Why become a member? ×

How many of us go out single handed ??

bassbluestew

I've bust a string (no spares) at a paid gig once. I'd lost the fear of that happening somewhere along the way - and was one of about 3 gigs I did without a spare set of strings (due to putting the spare set on another bass).

I had to play the whole 2nd set with 3 strings. I still don't feel Iike I'd need to take 2 basses though. I agree with Bilbo, it's so unlikely to happen (I bust maybe a string every two years). It's not worth trying to manage that risk other than to take spare strings.

And I do take a screw driver. I've fixed all sorts at venues. A jack socket, an instrument cable, changed fuses etc, not all mine, but for me, far more useful than a spare bass.

I have had amps die on me though. Twice. Though rather than taking a spare, I just try buy more reliable gear and look after it / get it serviced etc.

Taking two basses because I might want to use two is a different matter, I might do that. I never have, but I might.

But then I only own one hard case.

Edited by bigjohn

I only took one bass out on gigs for years. Then at one gig I sat watching one of the bands on before my lot took to the stage. The E on the bassist's old P-Bass copy gave up the ghost mid song. He was so flustered he didn't really recover, and tried muddling through the song. He didn't have any strings, and had to borrow a bass from another player (not mine because I'm a southpaw). After seeing that I've always taken two with me. Only had to use it once fortunately.

My main bass is active only, so I always make sure my backup bass is passive (I've changed it a couple of times over the years) just to avoid a dead battery in the backup!

I've always only taken one (spaces issues) but for an upcoming dep gig i'm taking 2. Mostly for the chance of getting to play them live since i've had them months and they've not been used in anger yet. But also to be able to swap between sets and get a different sound as the sets do change quite significantly in style.

99% of the time I've only taken one, because mostly I've only had one bass to take.

The only time I've taken two, a part of my mind was occupied worrying about the safety of the spare.

Reliability wise, I tend towards simple, passive basses (I think over 50% of my basses have been P's) and check them over regularly. Apart from a broken string many years ago I've never had a problem. I'm more likely to get an injury than I am to have a bass fail IMO.

I think it was Don Was (Was Not Was) that not only had just the one bass, but also kept the same strings on for over a decade and toured with no spares at all.

In my lifetime, I've broken strings a couple of times, and had a pickup die on me mid-song once.

The first time it happened, I didn't have a backup. I learned quickly.

If I'm playing to 200 people who've paid a tenner each to get in, it's my responsibility to make sure I can do what I'm being paid to do.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1323429938' post='1463216']
In my lifetime, I've broken strings a couple of times, and had a pickup die on me mid-song once.

The first time it happened, I didn't have a backup. I learned quickly.

If I'm playing to 200 people who've paid a tenner each to get in, it's my responsibility to make sure I can do what I'm being paid to do.
[/quote]

And what if I'm playing to 200 people who've paid a Tenner each, and I'm NOT getting paid? That's happened enough times.

If Im not being paid and 200 people have paid in, i'd be furious. I won't play free gigs unless its for a worthy cause or we have an arrangement. If I were to go back to playing originals, I would definitely take lead with the financial side of things and ask for a least all costs to be covered.

I always go out with one bass now. Mainly for space needs, but if I start playing larger and larger more professional gigs, and I have better transport, Ill take two with me.

Before my current band (I can only carry one upright bass!), I only ever took one bass with me as I tended to play sh*t-holes with between 10-50 people in the audience with my punk band and, before that, in my metal band I only had one bass* :)

[size=2]* This was obviously before I joined BassChat[/size]

Always taken two as I've had a top banana Levys Double Gig bag for donkeys years meaning it's just as much effort to carry one bass as two. However, in the many hundreds of gigs, I've only NEEDED a backup bass twice (battery death and a faulty switchcraft jack socket).

It's win-win for me. Apart from helping me out the soft-and-stinky in instances like the above, I like having two as it gives me tonal options and allows me a bit of variety if I fancy a change.

T

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1323433473' post='1463281']
If Im not being paid and 200 people have paid in, i'd be furious. I won't play free gigs unless its for a worthy cause or we have an arrangement. If I were to go back to playing originals, I would definitely take lead with the financial side of things and ask for a least all costs to be covered.

