Why become a member? ×

No Glasto 'Look at that Bass!' Thread Yet?

merello

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1281717' date='Jun 25 2011, 12:25 AM']The man on the telly has just called Cee Lo Green 'One of the great modern day soul voices'.

Now, my knowledge of modern music isn't great, but Jesus... is he the best we can do?

Tell me it ain't so...

I like his outfit, though. Fair play to him for wearing that.[/quote]

Actually...saw a version he did of Reet Petite on Later and it was pretty damn good.
I think his material is pretty average ..from a song writing POV, but as an artist he is far from alone in that respect.
but his voice is way better than his catalogue. IMO, of course.

I am trying to think who would be one of the modern great soul voices to compare him with though... male, that is. Luther V..?? modern..?? ???

[quote name='JTUK' post='1281729' date='Jun 25 2011, 12:35 AM']Actually...saw a version he did of Reet Petite on Later and it was pretty damn good.
I think his material is pretty average ..from a song writing POV, but as an artist he is far from alone in that respect.
but his voice is way better than his catalogue. IMO, of course.

I am trying to think who would be one of the modern great soul voices to compare him with though... male, that is. Luther V..?? modern..?? ???[/quote]
I just think his voice is really limited... good band, though.

Modern soul? Flip knows who else is in the running... I'm so out of the loop. I do know that if he's one of the best, we're in trouble... :)

Cee lo green and Aloe Blacc are the closest chart musics come to soul and funk for a while. Unfortunately because most people who buy singles are girls my-ish age, they dont care for soul and want what they hear in the club last night. That is how pop is going, Lady Gaga's a good example.

I think Cee lo greens album is great, Bruno Mars was part of the team that wrote it, and i lso really like aloe blaccs album. Of course i would rather hear something by Tower of Power or Marvin Gaye but i dont see either being in the charts anytime soon :)

Agree with Legend being a bit of a throwback ..

I was watching a Sky Arts program about this very same thing..and Legend came up as a modern day great.
I don't think they were trying to compare modern day to people like Marvin Gaye or Al Green though.

[quote name='wez' post='1281708' date='Jun 25 2011, 12:15 AM']He was blowing on his hands at one point must be cold there. he's a very underated player imo.[/quote]

Nah, Mani had just forgotten his Harmonica!! :) :)

Thought Ceelo Green was good, and was nice to hear Morrisey again, even if he was a little low in the mix.

[quote name='merello' post='1281528' date='Jun 24 2011, 09:08 PM']BRilliant - Wilson or Fender!

Wait - what's Morrissey's bass player playing?
Maple Wal? Shergold? What is it? BBC3 (or 4) just now![/quote]
Small world, just saw one on totp 76 this week bassist for flintlock!
O

[quote name='JTUK' post='1281712' date='Jun 25 2011, 12:20 AM']I'd would be more concerned about a supposed headline act doing the same set that they have always done...forever and a day. Obviously song choices change but the treatemnet of the song never does or can..as they are still a basic 4 piece.

It is quite unusual for a major act to not augment/change the empahsias on a song throughout the years..or even re-invent to freshen things up...
In that respect U2 were dull..and the performance average.

Even if major major acts..and U2 should be at that level, in term of stature..... have to play crowd faves/hits, they haven't botherered about the songs..
I can't think of any act that would be so lax and basic.
That is why they deserve a panning, IMO.[/quote]

They're playing Glastonbury, to loads of people who have doubtless never seen them. The set was pretty much what I'd have wanted to see. I know lots of people (punters) who absolutley hate it when they go and see a band and they mess about with the songs and at a gig like that it would have been the last thing I'd have done.

FWIW I thought even with the weather and a slightly nervous start (Bono said when he got out there it was like a skating rink so he couldn't move that much) they were leagues better than anyone else I've seen at Glastonbury (and I'm not their biggest fan). I thought the songs fitted the occasion. Still, I expected to come on here and see them get slagged, because that's what we do best on the internet isn't it? :)

I'm a big fan of the Edge and I thought they played safe but Bono himself said it was the 1st time in about 25 years they had not been playing to 'their audience.' Looks like they did do a 'greatest hits' set but in the context of a festival, I thought it was spot on. Now Adam, if you are looking in and you have a spare CS bass........ :)

Watching the u2 set now. My take is they are properly awesome.

