Why become a member? ×

Alleva Coppolo

CHRISDABASS

I'm not sure, but this could feature one of AC's oversized J bodies - Jimmy Coppolo moved to a larger sized body for his J 5s (as an option?) around 8 or 9 months ago I think. I also think the idea was (in part) to provide visual balance with the broader neck. AC is a bit of a religion inthe US and I'm sure you'll find all sorts of discussions of the tonal impacts/nuances of body size on TB's Alleva Club (I've more or less given up - it's all got a bit esoteric)

[quote name='lozbass' post='1213517' date='Apr 28 2011, 09:10 AM']you'll find all sorts of discussions of the tonal impacts/nuances of body size on TB's Alleva Club (I've more or less given up - it's all got a bit esoteric)[/quote]
Sounds fascinating Loz! Sadly I will be washing my hair instead or watching paint dry ...

FWIW, I agree with the OP - in general I think ACs are very beautiful things but that particular bass looks disproportionate and bloated to me

I think Jimmy makes these bodies slimmer (front to back) but then makes them oversize so the mass of the body is the same, sounds like a decent theory but to me it just looks odd!! For me the standard jazz body is big enough already! I never thought jazz fives ever looked out of proportion.

:)

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1213984' date='Apr 28 2011, 05:21 PM']That daft, bloated headstock has always looked naff too.[/quote]
This.
The rest is okay, as it's upscaled to match the spacing @ the bridge. Taper to the nut looks extreme, though.
As for the headstock, even more suited to kayaking than a Warwick :)

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' post='1214123' date='Apr 28 2011, 07:47 PM']As a few people our saying, why do they insist on that headstock?! It'll be down to some subtle nuance in tone or something, but to me looks bloody daft[/quote]

I'm sure it's supposed to be a high mass design to help eliminate dead spots but it just looks clumsy.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1214129' date='Apr 28 2011, 07:51 PM']I'm sure it's supposed to be a high mass design to help eliminate dead spots but it just looks clumsy.[/quote]i really love the big bodied bass..tis why i love the original jazz shape... i bet that bass smokes tone wise..!!!

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='1213480' date='Apr 28 2011, 07:56 AM']Is it just me or does this body look HUGE?!?

[url="http://allevacoppolo.com/accessories/alleva+coppolo+hippy+dippy+trippy+bass"]http://allevacoppolo.com/accessories/allev...ppy+trippy+bass[/url]

:)[/quote]

stop being a bitch, just because you cant afford one!!!!