Why become a member? ×

Are there any real benefits to buying a bass brand new?

Evil Undead

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1225486' date='May 9 2011, 07:55 PM']As it says on the tin :lol:[/quote]
Yep - you get a brand new bass :)
Buying from a shop that's had it on display for 6 months & has been played by 473 people doesn't count as new :)

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1225496' date='May 9 2011, 08:05 PM']Yep - you get a brand new bass :)
Buying from a shop that's had it on display for 6 months & has been played by 473 people doesn't count as new :)[/quote]

I agree. But my local music shop keep bugger all basses in stock, so they order in what you want :lol:

I have major gas for that Matt Freeman signature Squier, and pretty sure I won't be finding one of those used yet! But don't wanna just throw money at something brand new when there's awesome stuff to be had on the used market

ive never noticed any good things from buying a brand new bass.. apart from its new.. but what does that get you? especially for the extra cash you have to pay.. for me used is the way to go.. for most of the time a used bass plays better.. IMO..

why buy a brand new jazz when you can get a nearly new un scratched jazz for half the price.. the beauty of bass chat

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1225503' date='May 9 2011, 08:09 PM']....Are there any real benefits to buying a bass brand new?....[/quote]
Lots. Can you buy a 5 string P Bass and then sell it to me.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1225515' date='May 9 2011, 08:17 PM']Lots. Can you buy a 5 string P Bass and then sell it to me.[/quote]

It`s thinking like this that helped us beat the ruddy bosche!!!

Good lad!!

Jez

Some basses are too new to buy secondhand, I really wanted a new version of the Ray 5 (2008 onwards at least) with the (IMO correct) Alnico humbucker so there are not many to choose from used as it is then to find a colour you like etc aswell. That probably cost me say £450 over a used version if I could of found one in a colour and fretboard combination I liked which if you are 20 a day smoker is only 10 weeks of fags :) Its only 35 weeks worth to get you the whole bass and fitted hard case :)

Well. With new, you know there are no problems that could have arisen from previous owners messing with it (i.e, a fekked trussrod, broken stuff). But if you can get used from a reputable source, it comes preloaded with playing mojo so the instrument has lost the sterile aspect.

That said, i have bought about 4 basses new. And sold 2 and modded the other 2.

[quote name='tommorichards' post='1225608' date='May 9 2011, 09:46 PM']Well. With new, you know there are no problems that could have arisen from previous owners messing with it (i.e, a fekked trussrod, broken stuff).[/quote]
The most trouble I ever had with an instrument was one that I bought new. Within a couple of months the pickups had died & the finish started to peel off the body. It was covered by a warranty but it was a real pain getting the company (GIBSON!!) to honour it.
The nightmare I went through with that guitar put me off buying new forever.

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1225668' date='May 9 2011, 10:45 PM']But answer me this? Am I a snob for not being keen to gig with a Squier logo on my headstock?[/quote]

Nobody will look at the logo on your headstock. FWIW I did about 30 gigs in the last year with a standard Squier Jazz that I bought used for £100 on here, nobody ever batted an eyelid. I keep thinking I should replace the pickups because they are pretty rubbish but I am happy enough with the neck on it.

I agree. The badge on the headstock doesn't count for much really - tone and playability is much more important. It's probably only other bassist who will look at the badge perhaps, but b*ll*cks to 'em if they look down their nose at whatever you're playing :)

Edited by Jerry_B

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1225668' date='May 9 2011, 10:45 PM']Some interesting responses. I'd like to find a used white MIM P bass but it seems they are few and far between, and don't exist at all with maple boards :)

But answer me this? Am I a snob for not being keen to gig with a Squier logo on my headstock?[/quote]

A bit of a snob especially if your after a mim which gets you into entry level Fender logo territory but who cares? if you enjoy the real deal then go for it. The colour/fretboard combinations are always planned to tempt you into buying USA versions, The only rw boards I have are on my acoustic and Squier Jazz I would always go for maple if it's on offer.

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='1225689' date='May 9 2011, 11:17 PM']I agree. The badge on the headstock doesn't count for much really - tone and playability is much more important.[/quote]

Not to mention cheapness. You really appreciate the cheapness of a Squier the first time you knock an important lump off a Fender.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1225693' date='May 9 2011, 11:19 PM']A bit of a snob especially if your after a mim which gets you into entry level Fender logo territory but who cares? if you enjoy the real deal then go for it. The colour/fretboard combinations are always planned to tempt you into buying USA versions, The only rw boards I have are on my acoustic and Squier Jazz I would always go for maple if it's on offer.[/quote]

Would you say that for example a Squier CV is better quality than a MIM Fender?

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1225771' date='May 10 2011, 04:45 AM']Would you say that for example a Squier CV is better quality than a MIM Fender?[/quote]
I have played more nice Squiers than MIM's although I did have nice mim strat that has since been upgraded to a USA one. I'm not a snob I just like to buy the best version I can of stuff it's my hobby at the end of the day.

I buy what's available. Of the guitars and basses I own some were bought new, some were second hand and some were made especially for me. Many of the instruments I'm interested in are now out of production and therefore getting a used one is the only way.

IMO for some custom made instruments getting them made specially for you is the only way to go. For instance the other Sei basses I've played are nice, but from my PoV they're not as good as the one that was made for me, and conversely I wouldn't expect anyone to be completely at home playing mine.

The only thing that puts me off buying used is excessive wear (including cosmetic wear), in which case I'd be looking for a price reduction to compensate for the amount and cost of work required to bring the instrument to a state where I'd be happy to play it. Even if I was into the relic look, the what and how I play means that the wear patterns that I would generate are quite a bit different from those I usually see on instruments.

[quote name='Jigster' post='1225857' date='May 10 2011, 09:15 AM']may have been said already further up, but the depreciation of something is always a killer - I think there are few benefits tbh -can get gear on here that's used but immaculate[/quote]
Deprecation in musical instruments has never bothered me. I buy stuff because [i][b]I[/b][/i] like it. That's all that matters.

IMO if you pick an instrument with half an eye on the resale value, then you're never going to be 100% happy with it and as a consequence you'll end up selling it.

I played the Matt Freeman Sig bass in Dawsons, Leeds at the weekend!

Felt / looked great but felt £400 was a little too much....

I only buy new when i know there's little or no chance of finding what i want on the used market!

My most recent purchase had to be new as ive never seen a Sadowsky Metro RV5 PJ in Candy apple red for sale here before :)

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='1226053' date='May 10 2011, 12:24 PM']I played the Matt Freeman Sig bass in Dawsons, Leeds at the weekend!

Felt / looked great but felt £400 was a little too much....

I only buy new when i know there's little or no chance of finding what i want on the used market!

My most recent purchase had to be new as ive never seen a Sadowsky Metro RV5 PJ in Candy apple red for sale here before :)[/quote]

Hi Chris!

Did you buy the Sadowsky fresh from them directly?

I look at their prices from GuitarGuitar and they are INSANELY high...plus they always have the same stock, and the last time I went, they were hung next to the window with the summer sun directly on them!