Why become a member? ×

Trade Tang

merello

Yes, I've been wondering about this. :)

As we are all on the look-out for fake Fender/Gibson/Ric etc, so we don't end up
buying a pup, it seems odd that under our noses is an advert for Fake Guitars! :lol:

Surely it can't be a good thing to encourage it??

I remember seeing their site last year, which clearly showed the face of the heads and
on the rear, Made in USA and the serial number. . . . . . . complete with a VERY convincing
case, to boot!
They don't show that now but efectively they are selling known brand instruments for a few hundred $$$

Is this right? :D

Answers on a post card. :)

Likewise, I may be wrong but I assumed they were cheap, good quality copies of Western brands but essentially flouting copyright/patents. Not something that should be encouraged in a legitimate bass forum IMHO

Besides I prefer the semi-clad ladies in the figleaves ad :)

A couple of friends of mine bought some tasty flame-topped Les Paul fakes from TradeTang and they're lovely to play...and VERY convincing!
Regardless of the legalities of such instruments, more of a worry is that there seems to be a lot of scamming on that site - google it...

[quote name='Clarky' post='1260684' date='Jun 8 2011, 07:58 AM']Likewise, I may be wrong but I assumed they were cheap, good quality copies of Western brands but essentially flouting copyright/patents. Not something that should be encouraged in a legitimate bass forum IMHO

Besides I prefer the semi-clad ladies in the figleaves ad :)[/quote]

I assume it pays the bills. Where you spend your money after is up to you!

I may have made this up but I think in China whoever trademarks a brand name first has the legal right to use it.

So if I was first, I could've trademark the name Fender if Fender hadn't done it first and sell guitars under the Fender name in China

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1261415' date='Jun 8 2011, 04:29 PM']I assume it pays the bills. Where you spend your money after is up to you![/quote]
The theory is one of us buy one as a bit of fun and taste of the real thing which even the real manufacturers don't mind because often we gas for the real deal after (see Rolex watches etc) the problem comes when someone sells them on with less honourable intentions, see my more fun on the eBay thread for an example of someone being out of pocket for £360 for a very poor copy stingray with 8 pages of debate yet I flagged it correctly as fake in post #1 imagine if it was a good fake we would be arguing forever over it!

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='Clarky' post='1260684' date='Jun 8 2011, 07:58 AM']Likewise, I may be wrong but I assumed they were cheap, good quality copies of Western brands but essentially flouting copyright/patents. Not something that should be encouraged in a legitimate bass forum IMHO

Besides I prefer the semi-clad ladies in the figleaves ad :)[/quote]

Semi-clad ladies in figleaves? I might need to turn Adblock off.

[quote name='Machines' post='1261439' date='Jun 8 2011, 04:51 PM']They're all Google ads, we don't determine what shows up.[/quote]
Not particularly criticising BC, it's just I wonder:
[list]
[*]How good the instruments are?
[*]Would they tempt anyone?
[*]When reselling, are they easy to spot or could someone be scammed? The Les Pauls look killer.
[/list]

[url="http://www.tradetang.com/for-sale/sex-toys-bondage-gear-chastity-belt-SOUNDING-Male-Urethral-Stretching/127319-2105098.html"]It's not just instruments...[/url] :) :)

(That link's fairly NSFW, by the way. I mean, there are no actual naughty bits involved, but... heavens. You can just imagine it.)

• 7 months later...

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1307548275' post='1261439']
They're all Google ads, we don't determine what shows up.
[/quote]
Err. Yes you do. Your Google Adwords control panel allows you to block categories of adverts AND it also allows you to block specific sites. So the dude who does that at Basschat could block that site ..... and any other site which you don't like the look of. It's only a couple of keystrokes and it's done instantly

[quote name='BottomEndian' timestamp='1307784255' post='1264692']
[url="http://www.tradetang.com/for-sale/sex-toys-bondage-gear-chastity-belt-SOUNDING-Male-Urethral-Stretching/127319-2105098.html"]It's not just instruments...[/url] :) :)

(That link's fairly NSFW, by the way. I mean, there are no actual naughty bits involved, but... heavens. You can just imagine it.)
[/quote]

Ouch!!

Edited by chrismuzz

[quote name='BottomEndian' timestamp='1307784255' post='1264692']
[url="http://www.tradetang.com/for-sale/sex-toys-bondage-gear-chastity-belt-SOUNDING-Male-Urethral-Stretching/127319-2105098.html"]It's not just instruments...[/url] :o :unsure:

[/quote]

No thank you!

I recall someone on Talkbass talking about how a friend of his ordered a 'Fauxdera' Lincoln Goines model from Tradetang, and he reckoned it was a superb bass, almost indistinguishable from a real Fodera for a fraction of the price. Would I buy something like that! Indeed I would, if I could find one. I'd be honest about it if I sold it on, though really no-one should get scammed buying a fake Fodera...they're so rare you could just email the Fodera guys the serial number and see when they made it.

cant help but GAS after this...

[url="http://www.tradetang.com/for-sale/2011-New-Arrival-Hollow-electric-4-strings-bass-red/146448-2830327.html"]http://www.tradetang.com/for-sale/2011-New-Arrival-Hollow-electric-4-strings-bass-red/146448-2830327.html[/url]#

My favourite:

[url="http://www.tradetang.com/for-sale/Wholesale-New-Arrival-brand-new-4-string-electric-bass-in-wooden/146448-2829703.html"]http://www.tradetang.com/for-sale/Wholesale-New-Arrival-brand-new-4-string-electric-bass-in-wooden/146448-2829703.html[/url]

Got a laugh at the light blue StingRay with a Sabre decal on the headstock. From a distance though you couldn't tell.

Same couldn't be said for the Ricky copies; the bridge and treble pickups are light years away from the real ones. Didn't notice any headstock badges either.

In my years in the murky business of music instruments I have heard some amazing tales about these sites.

Some of it is OEM, ie after work a few of the guys sneak in and use the machines and wood and everything to build more instruments which they then take home to sell via sites like trade tang.

When I used to work for a large home audio company we suffered huge volumes of fake in ear headphones being made in China then sold via places like eBay, Amazon and Trade tang, when they got to the root of how it had happened it became clear that although the internals were duff and bascially the cheapest they could find the bodies were identical to the real ones, someone had stolen or copied a mould from the factory in China and was casting them eleswhere, basically making the headphones visually indestinguisable to the untrained eye.