Why become a member? ×

Im going off flashy basses..

bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1167903' date='Mar 19 2011, 03:19 AM']your Jazz is wonderful by the way.. the GAS is all mine.. that really has to sound fantastic... whats it like by the way... ive always been curious... smooth tone, polite, agressive?[/quote]
In my views, the Dingwall Super J perfectly covers all of the best aspects you come to expect from a P / J bass. There are two opposite sides to this bass, passive and active. In passive mode, the neck pickup gives me the best Precision sound I have heard so far, very apt to a genuine Fender sound, woolly great for pick sound, and always present in the mix, the other pickup, the j-style one on the bridge has this honky and sparkling attack with an incredible range of harmonics, that I find in other basses are difficult to hear as they just don't ring out as easily as they do on this one. Of course the result of the extended fretboard range and the fan fret syestem gives it that always accurate pitch no matter how low or high you are playing on the fretboard, particualrly the low B is the most defined and consistent I have ever found, even on a Stingray. In conclusion I have appreciated that playing a bass of this level definately enhances your creativity and technique, there are notes that you can now play that before would sound approximate, whereas now they are helping you in complementing your phrases and solid low end definition.

The active mode scares me, I mean it. Jeckyll and Hyde, the Glockenklang preamp needs some getting used to to tame it. It's only a two band preamp with a bass and a treble boost, that can dramatically open up your frequency range, I have to be very careful with the bass boost as a little goes a long way and too much of it can be very hard on the speakers. Overall I can consider myself pretty much in bass heaven, with 3 Dingwalls each different in their own category, that work very well for me and have made my life a lot easier also due to their very light weight, the lightest of them is my ABZ 5 which weighs 7.12lbs which is a blessing on long gigs, specially at my age. If you get a chance try one, you will be amazed.

I used to drive a 2CV and now it's a Volvo estate (no hat!). For me it's the same difference with basses.

There are people who can tell the difference between the sound and playability of different makes of bass. If that difference is important to you then it's worth the extra cost.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1168075' date='Mar 19 2011, 11:30 AM']I used to drive a 2CV and now it's a Volvo estate (no hat!). For me it's the same difference with basses.

There are people who can tell the difference between the sound and playability of different makes of bass. If that difference is important to you then it's worth the extra cost.[/quote]

True.

Agreed, as long as whatever you play makes you smile when you play it then who cares?

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1168022' date='Mar 19 2011, 10:30 AM']I thinks it's all down to what you want out of a bass.

If you like the look of the traditional designs, there's hundreds of options at every price point out there, and one of those will be the right bass for you whether it's a £59 Sue Ryder or a boutique J-style bass costing 100 time that.

I you want something a bit different from a sound/ergonomics/aesthetic PoV then your options are significantly reduced.

For instance I love the look sound and feel of some vintage/classic basses such as the Ovation Magnum, Gibson EB3 and Travis Bean TB2000, but these days I only play 5-string basses, so if I want one to actually play rather than just part of a collection, I've going to have to have it custom made for me which will cost.

Get a cheap bass or an expensive bass. It doesn't matter so long as it's the right bass for you.[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1167921' date='Mar 19 2011, 06:16 AM']I am a posh kid who has spent too much money!!

I'll throw in my two pence worth here, I have a GB Rumour which was built for me a couple of years ago and has a fantastic feel, look and sound. Great as it is I am having a lot of fun with my beat up old 74 jazz bass at the moment which yes you could say is still an expensive bass because it is old but at time of manufacture would have been seen as cheap compared to a custom built bass from a bespoke luthier.

To compound this I have also just bought a 1977 Musicman Stingray and I bet that will get some serious use when it arrives next week.

So I can see where you are are coming from, mass produced basses can give the bespoke lot a good run for their money but ultimately it depends what you are really after, great sound and feel or that and a stunning looker too!! If you want all three then you have to go bespoke and spend big!![/quote]i will make an exeption when it comes to your GB Mark... :)

I have two basses that are worth more than my others, a 1964 Hofner Violin bass & a 1992 Rickenbacker 4003. But it's these 2 Precisions (1 Fender 1 Squier) that I seem to be spending more time with recently. Grand total for both basses aprox £300.

