Why become a member? ×

Queen

bassace

Never got to see them. I would have been just old enough to see them at Live aid and the Kind of Magic tour.

Saw the program on Monday. There have been many documentaries on Queen but that is probably the first time I've heard John Deacon speaking.

Guest MoJo

I saw them shortly after they released the 'Live Killers' album at the NEC, about 1980 or 81. One of the best live bands I've ever seen

I watched it and allowed my 12-year old daughter to watch it. I think she enjoyed the music, although it's a bit difficult to tell at that age. She stayed to the end anyway.

Like Bilbo, I found the programme quite moving. Particularly the bit where you were made aware that Freddy never complained at the end and was genuinely concerned about how his condition was affecting others. The band came across as genuine and level headed - in contrast to many of the empty-headed noodles that populate today's pop charts. They are (were) also extremely talented within their own genre as songwriters and musicians.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1251125' date='May 31 2011, 09:46 AM']Watched the 1st prog but missed 2nd. Love hearing and watching early Queen stuff but there is that point in their career where they went too mainstream and lost it for me... IMHO. :)[/quote]

Inadvertently got this the wrong way round, love early queen. but only saw the 2nd part last night. Would rather have seen the first... after the 80s began they went wrong.

Watched them and loved them both - I have loved Queen since my brother lent me their Greatest Hits vinyl album when I was 10! Of course at that age I did not understand a lot of Freddie's image and what it meant!!

I still love their music as much today as I always did although do not listen to it as much as I used to years ago. I found the last 15 mins very sad and brought a tear to my eye. In some ways it is fitting that Freddie died the way he did, I could never have seen him still pumping out mediocre rock ballads in his 50's or 60's simply not his style.

I think that John Deacon had the right idea and bowed out after the Freddie tribute gig I never understood why Brian and Roger tried to carry on with the name Queen what was the point?

[quote name='bassace' post='1251106' date='May 31 2011, 09:32 AM']Anybody see them? The last 15 mins were very moving - an excellent documentary about a great band and much loved charismatic singer.[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1251234' date='May 31 2011, 11:17 AM']I never understood why Brian and Roger tried to carry on with the name Queen what was the point?[/quote]

Its their call. I have no problem with people trying to carry on. Its just whether the future direction has its own place in the scheme of things. Genesis after Gabriel left, Van Halen without Dave Lee Roth, Maiden without Dianno, Yes after Anderson moved on, - all had massive success in their own right. Mercury would be a tough act to follow but its not impossible.

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1251234' date='May 31 2011, 11:17 AM']I think that John Deacon had the right idea and bowed out after the Freddie tribute gig I never understood why Brian and Roger tried to carry on with the name Queen what was the point?[/quote]

That can go both ways, I guess.

Altho you couldn't replace Mercury's stage personna or Deacon's part in the band history, you end up with a better band still playing songs that are loved by many. For a start you aren't confined by a 4 piece anymore.
I understand Deacon's POV...but he has done the gig and doesn't fancy it anymore, apparently ...but the other two have a back catalogue and can insert new guys and still do a show...which people want to see.

Depending on your POV..this can seem crass or ok, but the other guys aren't to blame because 1 died and the other doesn't want to cary on.

Personally, I like to see people step out of their comfort zone/gig..and May isn't bad at it.

Altho they were never my cup of tea, they seem genuine enough to want to play..and if they are still wanting to do that..and don't we all...people are going to DEMAND a few old hits.

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1251234' date='May 31 2011, 11:17 AM']I think that John Deacon had the right idea and bowed out after the Freddie tribute gig I never understood why Brian and Roger tried to carry on with the name Queen what was the point?[/quote]

Brian May commented that once you've experienced the 'rockstar thing' it's hard to give it up, though Deacon obviously didn't feel the same way. I tend to agree about the Queen name though; Mercury was such a dominant part of the band that it really can't be Queen without him. Still, tribute bands are quite popular these days. :)

The point taken from the 2nd documentary is that Queen had pretty much done all their best material before the Hot Space album and then split to do solo projects. They really had no intention of playing as Queen again until Midge Ure convinced Freddie to play Live Aid. Then they reformed to tour and Freddie became ill. At this point they scrapped the idea that they should have individual credits for each song and credited all their songs as Queen. This set them off in a new direction and some amazing music followed.

I'm sure there is a Bass Chatter who has studied Queen and written a book but can't remember who.

John Deacon did a solo album but was a Soundtrack and not well known compared to the "Rock Stars" Roger and Brian efforts.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1251234' date='May 31 2011, 11:17 AM']I never understood why Brian and Roger tried to carry on with the name Queen what was the point?[/quote]

Money/Finance/Business.
At the end of the day the brand name 'Queen' was still very financially viable.
And of course it all led to the stage show 'We will Rock you' which is a huge world wide hit,
which in turn still helps shift shed loads of Queen albums.
Weather or not that was [i]their[/i] intention, or being urged by their record company - who knows?
But it sure worked.