I always go out with one bass now. Mainly for space needs, but if I start playing larger and larger more professional gigs, and I have better transport, Ill take two with me.
[/quote]

+1

this annoys me.. I do feel about 99% if they are paying a musician, that musician gets taken seriously and if they are not paid that don't give a $hit. The venues that make money and the bands who entertian get nothing??? no thanks. If it's an interesting project maybe.. I'd only take two bass if I want two different sounds really or if it's a well paid function miles away. I'm tempted to get a dual gig bag, but if i'm honest I generally use one bass on any particular gig.

[quote name='algmusic' timestamp='1323435468' post='1463326']
+1

this annoys me.. I do feel about 99% if they are paying a musician, that musician gets taken seriously and if they are not paid that don't give a $hit. The venues that make money and the bands who entertian get nothing??? no thanks. If it's an interesting project maybe.
[/quote]

I've rarely been paid. I've frequently taken on "interesting" projects, but only ever end up dramatically out of pocket due to rehearsal and travel costs. Hell, I might even entertained someone once, but in this financial climate, if it don't put ££ in my pocket, take a few steps back, run up and jump, Sonny.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1323429938' post='1463216']
[/quote]

Fair point. If I was a pro or semi-pro muso then I'd feel the same way and would have a spare bass at all times (and probably a spare amp in the car as well).

But I play for fun in an amateur band so I don't feel overly obliged to to spend too much on duplicate gear. If you pay peanuts you get monkeys, right? :)

Never had a spare bass with me.
When I was a guitarist for a few years, my mate and I used to bring a spare between us for the odd string breakage.

On the odd occasion I've broken a string on a bass, I've continued playing with one hand and laced a new one in with the other hand.
It's fair to say that I wasn't being a virtuoso at this point, but it's perfectly possible to hold down the bottom end with one hand.
Stay on the meaty strings and the sound stays nice and fat.

I've never ever had a bass break on me.

Regarding having spare amps, sorry not going to happen.
We have a 2.4kw Logic PA. If my amp lies down, I'll be plugged right into my bass channel of that quicker than you can blink.

I've never ever let the paying punter or customer down and don't see me doing so either.
If it helps, most of the guys I've played with over the years haven't brought spare guitars or amps either.
I've never been in a band that let the audience down through a breakage.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1323453946' post='1463644']
Used to take 2 and still do for "important" gigs but mainly only 1 bass these days. Theres another thread somewhere here where most players have stated that they rarely if ever break strings so you have to wonder why they would need a backup bass.
[/quote]

When the time comes that they do snap a string, they'll wonder why they didn't bring a backup.. :-)

Of course, some people only have one bass, and that's understandable.

[quote name='JohnFitzgerald' timestamp='1323454167' post='1463648']
Regarding having spare amps, sorry not going to happen.
We have a 2.4kw Logic PA. If my amp lies down, I'll be plugged right into my bass channel of that quicker than you can blink.
[/quote]

And if the PA breaks down?

I can see the point of most in a cramped pub gig or something but the point about paying punters coming to see a pro set-up is good, IMO.

If in the event that something happens and you can swap out then thats 20 seconds between songs and hardly anyone may notice
but it is the way you deal with these sorts of things. If I paid to get in, I'd be thinking what sort fo outfit can't cope with a down situation
seamlessly. For me, I'd just pick up another bass and we'd carry on as usual. If I am watching someone restring, then that is crap, IMO

Strings fatigue and batts die and both have happened in the last year albeit not on important dates
but two basses is no hassle for me, I'll make use of both, anyway.

I can think of a couple of band leaders round here that would not have you back if you let them down like that...so it is upto you.

I broke a string last night at rehearsal. Everyone, including me, was amazed. I carry spare strings but it takes a little while to change. I am using the same bass tonight at a gig - if I'd have used a different bass last night the string would have broken during the gig. I'll take a spare from now on - I have a Hohner B2A that doesn't take up much real estate..

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1323463499' post='1463768']
And if the PA breaks down?
[/quote]

The whole band's screwed.
Roland TD12 drums.
How many precautions can you realistically take ?

I did take the precaution of moving form active speakers to power amps. I wouldn't like to think that they'll all go down at the same time.
Mixer completely dying ?
Who can allow for that ?

Honestly, I don't think I've ever had a bass fail on me, or an amp for that matter.
I know it could happen some day, but where do you draw the line ?

I do see the point in a spare bass on a stand. Absolutely, but I'm afraid I don't see me going any further than that.