I have a very pretty and fancy 5 string bass with a blonde quilted top..it sounds nice and I use it for certain sounds but the one that gets ALL the attention is a vintage look J5 in white with red tort.

I love this bass for its sound and it is my NO 1...but people just graviate towards its looks..and the other one is far more fancy..

Very happy with both and made by the same guy, but..?????

I can never really understand why anyone [i]wouldn't [/i]want an exotic or boutique bass if they could afford one without having to think about the cost

I have no arguments that there are a zillion lower cost basses out there that sound, look or feel great but the OP's quote was "if i had £5000 to spend on only bass" - with that in mind I'd really want to spend the money on a £5K bass rather than, say 5 x £1K basses. Not least because you can only play one at a time, lol

In fact I spent all of last weekend on a stand at the London Bass Show watching people try out basses worth between £4K and £8K and at least two people came up to me openly saying they wanted to try one simply because they were sure they weren't worth the money. After 5 minutes one of them was discussing how much I thought he could sell his 5 basses for in order to pay for the £8K bass he'd just been playing :)

Pretty much every person that played one of these beauties walked away muttering how amazing they were to play and saying "one day". . .

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1167869' date='Mar 19 2011, 01:23 AM']Jeeeez Barrie.. forget this thread..what you Gassin for?

most of your boutique basses, are not that flashy, but very expensive.. i always loved that Louis J bass you had..

i can only think of 2 bass companies that may have a deposit of that sort of money..Alembic and Fodera... i dont think your an Alembic man, so im guessing Fodera... i bet my pants on its a Fodera.. you should really branch out and try a Sukop or STR.. and let me know how the Sukop went...[/quote]

Actually I'm not really gassing for anything much at the moment, lol.

But if I did have £5K to spend only on bass then I'd absolutely try out something at the very highest end of the market. Fodera basses still slay me on sheer playability so that would definitely be my favourite - maybe a custom build with much 'darker' sounding woods than my Yin Yang :)

Im not sure what we are classing as boutique or exotic and the price bracket that counts? I wouldnt really want a boutique or exotic bass as far as something out of the ordinary/coffee table style. To some people my Ray5 with a list price of £1710 is a lot of money to others thats just a deposit so the arguement goes up and up, On and on. Is a pre EB exotic? They are very rare compared to a Sadowsky or a Roscoe etc but just because there isnt a lot of something made doesnt make it good.(Obviously they are brilliant!) but you know what I mean. A £600 pound bass would be a lot of money for someone to spend and should do everything as well as a model for twice the cash and often does G&L for example but Im as guilty as a lot of others for spending more and it makes me happy, I wont be buying a sterlingRay5 anytime soon :)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1168022' date='Mar 19 2011, 10:30 AM']Get a cheap bass or an expensive bass. It doesn't matter so long as it's the right bass for you.[/quote]

Totally agree with this. I don't get why the price of the bass should matter or whether it's "flash" or not, what matters is do [b]you[/b] enjoy playing it.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1168022' date='Mar 19 2011, 10:30 AM']Get cheap [b]basses[/b] or expensive [b]basses[/b]. It doesn't matter so long as they're the right [b]basses[/b] for you.[/quote]
Excellent advice, but it needed just a lil' [i]adjustment[/i]
You're always allowed more than one!!

[quote name='chris_b' post='1168075' date='Mar 19 2011, 04:30 AM']There are people who can tell the difference between the sound and playability of different makes of bass. If that difference is important to you then it's worth the extra cost.[/quote]
In my experience most people who claim they can, can't. But they can still be upsold that extra cost if it's marketed well. They also usually associate tonal differences with anything they've paid more for. For example spalted chestnut tops, Fodera calls them tone sinks that need to be filled with superglue to prevent it from falling apart. Owners of the bass will call it exotic tonewood that makes a difference if you can hear it :) It's a religion, if you're in no amount of evidence can change your mind.

It would be very interesting to get a number of basses - say 6 jazz or precision basses in a range of prices and makers, from the cheapest to the most expensive and have them all set up with the same strings, action etc.
Then let players test them through the same amp with the same settings in the same room - blindfold.
Those players would then be asked to rate the 6 basses in order of preference - I wonder what myths would be challenged and/or supported.