A very good viewing i thought.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

Missed the documentary myself; sounded good.

Queen get a lot of flak for being a little "uncool" these days, but I think it's undeserving to be honest (and probably has a lot to do with Ben Elton...).

I used to listen to them all the time as a kid. Tracks like Radio Ga Ga; Another One Bites; Fat Bottom Girls; and of course Bohemian Rhapsody were particular favourites of mine at the time.

All quite cheesy, but I'm sure they still have some influence on me today... I still find myself humming 'I Want to Break Free' on the rare occasions that Mrs Skol entrusts me with the hoover ;-)

I loved Queen, thought they were great. Am really annoyed abt the two-parter - my TV Mag said last nights one started at 10.30, so missed the first 30 mins.

A great band. Re the going on without Freddie - kindof agree, kindof don`t. I think, after seeing the 1992 concert, that George Michael would have done a great job on the vocals, but for flamboyancy and showmanship, well Freddie Mercury really was a one-off, and any concerts without him, well it wouldn`t have been the same.

And I too was very moved about how he was concerned over how his condition was affecting others. The sign of a really decent man.

Yeah that was kind of my point - Deacon went out with style at the top of his game. Queen without Mercury is like a car without an engine IMHO!!

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1251251' date='May 31 2011, 11:26 AM']Brian May commented that once you've experienced the 'rockstar thing' it's hard to give it up, though Deacon obviously didn't feel the same way. I tend to agree about the Queen name though; Mercury was such a dominant part of the band that it really can't be Queen without him. Still, tribute bands are quite popular these days. :)[/quote]

I doubt that Deacon, Taylor and May really needed the money!

It was interesting to see that they did not make any money at all off the first three albums because of a bad record deal.

[quote name='lowdown' post='1251278' date='May 31 2011, 11:45 AM']Money/Finance/Business.
At the end of the day the brand name 'Queen' was still very financially viable.
And of course it all led to the stage show 'We will Rock you' which is a huge world wide hit,
which in turn still helps shift shed loads of Queen albums.
Weather or not that was [i]their[/i] intention, or being urged by their record company - who knows?
But it sure worked.

A very good viewing i thought.

Garry[/quote]

It was an amazing program. I have never been really huge Queen fan but have always enjoyed reading about their commitment to their music because production wise it really was unparalleled by anyone at the time, and Freddie was just so charismatic that it would be impossible not to love him. No one had done vocals like they did since the Beach Boys really, it was a great watch.

Really enjoying watching these on iplayer, thanks for the heads up bassace.

A shame John Deacon is quite so reclusive, I'd love to hear him talk about his approach to bass playing. But I suppose the documentary was more about the biog than the music anyway! I wonder if he ever plays for fun these days, I can't imagine walking away from it so completely.

Agree - I don't think I have ever heard John Deacon talk much about his bass playing and would love to know more about it. He is a great player and I particularly enjoyed watching his sunburst Stingray on the Another One Bites The Dust clip!

I don't think he plays at all these days.

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1251491' date='May 31 2011, 01:53 PM']Really enjoying watching these on iplayer, thanks for the heads up bassace.

A shame John Deacon is quite so reclusive, I'd love to hear him talk about his approach to bass playing. But I suppose the documentary was more about the biog than the music anyway! I wonder if he ever plays for fun these days, I can't imagine walking away from it so completely.[/quote]

[quote name='risingson' post='1251328' date='May 31 2011, 12:26 PM']It was an amazing program. I have never been really huge Queen fan but have always enjoyed reading about their commitment to their music because production wise it really was unparalleled by anyone at the time, and Freddie was just so charismatic that it would be impossible not to love him. No one had done vocals like they did since the Beach Boys really, it was a great watch.[/quote]

Agree they were some pretty excellent programs, not sure about the entirely unparalleled production, 10cc's "I'm not in love" could arguably be one of the cleverist bits of production of all time

Read up on it [url="http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun05/articles/classictracks.htm"]here[/url].

Very very clever stuff!

That apart though Queen did sound damn fine, I dont think they sounded better than Abba did though, as good, but not better (purely talking production here, regardless of whether or not you dig the tracks)

[quote name='JTUK' post='1251138' date='May 31 2011, 10:02 AM']I did enjoy Paul Rogers and an augmented band cover some of their songs with May and Taylor otherwise it is just too weak for me. ..again IMHO.[/quote]

Same here. Ive not seen the programs this thread is talking about (yet) but i did catch a fairly recent gig with Rogers and i much prefer him as a front man.

There, ive said it.

Im not saying he is better, just that i personally prefer him. I also liked some of the Bad Company/Free songs they did, good songs with a new sound.