Why become a member? ×

Bass guitar shipping box

aceuggy

[quote name='paul h' post='1271724' date='Jun 16 2011, 04:03 PM']Buy a new bass and use the box it's delivered in.

:)[/quote]

Need to know what time it is? Simply pop into Argos and buy a cheap wristwatch. The time will be printed on the till receipt.

Or you could buy this box:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Large-Acoustic-Bass-Guitar-CARDBOARD-BOX-packaging-136x-/300567965517?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item45fb3f2f4d"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Large-Acoustic-Bass-...=item45fb3f2f4d[/url]

This guy (who i know and is a guitarist) is seriously selling off cardboard boxes that he gets for free when his stock is delivered. He must have got the idea from peeps selling on Ebay going into his shop asking for boxes and being the tight fisted cnut that he is decided to sell them. Sure, some will say good luck to him. I say,

No, you are a tight-ass, mean spirited tiny minded ahole.

What particularly galls is that last time i spoke to him he mentioned that he started playing bass in a local band though he is a guitarist and finds it all a bit easy. I heard him play and it wasn't pretty.

[quote name='BottomE' post='1271797' date='Jun 16 2011, 04:41 PM']This guy (who i know and is a guitarist) is seriously selling off cardboard boxes that he gets for free when his stock is delivered. He must have got the idea from peeps selling on Ebay going into his shop asking for boxes and being the tight fisted cnut that he is decided to sell them. Sure, some will say good luck to him. I say,

No, you are a tight-ass, mean spirited tiny minded ahole.[/quote]
When I was shipping a Hiwatt head to the USA I had the brainwave of asking MG in Leeds for a Hiwatt box. Jason - for it was he - charged me £26 for an empty box, which he said was all they used for shiping internationally :)

[quote name='neepheid' post='1271719' date='Jun 16 2011, 04:01 PM']Send it with the neck detatched, might be easier to find a smaller box?[/quote]
^ This, it's what I did sending my Gretch Bo Diddley back to here from New York, worked a treat. With lot's of bubblewrap, gaffa & cardboard between the two bits.

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='1271809' date='Jun 16 2011, 04:46 PM']Jason - for it was he - charged me £26 for an empty box, which he said was all they used for shiping internationally :)[/quote]

I don't know what's worse... Someone charging £26 for a box or someone being stupid enough to buy it!

[quote name='skej21' post='1271832' date='Jun 16 2011, 04:57 PM']I don't know what's worse... Someone charging £26 for a box or someone being stupid enough to buy it![/quote]
Yeah, I did feel stupid doing it, I did tell him what I thought, reputation earned etc. But the buyer at the other end just taggged it onto the shipping costs.

[quote name='skej21' post='1271832' date='Jun 16 2011, 04:57 PM']I don't know what's worse... Someone charging £26 for a box or someone being stupid enough to buy it![/quote]

Someone once sent me a guitar by Standard Parcels just in bubble wrap in a gig bag. Not only wasn't it protected properly, but because it wasn't in a double-walled cardboard box the insurance was invalid. Luckily there was only minor damage. What would you ship a Hiwatt head in, wrapping paper?

If you don't ship in a proper box you aren't insured, and if you sell to someone on fleabay or similar and damage occurs in transit it's [b]you[/b] that's liable. Personally I'd prefer to pay for a proper shipping carton. Thanks for the pointer to the tight-fisted one :)

Incidentally I used to be able to get boxes for free from my local store but since the whole mail order thing took off they aren't chucking them away...

ficelles

With the Hiwatt box I added padded corners that I had from an amp that had been sent back from Marshall after a service. So Hiwatt was in a proper box, padded - I then put it into another box that was a fair bit bigger, I had polystyrene chips on all sides about 4" deep, used two rolls of gaffer tape to wrap it all.......... and it still managed to have a smashed mains light when it got to the other side. No other damage - just that. Still can't figure out how. :)
Buyer was still happy as a pig in sh*t cos it had belonged to Dave Hill from Slade.

[quote name='ficelles' post='1272566' date='Jun 17 2011, 11:32 AM']Someone once sent me a guitar by Standard Parcels just in bubble wrap in a gig bag.[/quote]
An all-mahogany Dasiy Rock les paul jnr type guitar with fixed-neck I bought on ebay arrived wrapped in a single layer of bubble wrap with loads of clingfilm & sellotape - nothing else. My heart sank when it arrived as I was convinced the headstock would have snapped at some point in its journey, so I took a few pics on my phone before opening it - for proof of how it was packaged. Amazingly it had survived and was 100% intact.

[quote name='ficelles' post='1272566' date='Jun 17 2011, 11:32 AM']Someone once sent me a guitar by Standard Parcels just in bubble wrap in a gig bag. Not only wasn't it protected properly, but because it wasn't in a double-walled cardboard box the insurance was invalid. Luckily there was only minor damage. What would you ship a Hiwatt head in, wrapping paper?

If you don't ship in a proper box you aren't insured, and if you sell to someone on fleabay or similar and damage occurs in transit it's [b]you[/b] that's liable. Personally I'd prefer to pay for a proper shipping carton. Thanks for the pointer to the tight-fisted one :)

Incidentally I used to be able to get boxes for free from my local store but since the whole mail order thing took off they aren't chucking them away...

ficelles[/quote]

I received a 1979 Rickenbacker 4000 a couple of years ago in a gig bag with a burst zip which was only held together with some brown tape. No bubble wrap, no box, no effort. Amazingly it arrived by Parcel Farce entirely unscathed.

I've sent a sh*t load of stuff and personally the most important part of the packaging is how you wrap the bass itself. I buy myself 50 or 100m rolls of bubblewrap as and when required to wrap the bass thoroughly, simply because I'm always buying and selling stuff. The size or shape of the box is unimportant. Its nice to have one the right size but the last bass I posted was in a box that I cobbled together from 2 boxes.

And no courier will insure a guitar that's not in a hard case so you're boned regardless of whether you pay the extra or not.

Edited by Delberthot