Reminds me of me learning elec gtr age 15 and learning all edges parts to Blood Red Sky.

Just my opinion, but they are superb. Songs, sound, playing. Bono forgot the chords in The Fly.

As I type, the intro to Streets have no name is on. Hairs on back of neck.

Enjoy

I like u2 and Adam Clayton is the perfect bass player for the band. After all, he`s the only one who has had the job! He does use an obscene amount of basses to get mostly the same sound. Was that a Wawick semi he was playing at one point?

To me, they seemed kind of Edgy (?) on stage, partly due to them being out of their comfort zone and let`s face it, the weather was shocking. I think that Edge was having problems with that pedal board as it was covered in polythene at one point.

Jez

I'm sorry, but the band has stood still for years... same format of ALL songs. They have some classics and a few belters but
they are like a faithful tribute band.

Now, I don't really care one way or another..but artistcally, they are as stale as ...... !!!!!!!!!!

As a tribute band, that is to be expected..but this is supposed to be one of the top bands in the world..and they put no effort at all into freshening songs up.

For that they get a canning and drop down in anyone's estimation, IMO.. They are an original act for chrissakes..even pubs bands realise that flogging the same song/format to death without trying to freshen them up is soul-destroying and massively limiting.

They have no choice as to what classic they can draw on... but at least give the songs a swerve here and there.
You can see that set played up and down the country by a zillion pub bands..

I would expect waaaaay better... it is either lazy, complacent and downright stagnant ..any of which does not befit a major major band of the last 25 years.

You wouldn't get it from Bowie or Gabriel and that is the sort of level they are at.. I really can't see any band doing it. Even the Foo's who have toured massively these last few years freshen up a gtr chord song.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' post='1282107' date='Jun 25 2011, 01:29 PM']I'm sorry, but the band has stood still for years... same format of ALL songs. They have some classics and a few belters but
they are like a faithful tribute band.

Now, I don't really care one way or another..but artistcally, they are as stale as ...... !!!!!!!!!!

As a tribute band, that is to be expected..but this is supposed to be one of the top bands in the world..and they put no effort at all into freshening songs up.

For that they get a canning and drop down in anyone's estimation, IMO.. They are an original act for chrissakes..even pubs bands realise that flogging the same song/format to death without trying to freshen them up is soul-destroying and massively limiting.

They have no choice as to what classic they can draw on... but at least give the songs a swerve here and there.
You can see that set played up and down the country by a zillion pub bands..

I would expect waaaaay better... it is either lazy, complacent and downright stagnant ..any of which does not befit a major major band of the last 25 years.

You wouldn't get it from Bowie or Gabriel and that is the sort of level they are at.. I really can't see any band doing it. Even the Foo's who have toured massively these last few years freshen up a gtr chord song.[/quote]

Have you heard their albums? Stood still? Hardly.

As for the pub band thing, er, this is the [i]original band[/i]. You could say that about anyone. And the Gabriel/Bowie comment is a bit weird; they're considered/expected to be fairly eclectic anyway. Not everyone needs to chop and change as much as they do. If I go and see Bowie, yes I might want/expect a few left turns, but if I go and see AC/DC I (and most fans) most definitely [i]don't want [/i]any left turns. If the songs are strong enough (always a matter of opinion) why change them? If it ain't broke etc...I just don't get your argument at all, other than arguably from a muso perspective. Which strangely enough, most punters aren't.....

Edited by 4000

[quote name='4 Strings' post='1281671' date='Jun 24 2011, 11:34 PM']Did you notice his techie pressing his pedal buttons for him?[/quote]

It is a little known fact that I once roadied for U2 at the Marquee all the way back in '79. My principal job was to hold on to this weird rack thing that housed Edges pedals to stop it falling over, lol.

I have to say that they were great to watch back then with Bono & Edge really giving it their all. I seem to remember Adam Clayton looking bored at times even in those days. . .