Why become a member? ×

No Glasto 'Look at that Bass!' Thread Yet?

merello

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' post='1281612' date='Jun 24 2011, 10:48 PM']Can't blame him for plugging his own gear!![/quote]

No, I meant the trainspotting element was a bit sad..

People use what they use...... sometimes I am not sure they use it for the sound...and their might be another agenda,...either way, I don't care much

Have t say..so far, on another slant....haven't seen a very good set by anyone, U2 were average, for example.. The crowd seem to be into it all though.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1281654' date='Jun 24 2011, 11:17 PM']No, I meant the trainspotting element was a bit sad..

People use what they use...... sometimes I am not sure they use it for the sound...and their might be another agenda,...either way, I don't care much

Have t say..so far, on another slant....haven't seen a very good set by anyone, U2 were average, for example.. The crowd seem to be into it all though.[/quote]

I think alot of time its beacuse they have aman ready waiting with a freshly tuned bass at the ready, possibly set up at a tuning to suit the song. If we could all have that luxury, i think we would, saves that annoying tuning between songs that us 'local' bands have to tolerate. Thats probably more the reason than showing off the arsenal, i think we all know the multi, multi millionaire clayton, probably has a few nice basses!!

Personally, i thought they were good, for a bunch of late 40's guys, i think they can still do it, lots of variety, great sound, mixed up the tracks, so they werent just played as the album tracks, plenty of energy, astronauts?, what more do you want?, I'm not their biggest fan by the way, but thought they were head and shoulders above the other sh*te i've heard today, if thats the best of todays music, then no wonder U2 are still going strong!

[quote name='JTUK' post='1281654' date='Jun 24 2011, 11:17 PM']Have t say..so far, on another slant....haven't seen a very good set by anyone, U2 were average, for example.. The crowd seem to be into it all though.[/quote]
Never comes across very well on the tele for me anyway. Although I can't say I'd want to be stood in a muddy field, in the night whilst the sky released 50 million gallons of water on to me :)

[quote name='4 Strings' post='1281671' date='Jun 24 2011, 11:34 PM']Did you notice his techie pressing his pedal buttons for him?[/quote]
How lazy is that? :)

Wish my guitarist would get someone to push his pedal buttons, might speed our set up a little :)

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' post='1281702' date='Jun 25 2011, 12:05 AM']Awesome. Best so far that I've seen.

Mani looked very uncomfortable in that military trench coat, but his playing was spot on, on a £300 bass too!!![/quote]
He was blowing on his hands at one point must be cold there. he's a very underated player imo.

Hmmm..my basses don't go out of tune in a set... so that wouldn't be a reason to change them..but I guess it is quicker to have them re-tuned by the tech..than have to bother yourself
The main reason they change basses would be sound or playability for that particular track..but anyway..the whim is theirs for whatever reason.

I'd would be more concerned about a supposed headline act doing the same set that they have always done...forever and a day. Obviously song choices change but the treatemnet of the song never does or can..as they are still a basic 4 piece.

It is quite unusual for a major act to not augment/change the empahsias on a song throughout the years..or even re-invent to freshen things up...
In that respect U2 were dull..and the performance average.

Even if major major acts..and U2 should be at that level, in term of stature..... have to play crowd faves/hits, they haven't botherered about the songs..
I can't think of any act that would be so lax and basic.
That is why they deserve a panning, IMO.

The man on the telly has just called Cee Lo Green 'One of the great modern day soul voices'.

Now, my knowledge of modern music isn't great, but Jesus... is he the best we can do?

Tell me it ain't so...

I like his outfit, though. Fair play to him for wearing that.

I thought U2 did ok, Clayton is not a bad bass player at all, no Wooten but who gives a f***?
His choice of bass was better than his choice of clothing, but again who cares?
Bono is offensive, but U2 are still good.
Morrissey was good, and good call on the 4040 I spotted it too.
Mani really looked wired, but the Epi sounded fantastic.

[quote name='simon1964' post='1281713' date='Jun 25 2011, 12:21 AM']+1. his stuff for Primal Scream is good, but IMO his playing with Stone Roses stuff is sublime.[/quote]
Definately same opinion here. Never learnt to play his stone roses parts would just destroy the music for me