Why become a member? ×

John Paul Jones playing bass for Seasick Steve

[quote name='OzMike' post='1235141' date='May 18 2011, 03:58 AM']'tube link:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beXuw-x166o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beXuw-x166o[/url]

The bass was mixed way too low, IMHO. Does JPJ always leave the pickup covers on? Guess it's ok if you pluck right on the end of the fingerboard.[/quote]
I've just watched it on the iPlayer thingy. Yep - the bass is there, but it's barely audible. And very scooped.

But still - my God.. how mediocre is he? (SS, not JPJ)

Good that I'm not alone in thinking this was totally lacklustre. JPJ was barely audible but (as much as I think he's amazing) even then wouldn't have saved the set from being a re-hash of so many things done before.
Seasick Steve is often revered on music forums on account of his authenticity, a characteristic which I find expertly affected, so it's great that there are many here who see beyond that.

[quote name='RhysP' post='1234329' date='May 17 2011, 02:23 PM']I saw him in the 12 Bar club in Denmark St. years ago (didn't go to see him, he was supporting somebody else) & he was absolute f***ing rubbish.
Haven't seen or heard anything that has made me think otherwise to this day.[/quote]

Ive seen buskers on the london underground that have way more talent but maybe im just not in to his sort of music.

JPJ is pretty average as well :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1234232' date='May 17 2011, 01:05 PM']I never got the Seasick Steve adulation... Isn't he Country Blues for people who buy CDs from ASDA?

*ducks behind rock*[/quote]

i doubt if anyone will give SS a gig in the US, and JPJ finally gets to do a gig with the Muppets :)

why does he do do it, wasn't JPJ on the show a while back?

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1235069' date='May 17 2011, 11:29 PM']nope I couldnt hear any bass either. I though it was because I was on the wee telly in the bedroom but i guess not!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]
later with jools holland is usually rubbish and as per usual it didnt let me down! Couldnt hear the mighty JPJ at all :)

Well that was pretty disappointing, bass was way to low. JPJ may as well not have been there.

I will give SS a bit of credit though, it may not be to everyones tastes but I saw him at the Albert Hall and after the gig he got off the stage and spent time in the audience chatting and signing stuff for people. So full credit for going that bit extra.

[quote name='daz' post='1235138' date='May 18 2011, 03:24 AM']Your all cloth eared. I heard his bass fine unless i was audio hallucinating again.[/quote]

You and me both. I guess there must be lots of people with crap speakers attached to their televisions.

I also think, to those criticising JPJs tone, he *probably* knows what he's doing.

[quote name='Toasted' post='1235375' date='May 18 2011, 10:53 AM']You and me both. I guess there must be lots of people with crap speakers attached to their televisions.

I also think, to those criticising JPJs tone, he *probably* knows what he's doing.[/quote]

Im sure he does but wouldn't he be at the mercy of the sound engineer(s)

I like SS Steve, it doesn't matter to me if he's percieved as putting it on. I've got his first CD and yes its a little lack lustre in places which is disappointing. However thats the style he plays and he doesn't seem to me to be anything other than he is... ...EVEN if that risks appearing lack lustre. Besides which you can't blame him for surfing the wave of popularity while it lasts any more than Lady Gaga.

It is what it is - good time foot stomping hollering jump joint music! Who cares if it's not strictly authentic, or SS is jumping on a band wagon. He enjoys, he makes money, the crowd love it, everyone is happy! You're all miserable buggers on here :)

And, I could hear JPJ okay - admittedly the headphones were cranked though :)

I quite like Seasick Steve. So there!

Besides, I also find that a gu*tarist that doesn't tip up with more effects than Muse to bash out a bit of 12-bar most refreshing.

And I couldn't hear Jonesy, either.

Whether the blues police think Mr Seasick is 'authentic' or not is entirely beside the point. He is making a healthy living, which the late Mr Burnside is not.

It is furthermore rumored that - despite his advanced years - the gnarly old codger is bathing in a lake of pussy. Hats off to him.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1235720' date='May 18 2011, 02:04 PM']Whether the blues police think Mr Seasick is 'authentic' or not is entirely beside the point. He is making a healthy living, which the late Mr Burnside is not.[/quote]
Of course, but we're all entitled to have a little chat about whether we think he's any good or not. :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1235735' date='May 18 2011, 02:12 PM']Of course, but we're all entitled to have a little chat about whether we think he's any good or not. :)[/quote]
Indeed you are, my dear old bun! If my post seemed to suggest otherwise, please put it down to a poor choice of words. :)

I would never for a moment consider you to be a blues policeman. For shame...

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1235811' date='May 18 2011, 03:08 PM']I would never for a moment consider you to be a blues policeman. For shame...[/quote]
I don't mind that he's not authentic, and he's not rubbish. It just puzzles me why he's so average, yet so revered....

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1235841' date='May 18 2011, 03:26 PM']I don't mind that he's not authentic, and he's not rubbish. It just puzzles me why he's so average, yet so revered....[/quote]
He's a human Roadworn in a world of Affinities. :)

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1235660' date='May 18 2011, 01:27 PM']It is what it is - good time foot stomping hollering jump joint music! Who cares if it's not strictly authentic, or SS is jumping on a band wagon. He enjoys, he makes money, the crowd love it, everyone is happy! You're all miserable buggers on here :lol:

And, I could hear JPJ okay - admittedly the headphones were cranked though ;)[/quote]

Got it in 1 I'd say. Yes, bass was there but very low. Just a bit 'o fun for JPJ. Classic Skankdelvar line in the post above.

Balcro.

Yep, although SS is obviously talented and has done well getting something slightly off centre into the commercial market, it does nothing for me

And yes, couldn't hear the bass like most Later mixes, surely the engineers on later messed up there ?

Edited by lojo