I've got nothing against people owning expensive basses and I've bought a couple of basses myself which were over £1500. The problem I find is that most basses in the £500 - £800 bracket are great workhorses and I find I'm reluctant to take the expensive stuff out. With a recent change in circumstances I'm finding it harder to justify what I thought were keepers as they don't get played live

I always like to compare this kind of thing to cars as basses are all opinion so you can't base it on fact.

A £15,000 car will get you from A to B nicely, you can put your stuff in it and it'll be fine.
A £45,000 car will do the same job, but it'll probably feel nicer and have better performance.

Will it be 3 times faster? No
Will it carry 3 times the stuff? No

It's all down to whether or not you can justify the extra expense. I've gone through a phase over the last year and a half of going from gear that "does the job" (Ibanez BTB406QM > Carlsbro bassline 150) to my current set up which looks, sounds and feels amazing. The retail is probably getting on for 6 times the amount though, it's not 6 times better, it's just worth the extra money to me because the 50% better it is makes me happier.

It's a good point but if you buy good old vintage basses then 99% of the time they are going to have a fair bit of mojo on the so what difference does another scratch or ding make? That is where I am at with my jazz bass. If you did have a pristine jazz from 69 for example then yes I agree you may worry about getting a mark on on it.

My Rumour is is perfect condition so when I gig that it is either on me or in the case and that keeps it safe - If you follow that rule then surely you can take out your most expensive bass and then just enjoy it?

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1168889' date='Mar 19 2011, 09:40 PM']I've got nothing against people owning expensive basses and I've bought a couple of basses myself which were over £1500. The problem I find is that most basses in the £500 - £800 bracket are great workhorses and I find I'm reluctant to take the expensive stuff out. With a recent change in circumstances I'm finding it harder to justify what I thought were keepers as they don't get played live[/quote]

[quote name='redstriper' post='1168843' date='Mar 19 2011, 09:08 PM']It would be very interesting to get a number of basses - say 6 jazz or precision basses in a range of prices and makers, from the cheapest to the most expensive and have them all set up with the same strings, action etc.
Then let players test them through the same amp with the same settings in the same room - blindfold.
Those players would then be asked to rate the 6 basses in order of preference - I wonder what myths would be challenged and/or supported.[/quote]

I'd love to see this actually

I agree with what others have said; as long as you enjoy playing it, that's all that matters.

Apart from the fact I can't afford expensive boutique basses, I don't feel that I could ever justify spending megabucks on a bass unless I was filthy rich, or making a good living out of playing bass (both highly unlikely!).

I've always felt that there is only so good a bass can get. Of course a handbuilt bass will usually feel nicer to play than something mass produced, but the bass is a pretty simple instrument as instruments go. At what point do you stop paying for the functionality of a bass and start paying purely for looks?

I also agree with what other people have said in that perhaps there is a certain placebo effect with boutique basses. Perhaps we just perceive them to be much better because we want them to be better and we feel they should be for the money they cost. Who knows..... I like redstripers suggestion of testing some back to back.

All that said, if I dropped the lottery next week, I would go out and buy some expensive basses!

[quote name='redstriper' post='1168843' date='Mar 19 2011, 09:08 PM']It would be very interesting to get a number of basses - say 6 jazz or precision basses in a range of prices and makers, from the cheapest to the most expensive and have them all set up with the same strings, action etc.
Those players would then be asked to rate the 6 basses in order of preference - I wonder what myths would be challenged and/or supported.[/quote]
Most of the issues with cheaper basses are things like low quality tuners that don't hold unless your a tickler, scratchplates folding up/coming away, pickups or surrounds becoming loose when used a thumb rest, poor earthing, control pots (this would be the biggest give away IMO) that are wobbly or so easy to turn the find their own position and jack sockets that give up quite soon etc. All easily changed yourself overtime and most issues should be dealt with by about the £300 bracket but a lot of people don't want to fiddle about with what to them may be a big purchase, I'm not sure I would of started to drill into my Peavey Foundation after spending £275 on it when I was 15 years old for example. Most of those issues wouldn't be found on this blind test IMO.