Why become a member? ×

Best Bass-related compliment.

Lfalex v1.1

Despite giving our EP a pretty bad review a reviewer commented - "The deliciously produced bass sound has both the snapping tanginess and the warm smarminess needed for the different dynamics of the song." I almost died of happiness, I then read the rest of the review which described us as "ridiculously cheesy, like a sketch show making fun of an advert." which helped shrink my head back down to size..

Went into a room full of stoned music students at a party, started cranking out some of my own stuff on the bass.
"Man thats amazing, who is that? I wanna learn it"
felt good man, although it may have been the weed talking

And I taught the dude my lines in exchange for some entirely legal substances...

Edited by Ross

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1201618' date='Apr 16 2011, 10:21 AM']Sir Stafford Cripps once complimented me on my golf swing, but that probably doesn't count. In matters bass, a punter once remarked:

"Gav naja nuvver sonnng, szfukn graaaaaaaate, kin ava go? Bez zfukn bann evva - EVVA! Yoo mi mayt? Wez mi mayt? Vukkov."[/quote]
My mother got stuck next to Stafford Cripps at a lunch do once. 3 hours being unmercifully regaled about Ghandi and Colitis. As soon as he mentioned golf, she replied "Thank you, but I feel I've been handicapped enough for today, and furthermore, should I ever find your balls in the rough within my proximity, I'll kick them so hard they'll be up your hole in one before you can shout 'Fore'. Good day sir."

Last compliment, from someone I hadn't seen in years: "I didn't know you were such an accomplished bass player."
The answer that came out: Errrrr...... You still don't. I'm not.

What I really wanted to say: "Any accomplishments are dwarfed by your ability to heap extra ridicule upon the bald head of truth, and also by my ability to collapse your statement in less than a single bar. Which is where you undoubtedly sprang from." *

* Five hours of literary toil and it still doesn't quite work. Pass a fresh Chaise Longue I'm feeling weak again.

Two middle aged ladies came up to me at half time once and said "Could we ask you a question? Are you a teacher?". I said no, but why did they ask, and the answer was that they had been watching me play the bass and my hands were so smooth it didnt look like I had done a days work in my life!!!

Thats the nearest to a compliment I have ever had.................................

Waaaay back in the late 80s, in my originals band at the time... we were going for it, we had the image and the clothes and the hair, yes even me... and we had a really great set of catchy original material. We were starting to get interest, Island records were especially keen, and so we spent our whole time gigging up in London to get noticed. Slap was bbbig at the time, I was well into it and, just to blow my own trumpet, I was pretty good at it too. At the time, anyway. :) Anyway... we were playing support one night at, was it the Rock Garden? can't remember for sure. Hey, it was 24 years ago, give me a break :) One of our tunes featured a short but fairly brutal slap solo, which I took... and having finished it, looked up into the audience... straight into the eyes of the god-like Nick Beggs, one of my heroes (turned out he was there as a guest with the headline act). I nearly died of shock. He smiled, raised his pint at me and mouthed the word 'nice'.
I was walking on air for months after that.

From a recent online review. Funny as I take pride in my self restraint :)

'…today we hear the riches accrued. Rich baritone, cello driving melody as much as responding to it, sharp-as drums, but it’s the bass that really catches the ear tonight: positively Beatley in doing so much more than it needs to, songs so much the richer as a result'

[quote name='bobpalt' post='1203553' date='Apr 18 2011, 01:23 PM']Caught my first Tench for 30 years yesterday! Was I a happy bunny or what![/quote]
Excellent mate! Gorgeous fish, I love tench.

I christened my new 1950s MkIV split cane rod with a 8lb 4oz bream last Sunday. Mind you I've seen fish in Waitrose with more fight in them.

Best one we had was at an outdoor festival in Ramsbottom, Lancashire......

A drummer friend came along and was walking down the hill when we started playing Journeys "Seperate Ways" ..... he said "It sounded like 100 cannons going off when the bass and drums kicked in!

HOOOOOO HAHHHH Ill take that any day of the week!

Having just played the Real Ale Festival in Loughborough in 2009 with a 3 piece + mouth harp/singer, the band was greeted individually and nice things said about everyone, but as my hand was shaken I was introduced as 'the guy who held it all together.....' - a very nice compliment, I thought!!!!

Mind you, it was a Real Ale Festival - everyone was pissed!!! :)

G.

My singer saying to me - "listen carefully cause you won't hear it again, that bass sounds f***ing awesome!"

Got compared to both entwistle AND gene Simmons after one gig, not sure how that works though? Lol

The rest of the band regularly say that fill you did in the studio is amazing! Not so amazing when I tell them it's been there since we wrote it!! Ha ha nice to be noticed sometimes though

Very early on in my bass-playing life, at a rehearsal, one of our friends who had popped in for a listen, described my bass playing as "very much like Bruce Foxton". Which seeing as Bruce is one of my fave bassists, I was quite pleased about, especially as I never set out to sound like him, as to me, playing like that was waaaaayyyyyy out of my league.

And in two bands I`ve been in that recorded singles, the engineers at the recording studios both said that "I held the band together". Which to me was a compliment, but probably meant I played only root notes, with no fills.

A drummer I was playing with once compared my playing on a particular track to Andy Fraser. Given that this drummer was a mardy git who hardly ever complimented anybody and that Andy Fraser is one of my bass gods, it really made my day.

I've had a few comments from audience members at gigs how I held certain songs together.

But one I remember most of all was overhearing the singer in one of my originals bands telling someone - "Technically, he ain't the best bass player in the world, but what he does is always absolutely spot on. More often than not, his bass lines MAKE the song."

That was a while back - I've worked on my technique a bit since then!