shifting to double bass. Am now rehearsing an all-acoustic spinoff of my latest band, featuring only four of the 14 (!) members. Thats quite a shift :)

[quote name='lojo' post='1317512' date='Jul 26 2011, 07:25 PM']Would going from Jazz to Rock be like shrinking ?[/quote]

Simple answer.. Nope..

I've started on Soul, R&B (90's), UK Garage, reggae, Dance, Fusion, Rock, Indie, Heavy Rock, Funk, Blues, Jazz, Metal, Folk, Pop... now I just listen to what feels good at the time..

Now if I do alot of rock.. I want to play something funky or soulful.. if I play alot of jazz/fusion I want to play something poppy

I like balance.. I do alot of stuff that overlaps, so it's very easy to jump from genre to genre in the same gig and even song

Absolutely!
Right now I'm well into a Guitar-hero phase. Rory Gallagher, Pat Methany, SRV, Fleetwood Mac, Hendrix etc and developing a style of bass playing that supports guitar solo'ing.
In the past, I've been in a disgusting Death metal/math/dub band and at the moment i'm playing in a atmosphericore band (see below). I'm also starting a covers band playing the aforementioned artists!

You gotta roll with the changes, otherwise you'll end up playing the same sh*t and you'll become a decent musician! For example, I still lvoe listening to death, but I just don't want to play it anymore. As a musician, I want to evolve.

Truckstop