Why become a member? ×

BassDayUK 2011 16th October

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1268855' date='Jun 14 2011, 04:39 PM']Stevie Williams is the man and played a great opening set last year, The quality of players and gear can't be found in such a close environment anywhere else but the slap just doesn't stop year on year!

Who is going?[/quote]
Stevie is an old mate and is a dynamite player, I'm sure the slap thing feels abit beyond their control but I just think it's a great thing that they have created. I have yet to go because every year I've had a gig, but as soon as I'm able I will go along.

He is a great player and a top guy too Jake. We have been over the slap thing lots of times I know, I have said a few times that they should have a baton that gets passed from stall to stall and only the stall with the Barton can have amplified sound. Word is that the traders feel they pay so much that they think any limits on them would infringe on possible sales where I think it shows most of the products in a bad light where a more focussed time slot would be better and leave serious punters ears in tact after to discuss with the traders/luthiers about purchasing or just arranging a proper viewing at the traders normal place of work etc.

The Bar is a good call but it's still near the racket!

[quote name='steve-soar' post='1268911' date='Jun 14 2011, 05:27 PM']I think there should be a "slap box", similar to a swear box, were any bassist wishing to flash any slap chops has to put a pound in the box.[/quote]
Great idea. It has to extend to the demonstrators too though.

We all know what a big bass amp sounds like and in that setting its never going to be EQ'd to your own personal tastes anyway IMO. I also had an idea about loud rooms, Lots of seperate rooms even classrooms around the building where anyone serious about trying basses at gig level could choose to go with the luthiers to an Ashdown room or a Markbass room etc with a few chosen examples for a 5 minute slot or something (Im making this up as I go so bear with me :) ) then all volume in the trade area [u]must[/u] be kept reasonable. Oh and no slap! Ha

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1268929' date='Jun 14 2011, 05:41 PM']We all know what a big bass amp sounds like and in that setting its never going to be EQ'd to your own personal tastes anyway IMO. I also had an idea about loud rooms, Lots of seperate rooms even classrooms around the building where anyone serious about trying basses at gig level could choose to go with the luthiers to an Ashdown room or a Markbass room etc with a few chosen examples for a 5 minute slot or something (Im making this up as I go so bear with me :) ) then all volume in the trade area [u]must[/u] be kept reasonable. Oh and no slap! Ha[/quote]

Believe it or not but all of the rooms are booked all the time. I study at RNCM and bar a few open rooms on the top floor, everything is booked & well used by students.

[quote name='J.R.Bass' post='1269501' date='Jun 15 2011, 12:30 AM']Believe it or not but all of the rooms are booked all the time. I study at RNCM and bar a few open rooms on the top floor, everything is booked & well used by students.[/quote]
Back to my pass the baton (or one kettle lead :) ) idea then.

I'll be there again. Glad I took my earplugs last time - the only thing that saved me from the percussive tedium. I seem to spend too much time looking at stuff and not playing it when i'm there, need to change that.

[quote name='blackmn90' post='1268932' date='Jun 14 2011, 05:44 PM']If i volunteer as "the slap police" and tell off anyone slapping can i go free? Il even wear a no slap t shirt and il have a flashing light on a hat but ofc that could be an issue with any pregnant ladies who may want a wee :)[/quote]

Does double thumbing count under the same category as 'slapcrap'? :)

I'll be going again this year. Must say I didn't enjoy last year as much as previous years. Having 3 solo players didn't do it for me. As an aside I'm off to see Stevie and his band tomorrow night. Always an absolutely knockout gig with some stellar playing.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1268892' date='Jun 14 2011, 05:11 PM']He is a great player and a top guy too Jake. We have been over the slap thing lots of times I know, I have said a few times that they should have a baton that gets passed from stall to stall and only the stall with the Barton can have amplified sound. Word is that the traders feel they pay so much that they think any limits on them would infringe on possible sales where I think it shows most of the products in a bad light where a more focussed time slot would be better and leave serious punters ears in tact after to discuss with the traders/luthiers about purchasing or just arranging a proper viewing at the traders normal place of work etc.

The Bar is a good call but it's still near the racket![/quote]

I think if Joey Barton is passed from stall to stall he'll soon kick-off.....!