Why become a member? ×

Why are there so many Fenders/MM basses for sale???

TheGreek

Maybe beause a lot of people love them and pour out all their emotions about them here. Someone reads it and thinks 'that's the bass for me'. Buys it and then wonders what all the fuss is about so sell them.

Fenders aren't everyone's ideal instruments just like TC, Markbass and whatever is currently flavour of the month either but generally if you love what you have then you're going to tell everyone eactly how great it is.

I love my current setup but there ain't a single piece of trendy or fashionable gear amongst it - except maybe the Boss OC-2. I go on about how great my stuff is but generally get ignored cos it ain't the in thing.

I've kind of rambled there - the second being that the Fender bass is the original mass produced and accepted bass so I suppose everyone has to try one ( or ten) to find out what the fuss is about and decide whether or not its for them or not.

The third is probably people 'upgrading' from a MIM to a MIA ( The MIA precision is without a doubt the most disappointing bass I ever owned, the best was my E Series MIJ)

There will be other reasons and perhaps some of what I have said is sh*te but sometimes Fender is made out to be the be all and end all of basses - I've even seen threads where people have said that 'I have X Y and Z, all I need now is a Fender' Why?

Judge (to bank robber, being sentenced for the umpteenth time): [color="#0000FF"][i][b]Why do you keep robbing banks?[/b][/i][/color]

Willie Sutton (according to folklore):[color="#8B0000"] [i][b]Because that's where they keep the money.[/b][/i][/color]

Sometimes, there's no substitute for just stating the blindingly obvious.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1269827' date='Jun 15 2011, 11:14 AM']Maybe beause a lot of people love them and pour out all their emotions about them here. Someone reads it and thinks 'that's the bass for me'. Buys it and then wonders what all the fuss is about so sell them...
...There will be other reasons and perhaps some of what I have said is sh*te but sometimes Fender is made out to be the be all and end all of basses - I've even seen threads where people have said that 'I have X Y and Z, all I need now is a Fender' Why?[/quote]

When I was saving for my first new bass (after my s/h Westone), I decided to try a Fender Jazz, and liked the shape and balance of the instrument, and it seemed logical to aspire to something I'd tried and liked.
Ultimately, I saved up too much (!) and had a budget 3 times greater than a Jazz would've cost, so I opted for a Fiver instead,
and after rooting through loads of stuff at The (Wapping) Bass Centre, purchased a Vigier!
Which brings me neatly to the second point.
I had X,Y&Z (Vigier, Warwick, Musciman, Yamaha Attitude, Ibanez), but still felt there was a place in the collection for a Jazz.
With a good collection behind me, there was no rush, and I simply tried every one I saw until I found a corker and bought it;

Ash-bodied 2004 MIA S1 Jazz in Trans Sunset Orange. Currently strung with DR Sunbeams. Really nice bass. Perhaps I should tweak the action a smidge lower. Then again, perhaps I shouldn't!

Maybe I just like the Ergonomics of the Jazz in general?
Not so keen on the Precision...
But that's just me.

Personally, if I suddenly wanted a black guitar, I'd sell my Jazz so I could buy a black one. There's so many different colours, styles, shapes, pre-amp/pick-up options that you can get an instrument suitable for any style. I think a lot of people sell their Fenders so that they can buy a different one to suit their needs better.

For example, I sold my '54 RI because I needed a 5er, not because I didnt like it anymore.

Truckstop

This forum makes people sell because it makes them want to buy. Lots of people own fenders so it stands to reason that a lot of people will have one to sell when looking to fund the next purchase. It's all about the GAS.

Fenders are like marmite and lets face it that's one of the most recognisable brands there is.

[quote name='willyf87' post='1270168' date='Jun 15 2011, 02:38 PM']I own nothing but squiers and fenders, what can I say they are just safe for me. I wish fender would give you a choice of neck profile though.[/quote]

They do - Precision or Jazz!

I think that Basschat gets us thinking more too - making us aware of what's out there - tempting us to try different instruments.

I've largely gone back to being a Fender die hard after a spell with more boutique basses. They don't have to cost the earth , they have a (allbeit basic) sound that I find pleasing , folk are used to hearing , there's bugger all to go wrong and even if it did I can fix it easily.

As a gigging player it's all I want really. I like to have something simple and reliable so I can crack on with being an entertainer rather than a technician/collector.

[quote name='TheGreek' post='1269810' date='Jun 15 2011, 10:59 AM']With so many lauding their praises on both Fenders and MM basses why are there so many in the "For Sale" thread??[/quote]
I was in a supermarket yesterday. They had all the major brands for sale there too. It's political correctness gone mad I tell you.

I've said this countless times but:

I get GAS when I'm not busy playing all the time.

When I [b]AM[/b] playing a lot, I don't need anything but my Fender. It gets me through gigs & recordings and I get paid. When I show up with something else, I'm usually asked if I could play the Fender please.

There are more Fenders out there than any other bass guitar. So there are more for sale. And they will always be desirable to buyers.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1270122' date='Jun 15 2011, 02:00 PM']Considering the relatively small numbers produced, I've always wondered why there are so many USA PRS's for sale out there.[/quote]

Because once you get past the name, the pretty tops, the price and all the testosterone-fuelled anticipation they are actually fairly ordinary guitars that often sound a bit thin.

[quote name='mrtcat' post='1272087' date='Jun 16 2011, 08:40 PM']Fenders are like marmite and lets face it that's one of the most recognisable brands there is.[/quote]
Does that mean you can't buy Fenders in Denmark, even though you can get them in Denmark Street?

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='1272539' date='Jun 17 2011, 11:09 AM']Because once you get past the name, the pretty tops, the price and all the testosterone-fuelled anticipation they are actually fairly ordinary guitars that often sound a bit thin.[/quote]

I presume your talking about PRS 6 string guitars here then I have to thoroughly disagree with your comments.

Our guitarist has two superb PRS's purchased in the USA and his sound is anything but thin when playing through his Cornell Amp and 4x12 Cab.

We have played several large gigs and recorded in studios and the comments from all the sound engineers have been what a great guitar tone/sound he has.

[quote name='steantval' post='1273154' date='Jun 17 2011, 08:36 PM']I presume your talking about PRS 6 string guitars here then I have to thoroughly disagree with your comments.

Our guitarist has two superb PRS's purchased in the USA and his sound is anything but thin when playing through his Cornell Amp and 4x12 Cab.

We have played several large gigs and recorded in studios and the comments from all the sound engineers have been what a great guitar tone/sound he has.[/quote]

Maybe he got the 2 good ones?

:)

I did say 'often' sound a bit thin. Santana doesn't sound thin, nor does Johnny Hiland, but IME a lot of PRSs do sound thin and a bit characterless, very much like Ibanez guitars. It's not just the players either - I've tried a few myself, but they've almost always been handed back quickly, then only except being a Johnny Hiland sig. I'd like to try a 245, because Rob Chappers made one sound so good, but OTOH I've heard recordings by other guitarists using a 245 and that sounded thin too.

Guitars are highly variable, and just like with Gibson, Fender et al, PRS are variable in tone, though usually consistent in providing a pretty finish and accurate assembly.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1270122' date='Jun 15 2011, 06:00 AM']Considering the relatively small numbers produced, I've always wondered why there are so many USA PRS's for sale out there.[/quote]
I thought they made those by the bazillions. Their NAMM booth is always packed and some of the stores out here will have dozens on the walls.