Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 4003

Guest MoJo

7 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

Nowadays Rickenbacker basses are all maple through neck construction, so it's only the body wings that are walnut on the 4003W and 4003SW.

That was entirely the point 😉

IIRC, there's only been 2 Ric bass variations that weren't maple through necks, the 4000 (set neck) and the 4080 (bolt neck).

Though it would be interesting to see (hear) if there are any variations in sound between the standard 4003 and the 4003W.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skybone said:

IIRC, there's only been 2 Ric bass variations that weren't maple through necks, the 4000 (set neck) and the 4080 (bolt neck).

Though it would be interesting to see (hear) if there are any variations in sound between the standard 4003 and the 4003W.

My 4003SW was definitely more resonant and brighter sounding than my matte black 4003S 

20190609_000153.thumb.jpg.148cdaa59644f02c9562ced0f9b48814.jpg

• Like 3

On 04/01/2024 at 10:24, Doctor J said:

Or does it lose zing because the body is not maple. Aaaaah, we enter the tonewood paradox!

It's much brighter and the neck seems a lot faster.

Last night I messed around with the pull on 'vintage tone' knob for the first time.
It made the sound even clearer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, christhammer666 said:

this thread is not helping with my gear abstinence. id love a walnut 4003

I enjoyed abstaining in 2023, and also enjoyed the return to normal life on 2nd Jan 2024.

Thus I'm torn between advising where one can currently buy a Walnut 4003, or encouraging you in your abstinence. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PaulThePlug said:

It's that shape... but i like a rear route so would like to own a Cheyenne or Laredo and also gets a little contouring... I likes the Ibby SR body.

A 4003s then...

16 minutes ago, Simon C said:

Thus I'm torn between advising where one can currently buy a Walnut 4003, or encouraging you in your abstinence. 

I’ve had one on order for over a year. Like “hen’s teeth” over here. 

Soon folks will be selling their place in the order queue.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, BlueMoon said:

I’ve had one on order for over a year. Like “hen’s teeth” over here. 

Soon folks will be selling their place in the order queue.

Yep i think its much the same in UK for a new one.

Maybe they're going down the route of producing less but selling for more.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

I can see a lot of sales to new players who were previously put off by the old bridge and dual truss rods. I doubt Rickenbacker will increase manufacturing output so even longer waits in the future probably. 

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

I can see a lot of sales to new players who were previously put off by the old bridge and dual truss rods. I doubt Rickenbacker will increase output so even longer waits in the future probably. 

Must admit i prefer the new version with the push/pull tone thing. The modern tone would be more use in my current bands giving the best of both worlds.

I do fancy one again but would need to try it first as i only kept the one i had in 80's for about 6mths and got bored with it.

Love that shape tho.

Dave

51 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Must admit i prefer the new version with the push/pull tone thing. The modern tone would be more use in my current bands giving the best of both worlds.

I do fancy one again but would need to try it first as i only kept the one i had in 80's for about 6mths and got bored with it.

Love that shape tho.

Dave

The vintage push pull pot has been on the 4003 for a few years now. The bridge and truss rods are the new improvements.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

The vintage push pull pot has been on the 4003 for a few years now. The bridge and truss rods are the new improvements.

When did the bridge and truss rod changes come out ? just in case i decide to look at one.

Dave

49 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

When did the bridge and truss rod changes come out ? just in case i decide to look at one.

Dave

I'm not too sure, in the last year or so I believe. Hopefully someone with the knowledge will confirm. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, matbard said:

new bridge in 2020, new truss rod in 2023

I think the new truss rod may be a bit earlier.  Mine has a 2022 serial number (mid 2022 if you believe the week numbering really does mean the week it was manufactured) and a single truss rod.  It surprised both the guitar tech and I when he took the truss rod cover off.  He was in the shop when I bought it, so I took it into his workshop for him to give me 5 minutes training on how to adjust a double truss rod.  I adjusted it a couple of days ago - there is only one allen bolt to turn.  I guess 2022 doesn't mean it appeared in the UK in 2022 though. 

Edited by Simon C
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Love that shape tho.

Dave

Well Dave the next time your playing Methil club your more than welcome to try my one out. I’m only 10 mins if that from Lower Methil

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dov65 said:

Well Dave the next time your playing Methil club your more than welcome to try my one out. I’m only 10 mins if that from Lower Methil

You’re saying it’s good for Methil?😂

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, christhammer666 said:

this thread is not helping with my gear abstinence. id love a walnut 4003

I didn't realise you were participating - shall I add you into this year's abstinence thread formally?

30 minutes ago, Dov65 said:

Cheers @Dov65 appreciate the offer there but i'm more interested in why you haven't been to my bl**min gigs. :laugh1:

Kidding of course. :biggrin:

Dave

• Haha 1

I just sold my fretless 4003 but still have my fretted Rick. Made in 1983 I think? I had a real problem when I got the Rick at first.... it sounded terrible! But it was my playing, I was far too heavy a player. My other basses were obviously more forgiving but the Rick was clancking and buzzing and rattling. I had to just stop playing so hard which ironically has improved my playing overall.

rick.thumb.jpg.01a253665f22fc2de9f8ad7d0831987d.jpg

Edited by steviedee
  • Like 6